Record collecting

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Music On Vinyl is shady. They re-released a Glassjaw album and never paid the band.

I found that out after I got their re-issue of De-Loused in the Comatorium (mars volta). They apparently got the rights for it from the UK rights holder, not the band. It was technically legit but still shady as hell from what I gather.

Sucks too, it's a nice 180g pressing. I'll keep it but I'll think twice before I order from them again.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I found that out after I got their re-issue of De-Loused in the Comatorium (mars volta). They apparently got the rights for it from the UK rights holder, not the band. It was technically legit but still shady as hell from what I gather.

Sucks too, it's a nice 180g pressing. I'll keep it but I'll think twice before I order from them again.

Ah, OK. Good info. Yeah, seems like they're in the clear but in a shitty way.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The only record I've bought recently is Aphex Twin's Syro, which has been on heavy repeat. Very good album imo, a lot more 'mature' than most of his work. This along with Autechre's Exai were a nice surprise from a 'genre' which I haven't paid much attention to for a while.

To the fellow with the Wu-Tang 36 Chambers record, I've heard the vinyl release is actually pretty mud quality? Any truth to this? Such a great album, and one I'd love to own on vinyl, but not if it's a bad master.

Also, gotta love Del and the protoculture :)

As for my discogs, it's at http://www.discogs.com/user/fluxcore/collection - however most of my collection is CD. I bought a bunch of vinyl when Ninja Tune started some of their VIP represses, but then I filled up my record storage space and have had to hold off a bit.

I haven't listened to it since I got my new stereo. But I've been meaning to. I will let you know next week. I really don't have the original cd to compare it too though.

I would suggest getting liquid swords first though.

I use to have Bone: e1999, but it was pure crap. They crammed the whole album on one lp and removed songs. It was so quiet and shitty. Hopefully that album gets some love soon.

Next on my rap last is Geto Boys: we can't be stopped and the great adventures of slick rick.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
They got nice releases though.

I haven't listened to mine yet but others said it sounded like a cd rip. It wasn't a 180 gram pressing but I'm wondering what their standard process is of mastering their version of the press.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The only record I've bought recently is Aphex Twin's Syro, which has been on heavy repeat. Very good album imo, a lot more 'mature' than most of his work. This along with Autechre's Exai were a nice surprise from a 'genre' which I haven't paid much attention to for a while.

To the fellow with the Wu-Tang 36 Chambers record, I've heard the vinyl release is actually pretty mud quality? Any truth to this? Such a great album, and one I'd love to own on vinyl, but not if it's a bad master.

Also, gotta love Del and the protoculture :)

As for my discogs, it's at http://www.discogs.com/user/fluxcore/collection - however most of my collection is CD. I bought a bunch of vinyl when Ninja Tune started some of their VIP represses, but then I filled up my record storage space and have had to hold off a bit.

I tested it yesterday. It's been a very long time since I heard the cd. So I could not compare the cd to the lp. But my first impression is 36 Chambers is a shit pressing. The vocals sound great, but all the beats sound very quiet. It's almost as bad as Bone 1999 eternal. I'm going to keep it for now, but I will be picking up the cd and comparing. My guess is I will now sell my lp. It is pretty bad. If I can tell, then it has to be. Because I'm not good at picking out minor imperfections.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I can confirm 36 Chambers has a shit vinyl master, inexcusably bad.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
4-21-2010.jpg

I know this is a month-old post, but I Robot is a fucking good album!

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Picked this up yesterday
KQ5vX2m.jpg

Wasn't aware they made a release in gray. Definitely not as nice as the italian release I had before, feels quite a bit lighter and no fold-out sleeve. Apparently this is the german release.
Even the 80's weren't safe from trash releases.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
That's some good stuff. That KMFDM really stands out.

I have More and Faster as well, but its not in that pic. For a related KMFDM item, in the second to last pic the white sleeve with the yellow label inside, that's Braindead Sound Machine. ;)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Finally got my Jukebox (Rockola 488) so I have moved up to ordering 45's (instead of just buying them at $00.25 from the local Book Sale).

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I was looking at the Zeppelin remastered lp's yesterday. The deluxe editions are so cool. I only have money for one right now, and I'm wondering if any of them will be rarer than the others.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I knew there was a vinyl topic. I couldn't find it last night because I was searching for vinyl instead of records ^_^' So I posted in the metal topic instead.

