Recommend me a TV!

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Anyone have a suggestion for a LCD/LED for around $1000-1200? I've read reviews online and its kind of overwhelming the amount of choices now. :help:

Thanks.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Application?
Movies, Sports, Games?

Which room of the house?
Well Lit living room or Basement?

Viewing distance from seating area?

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Application?
Movies, Sports, Games?

Which room of the house?
Well Lit living room or Basement?

Viewing distance from seating area?

Movies and games mostly. Fairly well lit living room. Probably 7-8 feet.

Been thinking about the VIZIO XVT423SV for full array backlit, matte finish, good value and pretty good reviews.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
What size are you looking for? 42 inch? I'd steer towards Sony/Samsung if it were my cash. I just like the Sony sets, but Samsung had quite a few that impressed me as well. For the money, I'd honestly think about throwing a little more at the equation and start looking at plasmas as well. Panasonic have a couple that are just stunning right now (and what I ended up purchasing last year around this time). They're not much more and you'll get more bang for your buck than with an edge-lit LED screen.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
For the money, I'd honestly think about throwing a little more at the equation and start looking at plasmas as well. They're not much more and you'll get more bang for your buck than with an edge-lit LED screen.

Now I'm a plasma guy, but he might have issues. He said it was a "well lit living room". Might have annoying screen glare from the sun.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Now I'm a plasma guy, but he might have issues. He said it was a "well lit living room". Might have annoying screen glare from the sun.

True. I have to drop the blinds sometimes if the room is too bright. I just love the color reproduction too much, though ;) I was never a big plasma guy. This set has made me a believer.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
What size are you looking for? 42 inch? I'd steer towards Sony/Samsung if it were my cash. I just like the Sony sets, but Samsung had quite a few that impressed me as well..

I'll throw in the same and maybe even add Panasonic or even some of the Toshiba sets in that range are pretty damn good. I'd rather have a slightly smaller set from Sony/Samsung/Panasonic/Toshiba then a slightly bigger Vizio any day.

Also, I want to add, the best thing you can do is go to a site like CNET, read reviews, read customer reviews. Write down maybe 6 sets your interested in and then spend a day going to stores just looking at the sets. Take in the pictures (don't just go one place cuz some may have bad feeds to a given set and it's not a fair judgment call) and then make your pick. You're talking about something that you plan to spend over a grand on that you will plan to enjoy for hopefully a decade, so take your time and make the right choice. It'll be worth it in the end.

I'm just going to keep editing with extra stuff that I've learned on TV shopping. If you will be hooking up ANYTHING standard dev, try and find in the reviews how well it upscales. Not as much of an issue as it used to be, but you don't want to be watching standard def and just have everything always looking deinterlaced or blocky all the time. Just something to think about that people sometimes ignore.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I'm a panasonic plasma guy as well.

I'd go that route for everything but a living room that gets too much light.

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
Anyone have a suggestion for a LCD/LED for around $1000-1200? I've read reviews online and its kind of overwhelming the amount of choices now. :help:

Thanks.

My suggestion is just to go to your local Best Buy or whatever electronics store you have near you and look at the TVs in action, it is easy since they are all next to each other. that's what I did. walked out with a killer deal too, you just need to make sure whatever unit you choose has many different input ports (important for gamers) and scans at 1080 LCD is best for gaming Plasma is best for movies I would not go with LED they have not perfected it yet and some of them have improper scan rates and movies like Avatar end up looking like soap operas.

I went with LCD and am insanely happy got a 36 for under 600 and the picture is beautiful.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
Im also a panasonic plasma guy, and i have a bright living room. Glare doesnt seem to be an issue here.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I actually had a panasonic plasma and the video board went out after only two years and it was basically totaled because it was going to be more to fix than it was worth.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I have a 46" Samsung LED that I bought last summer for around $1100, and I'm pretty happy with it. Great picture, good size, and didn't really go over my budget. But it did look like there are quite a few really nice quality TVs that you can find at a pretty reasonable price these days.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
My suggestion is just to go to your local Best Buy or whatever electronics store you have near you and look at the TVs in action, it is easy since they are all next to each other. that's what I did. walked out with a killer deal too, you just need to make sure whatever unit you choose has many different input ports (important for gamers) and scans at 1080 LCD is best for gaming Plasma is best for movies I would not go with LED they have not perfected it yet and some of them have improper scan rates and movies like Avatar end up looking like soap operas.

I went with LCD and am insanely happy got a 36 for under 600 and the picture is beautiful.

yikes
terrible way to shop for TV's. who knows how well the employee set up the TV.
good for relative shopping but not for Picture quality.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman

Also note that the "soap opera" effect (120/240 Hz interpolation) can occur on LCD and LED. Remember that LED is an LCD with LED edge or backlighting. The interpolation is common now on all current LCDs. Note that you can scale back this feature a couple levels or just completely turn it off.

