Repair Party @ my place

knohbody

n00b
Color rom error, checked it out with the logic probe and looks like pin 53 ( I think, at work now, will have to look again when I get home) is stuck low on the neo-g0 chip.

Edit:
Color rom error bank0
Addresses seem random, write is always 5555, read is always either FFFF or 0000. Sometimes the screen is clear, sometimes there's static, sometimes it's a mostly blank screen and I can't make out the error.
Checked the cxk5864 sram with the logic probe and it seems ok (first time with a logic probe though)
Checked the 74ls273n chips with the logic probe. Found the one at B8 has pins 14 and 15 stuck low.
Traced 14 back to the neo-g0 chip, pin 54, which is also stuck low.
That's where I'm at now.

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Still looking good for me going. If things change I'll let you know. I'll PM you later for your address.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
You have a PM.

Hey 68k - your inbox is full so I can't send you my address.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
PM sent!

I have to go get another propane tank tonight and mix up the dip for the veggies then mix up the smoked salmon with the cream cheese. We got the food last night and tomorrow morning I have to get another 24 pack of water and ice for the drinks as the fridge in the shop isn't big enough for everything. Luckily we have an antique washing machine on the back patio that we use for holding ice and drinks. :D

We'll have grilled chicken legs (with Clark's BBQ rub on them), venison sausages, smoked sausages, and some pecan smoked sausages. I'll have a veggie tray set up and we'll have chips/salsa too. I picked up some Mexican Cokes, 2 kinds of beer, a Mexican peach drink that I like, and some misc drinks...

RJ

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I gotta figure out what beer to bring. The Girlfriend said to bring in some frou-frou microbrew with a way-too-hip-looking label, maybe I will for the hell of it lol.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Just no Heinekin...

Nobody wants to drink that stuff and it took me a LONG time to get all the ones I had consumed. I had only one friend that would drink it.

(I don't drink beer)

BTW: The Mexican peach drinks are awesome with a bit o'vodka in them. :D

Lios

n00b
I know it's short notice, but if I am able to make it up to the area by tomorrow, I don't suppose you have room for one more? I could bring the AES I butchered and am almost embarrassed to show anyone and any number of other half finished projects that I don't really have the tools or know how to properly finish at this time.

I don't suppose any of you tinker with rgb monitors? I'd love to gain some insight on this old Panasonic studio monitor I've had for a while now.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
WHOA! I had no idea you were going all out Raymond! I'll probably head that way around lunch. All I will be bringing is the FM Towns for the CPU swap, unless anyone wants me to bring something else. I'll give you a call before I leave.

Do you have a CRT VGA monitor at your place? If not, I can load mine up.

And don't worry, I won't bring any lawnmower beers (coors, bud, etc)

Can't wait!

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
I have an LCD VGA - an old Dell 20" that will sync with quite a few odd things. No more CRTs here other than the standard res stuff.

Lios, I'll drop you a PM with info. My monitor bench is covered with anti-static foam and chips right now so I don't have good place to solder on them. There will be some folks in and out that have monitor experience but that's with arcade monitors so I don't know what to tell you.

RJ

Lios

n00b
Looks like I won't be able to make it. I'd be in the area around 5 at best if I do find a way up there, so maybe another time when I have more foreword notice. (I literally just found out about this yesterday morning.)

I might be in the area this comming week, staying at a friend's place. I might just have to have my own little 'after-repair party party'. My friend still has his Virtua Fighter cabinent that needs fixing and I'm sure Adam will have some fun things lying around.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Looks like I won't be able to make it. I'd be in the area around 5 at best if I do find a way up there, so maybe another time when I have more foreword notice. (I literally just found out about this yesterday morning.)

I might be in the area this comming week, staying at a friend's place. I might just have to have my own little 'after-repair party party'. My friend still has his Virtua Fighter cabinent that needs fixing and I'm sure Adam will have some fun things lying around.
Count me in for that :)

RJ, I just woke up. Gotta take care of a few things then I'll be on my way. I'll post here when I leave.

20 Year Member
Raymond, a huge THANK YOU for the invite and the killer party. It was great putting so many faces to forum names. Once we get a house (hopefully soon), I will certainly return the hospitality and invite everyone over for a game/nerd night.

knohbody

n00b
Agreed. A big thanks to Raymond for the party, the food, and for sticking with my 2 slot from hell until it was 100%. To everyone who was there, thanks for making me feel welcome.
-James

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
holeh moleh that's hospitality like none other. About to dig through the repair logs!

