RATE IT : Metal Slug 4

Metal Slug 4

• Total voters

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
MS4 is SNKP's sprite-rip-faggotry at it's best, er, worst. It gets a 1. It also makes me regret ever buying it.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Still have it on MVS but i rated it a 7.

Beside it is a cut&paste job afther all.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Imo the levels are way too long in MS 4 and 5. I like the quick short levels of the first 2 much better. Even the 3rd one starts to get into larger levels. My problem is, its so hard to rescue the POWs and finish the level without dying on 3,4, and 5. But all in all there isn't a bad title in the series. I'd still rather play my least favorite metal slug then most of the current gen crap out there today.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
xmods said:
But all in all there isn't a bad title in the series. I'd still rather play my least favorite metal slug then most of the current gen crap out there today.

I'm not sure I would, who bothers with MS4,5 or 6?

I'd rather play something else any day, over those.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Thought about it..I gave it a 7-voted.....Then look and the majority vote is 7..:glee:

...I played through-ran through 4 and 5 a few times but ,I really didn't spent that much time with this game like other slugs..
...4 & 5 are my least played Slugs..
I still feel it's a 7 ...

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
I gave it a 4....Don't get too hyped playing it, but it's still MS and that's gotta count for something.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I don't get how people give it a 7

I mean, have you played the game?

What do MS1,2,X,3 get then. because it better be bloody higher than 7

I dunno .. 13 maybe?

games_sk

Mr. Big's Thug
Definitely worst in the series. Feel sorry for anyone who bought the aes on release.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
kernow said:
I don't get how people give it a 7

I mean, have you played the game?

What do MS1,2,X,3 get then. because it better be bloody higher than 7

I dunno .. 13 maybe?

I think they are just trying to say its better than average and compared to just about any other game it would prolly rate higher but due to the fact that the metal slug series is so incredible that it just doesn't quite stack up to the top 2 or 3 metal slugs. My fav in order are MS1, MSX and MS5, 3 and 4 are both great but not as stellar as the other 3 imo. You can easily see how this series became so popular with the first one and the second one is just as fun but with alot of slowdown, so x was an obvious choice as #2. And 5 does alot of fun things expecially in the last half of the game. MS3 just has a couple parts i can't stand. I actually turn on the cheats just to blow through that level. Its the one where if you get hit by purple smoke or whatever you get changed into a zombie and can't do shit, yeah thats the one. And 4 just has the longest levels i've ever seen. They seem to go on forever. There was a few times when i lost interest while playing just due to the fact that doing the same thing over and over gets boring. But it does offer some fun parts, just not as many as 5 imo. I'd rate 2 as the worst due to untolerable slowdown and 3 and 4 right behind it for parts that either get old or are annoying. The sad thing is without those few annoying levels the games otherwise are just as good as any of the others.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
MS4 is not average, it is distinctly below average, even for a metal slug

2 is by no means the worst in the series, it is the 2nd best probably due to MS1.

the slowdown really doesn't bother me in 1 player

its a great game

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member

Don't give a rip about reused sprites or backgrounds. Never played the original MS and even if I did, it still wouldn't make a damn difference.

The SS series reused a truckload of backgrounds and I still love the hell out of it.

Just another example of me being the minority...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
kernow said:
2 - complete and utter fucking garbage

rotd = garbage
ms4 = garbage
SS5 = garbage
SS5S = garbage
KOF2003 = garbage with lipstick on

anyone care to add?
Jesus Mary & Joseph!! Kernow why don't you just throw anything else in there post SNK!

I gave it a 7, because it's obviously ,my least favorite, but the combo system is cool like said before, and the little intercation with some of the "old pals" is kind of cool to see!

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
I disliked this title so thoroughly that I sold it off rather shortly after buying it upon its release (and this is when I was still stuck in "rabid collector" mode). To this day I contend that the series peaked with 3 and definitely should've ended there.

FrZi

n00b
I'd give it a 7. Granted it's not the best Metal Slug game. But I don't find it bad enough to never play it ever again.

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
I didn't like the themes or the bosses in MS 4. Even 5 had more pizzaz and I'm not a big fan of 5. So I will give it a 6. Not completely awful, but it didn't grab me either.

I agree with those saying that the gameplay suffered a tad in MS 3. If the gameplay of MS 1 and 2/X could be combined with MS 3's graphics...the perfect MS would form in a blinding flash of light!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
dear heavens look at all the 7s this game gets.
Denial?

One-Up

Armored Scrum Object
5 - which is really a bad score - I wouldn't buy a game with such a score.
I don't like the bosses, simple as that. Why play a bad MS when you can play a good one? There are simply too many good games to warrant playing it.

Princess-Isabel

Geese's Thug
I'm giving it 8.
altough it's not totally awesome, it's great.
any of the metal slug series really can't be judged as a average game, it's always fun to turn any MS title and enjoying it tremendously!

slugnoid

Another Striker
don't have it so I can't say... I'm divided about picking it up due to all the guff it gets. I have 1, 2, X, and 3 on MVS and am more than happy with those, so I'm put off by any slug that might tarnish the name.

X, 1, and 2 are my top picks btw... 3 is cool, but not as fast as the first 3.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
FrZi said:
Different opinions?
well yeah, but to me, it's kinda like seeing a bunch of people give Supes 64 some 7s and 8s.
Empathize with me here so that I may learn to empathize with you.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
OK The funniest thing, I gave my niece a Wii Metal Slug Anthology so she could have some NEO fun, she's a big fan of the KOF series already, so she played the games for about a month and I asked "which is you favorite slug?" She replied "The FOURTH one" I asked her how come, she mentioned that it was more playable, and had cooler characters/vehicles.

So perhaps this is why so many of us don't like it, because I think it could of been oriented for a newer generation. Same thing with MS Advance. I do love both games myself, but I know that most of the clan dissaproves.