View attachment 21709

Nabbed this yesterday. Love the album art. Can't wait to listen to it today. Need to hook up that old turntable.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I was looking at the Zeppelin remastered lp's yesterday. The deluxe editions are so cool. I only have money for one right now, and I'm wondering if any of them will be rarer than the others.

The guy at the record store I go to, who is very knowledgeable, said only a few of those zeppelin deluxe editions are worth picking up because the bonus tracks are crap. But I think he said deluxe zeppelin 1 is the one to get because it has a live concert as the bonus material.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Of course, the Witness album skips :oh_no: I guess it could be my equipment, too. It can handle a brand new record without issue, but an older one must give it issues. I've heard about replacement cartridges or something. Maybe I'll pick it up as a project.

I need to find the Witness album on CD, though.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Of course, the Witness album skips :oh_no: I guess it could be my equipment, too. It can handle a brand new record without issue, but an older one must give it issues. I've heard about replacement cartridges or something. Maybe I'll pick it up as a project.

I need to find the Witness album on CD, though.

There's a lot of variables. Some records are pressed "louder" than others which can cause more skipping. Also, check that your turntable is level, you have appropriate tracking weight (right amount of weight on the needle by adjusting the counter weight) and that the anti-skate is set correctly. If it's skipping toward the inside of the record you need more anti-skate, if it's skipping toward the outside you can use a bit less (I think I have that right). The grooves of a record naturally pull the needle inward, anti skate is there to compensate for that. Generally if you have 2 grams tracking force your anti-skate is set at 2 as well.

If you're not using a nice cartridge and stylus, get on that first. Older ones will wear your records worse and are more prone to skip.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
The guy at the record store I go to, who is very knowledgeable, said only a few of those zeppelin deluxe editions are worth picking up because the bonus tracks are crap. But I think he said deluxe zeppelin 1 is the one to get because it has a live concert as the bonus material.

Cool. I kind of gathered that through various online reviews too. So I guess I'm getting Deluxe 1 and standard 2 thru HotH. Thanks man

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
There's a lot of variables. Some records are pressed "louder" than others which can cause more skipping. Also, check that your turntable is level, you have appropriate tracking weight (right amount of weight on the needle by adjusting the counter weight) and that the anti-skate is set correctly. If it's skipping toward the inside of the record you need more anti-skate, if it's skipping toward the outside you can use a bit less (I think I have that right). The grooves of a record naturally pull the needle inward, anti skate is there to compensate for that. Generally if you have 2 grams tracking force your anti-skate is set at 2 as well.

If you're not using a nice cartridge and stylus, get on that first. Older ones will wear your records worse and are more prone to skip.

Thanks for the help. It looks like there's not a lot I can do besides replace the stylus/cartridge. I dug up the manual, and there's nothing fancier about setting it up than replacing the stylus/cartridge. No anti-skate, no counterweight, nothing.

I was able to disassemble it and reassemble it, shy of removing the wires, and put it back together in working order (as well as it worked before), so at least I can count on replacing the stylus/cartridge to help as much as that can help.

There's a curious huge plastic dial thing on the back of the unit that's screwed into place. The manual makes no mention of it. I don't know if it would help, though.

It's a Fisher MC-705. It's funny. I dug up the manual, and it made mention of four wires, but there were only three wires. It looks like I've got one that ties the two ground wires together. It'll work electrically the same, but I thought it was funny. I had to go googling around about it. That was less funny.

Maybe I'll take my turntable/stereo/thing to Vintage Vinyl in the morning and see what they can do to help. I think they have some parts.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Honestly man, you should probably just buy a new turntable that has a good adjustable counterweight and anti-skate. An old used technics won't cost you that much, and your records life span will thank you.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Well, Vintage Vinyl didn't have the cartridge/stylus I needed, so I'm putting the project on hold for now. I might try to find something better at Goodwill or someplace like that and fix it up. But not for a while.

In the meantime, I paid way too much for a CD copy of Witness.

Hey, at least it was an extra-rare edition with 6 bonus songs. I love how the singer sounds. She might have been the female Michael Kiske if she did power metal.

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
http://www.discogs.com/user/Cornerb0y/collection

Here is most of my collection. I usually only collect for my favorite bands, unless I can find a deal. My favorites are:

Finch - Say Hello To Sunshine (Limited yellow pressing)
The Life and Times - Tragic Boogie
Circa Survive - The Inuit Sessions (Limited pink pressing)
Finch - What It Is To Burn (2002 Limited 2xLP blue/white and orange/white splash pressing)
Converge - Jane Doe (2010 Limited 2xLP white pressing)