... and yes, as mentioned above... this is generally a bad way to view PQ.

Now if they let you play with the remote's settings to adjust picture and pop in your own reference dvd/bluray.... OK. But typically the store lighting and the default picture setting (dynamic) is really bad.

Last edited:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
After some research, I picked up a 46" Sony BRAVIA KDL-46HX800 (linky).

So far loving the set. With game mode turned on, the lag is unnoticeable. You can find it for $1,100 to $1,200 on a good day. Plus t's 3-D compatible (which who knows where that will go). Got a 240 hz refresh rate and the white & black are very rich. Very impressed so far. Plus I'm a whore for a Sony.:D

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
yikes
terrible way to shop for TV's. who knows how well the employee set up the TV.
good for relative shopping but not for Picture quality.

:(

sorry .....I renig then

I am very happy with my purchase.

Perhaps I was just lucky

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
In my experience, LG makes fantastic, expensive TV's. I've got 3 LG sets in my house and love every one of them.

They're over priced at most retail stores...so shop around.

Also, you can't really go wrong with the new Bravias.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Just stay away from Samsung.

Just curious, why is that? Did you have a bad experience with their TVs, or something else. Most people I've talked to recommend their TVs. Is there a specific reason that makes Samsung a worse TV than a Sony, LG, Panasonic, or Sharp?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Just curious, why is that? Did you have a bad experience with their TVs, or something else. Most people I've talked to recommend their TVs. Is there a specific reason that makes Samsung a worse TV than a Sony, LG, Panasonic, or Sharp?

I've had a Samsung DLP since summer of '07 or '08, and a month ago it broke. Reading on A/V forums with the real nerds turns out it's very common and will happen in that amount of time. Even worse instead of just the lamp dying it was the whole power supply, which would have cost $900 alone had I not an extended warrant. $900, man. Just to fix my TV. Not even including labor.

But what bothered me most is, like I mentioned, how extremely common it is that these TVs last only a few years before an inevitable repair which would cost in the hundreds...and at that point, why not just buy a new TV.

Just left a sour taste in my mouth. Now for the rest of my life, no matter what product it is since Samsung makes more than just TVs, I'll stay away from Samsung.

Phyeir

I've had a Samsung DLP since summer of '07 or '08, and a month ago it broke. Reading on A/V forums with the real nerds turns out it's very common and will happen in that amount of time. Even worse instead of just the lamp dying it was the whole power supply, which would have cost $900 alone had I not an extended warrant. $900, man. Just to fix my TV. Not even including labor.

But what bothered me most is, like I mentioned, how extremely common it is that these TVs last only a few years before an inevitable repair which would cost in the hundreds...and at that point, why not just buy a new TV.

Just left a sour taste in my mouth. Now for the rest of my life, no matter what product it is since Samsung makes more than just TVs, I'll stay away from Samsung.

Don't blame Samsung for that (well you should for THAT but not all their other sets), honestly anything that was made in through the 2000's that is a non-CRT projection was in hindsight an ill-advised purchase. They usually involve that lamp for projecting light that either A) has components get damaged due to heat or B) get damaged due to ultraviolet light. My Sony SXRD started having issues in 4 years due to that, lucky there was a large lawsuit and I was able to get a replacement LCD set.

Mitsubishi, Sony, Samsung, Projection LCD, DLP, doesn't matter who made it or the type of rear projection (non CRT), they all suck balls. If you have one, you're living on borrows time. It's like having a release X360.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Don't blame Samsung for that (well you should for THAT but not all their other sets), honestly anything that was made in through the 2000's that is a non-CRT projection was in hindsight an ill-advised purchase. They usually involve that lamp for projecting light that either A) has components get damaged due to heat or B) get damaged due to ultraviolet light. My Sony SXRD started having issues in 4 years due to that, lucky there was a large lawsuit and I was able to get a replacement LCD set.

Mitsubishi, Sony, Samsung, Projection LCD, DLP, doesn't matter who made it or the type of rear projection (non CRT), they all suck balls. If you have one, you're living on borrows time. It's like having a release X360.

It's why I still have my lovely Sony 970. If you can find a Sony 32" CRT 970, buy it in an instance. It's only 1080i yes, but it's one of the best sets ever made and I'll put it against my new Sony any day.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Ive heard the 2008 Pioneer Kuro is the best set ever made according to a lot of people. I guess these are still like $5000?

Phyeir

Yeah, at that price, it better be.