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
For those of you who aren't on the KLOV forums, or can't view the Texas subsection, here's what I posted:

8 people made it today!

From the Neo Geo forums:
Knohbody
DanAdamsKoF

From the KLOV forums:
CEC_DFW
Troxel (All the way from Nebraska!)
Komodo
Raven
Punkshere2stay

We fixed boards, tested stuff, worked on all kinds of fun things! Pat arrived at 9:30 to help by bringing 2 extra chairs and his JAMMA test bench and the last person just left a few minutes ago - about 15 hours and I'm beat.

I grilled up some smoked venison sausages, jalapeno and cheese venison sausages, and some pecan smoked sausages. I mixed up some garlic and pepper smoked salmon with cream cheese to spread on some toasted baguette slices. There was a veggie plate with 4 colors of bell peppers, celery, carrots, and broccoli. My son mixed up the ranch dip (sour cream and ranch packets) for the veggies. There were chips, 3 salsas (mild, habanero, and ghost pepper), 3 types of cookies, some Twizzler bites, and 2 types of ice cream sandwiches.

Folks brought beer and some extra sodas. We went through 7 bags of ice today keeping everything cold. I had the soda machine almost full and the antique washing machine on the back patio was full of drinks. I had the game room powered up and we had all 3 workbenches going at once.

I never did go through the presentation! I'm still working on some of it but there was just too much to do.

I'm wiped out. It was fun and we'll do it again in the fall.

RJ

We had one KLOV member that flew down from Nebraska to attend!

Yeah, that 2 slot board was a bitch. The Color RAM Error from hell! Replaced the color RAM, the NEO-G0, the 74LS273 chips, and reflowed the NEO-B0. Found that if I touched one pin on the B0 with the logic probe the junk graphics on the screen changed. AH-HA! Grabbed an MV4 from the scrap pile and followed the trace. It went to the CPU, pin 51. Followed the trace with the continuity check on my mulitmeter and found it stopped under the CPU. Pulled the CPU, cleaned the gunk under it, reinstalled it, and patched one trace.

Now it gave a Z80 error. D0 data line was stuck low. Swapped Z80. Pulled the Sound ROM and found it had a good checksum. Swapped the sound RAM. Under the sound ROM was a bit of corrosion. Cleaned the corrosion mess and found a damaged trace. Reinstalled the sound ROM, patched the trace, and the board booted up and played games nicely. :D

It was a bitch.

So was the UMK3 board I repaired for CEC_DFW (David)... A banned forum member sold him (and had failed trades with other members that led to the banning) a "working 100% UMK3" board with a burnt component that wouldn't boot. Patched around a fried coil and circuit board char powering a 74ABT245 to the CPU to get a game board that would randomly boot/not boot/crash. Reflowed the DMA Controller and Orbit chips. Board tried to boot but had RAM errors, graphic corruption, and crashes. Searched and searched. In the meantime, the board booted to WWF and NOT UMK3! Swapped the ROMs and the security chip out with chips from a parts board David bought. Then noticed that the 74ABT244 buffer chip to the CPU wasn't getting power! Replaced an open surface mount coil and the game booted. It had a slight graphic corruption issue that was solved by swapping out one of the custom socketed PLCC ICs.

Those were the 2 big bitches of the day! And a first for me in that I've NEVER seen a chip partially working with NO power being applied to the power pin!

I was the self appointed grillmaster and we had all three workbenches going at once. :D

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
man, i wish i could have shown up, maybe next time, sounds like you guys had a blast :D

20 Year Member
Hey Raymond, any chance you might be able to take a crack at this Turbo Duo?

It was graciously given to me by kidpanda, and it works great sans the CD audio which is very quiet compared to the FM sound effects. Someone else replaced all the caps and they look good, but there is some corrosion near the audio section, so I suspect a corroded trace or maybe a damaged via.

I wish I had remembered to bring it with me yesterday.

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Ghost pepper sauce? Aw dude, I wish I'd picked up on that. I didn't even notice the salsa I think.
I guess I'll have some next repair party :)

My cab isn't wanting to power on right now (ongoing psu issue fixed only by random unplugging and some voodoo), once it fires up I'll let you know how that Konami board is doing.