Quick Genesis controller fix

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Just in case anyone has a worn out Genesis controller, I found a quick and easy fix that I can vouch for that works like a charm. Mine isn't as elegant, but effective and only takes about 5 minutes.

My situation was having to smash down on the buttons of this controller to get any input. Just take little pieces of aluminum foil and set it the contact points and the functionality is restored.

*So I just tried to upload a picture and I'm getting an error* :mad:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
The conductive rubber pads just get oxidized. Scrub them a bit with an alcohol-soaked Q-Tip, and use an eraser to clean the contacts on the PCB. Makes the controller "like new" again.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
The foil might slip and do damage if it shortens the controller.
What Jibbajaba said is a better solution

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
See, I actually did that first with no success. I actually didn't see much corrosion either. I can understand how it could wear stuff out with the aluminum. I've had a few drinks and have buddies over and got impatient be honest.

Edit: I didn't actually use an eraser on the board contacts. I'm pretty fucking handy with a lot of shit but electronics isn't one of them.

Last edited:

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
you could also use self adhesive foil tape

That's actually the correct thing to do if you're going to attempt the fix (according to the video where I got the I idea).

Like muppeT mentioned, the sliding around can do damage which is why the tape is better. I ended up going McGuiver on it and used a drop of modeling glue to keep them in place. Not the best thing to do, but I wanted to use the controller immediately. It worked in a pinch.

I actually tried cleaning off the contacts on the buttons like Jib mentioned above, but didn't use an eraser on the board. The board contacts looked pretty clean and I did scrub them a bit, just not with an eraser since I didn't see the post until afterward. That being said, I'm starting to think that the extra material was needed anyway as if the buttons were smashed on over the years and the conductive rubber was crushed. The foil fix worked which made me think it was less of a corrosion issue and more of a non-contacting issue.

All in all, any fix with a metal probably isn't the best idea since it's eventually going to wear on the board where rubber won't. I'd consider this more of a late night fix so you can play but don't plan on the controller lasting forever.