Retrobrite Service

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
doesn't the retrobrite only last a few years? I heard the yellowing comes back.

Ya it does unfortunately. I retrobrited 2 dog bone controllers I got. They whitened up really well, they've been in a box for about 2 years, no light exposure and they're yellowing again. Guess it's the air exposure that does it.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
412   0   0
I've read that once you retrobrite them that you then need to then coat them with something to block oxygen from reversing the process with time.

You could lightly rub some Armour All on them and then rub it off.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I've read that once you retrobrite them that you then need to then coat them with something to block oxygen from reversing the process with time.

You could lightly rub some Armour All on them and then rub it off.

I wouldn't advise using Armour All for rubbing it off...I heard it can cause chaffing.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Would like to know as well. Also, it doesn't affect lettering, right? Have a white game gear that I'd like to unyellow as well.

It certainly can fade lettering if it is too strong and applied directly to it.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   1
its the material the plastic is made from that yellows from reacting to the air..

maybe you could retrobrite it and keep in an airtight container or just paint it I guess

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
its the material the plastic is made from that yellows from reacting to the air..

maybe you could retrobrite it and keep in an airtight container or just paint it I guess

Yeah the full equation is the flame retardant chemical in the plastic reacts with oxygen and light. If you cut out the light it reverses back slowly, if you cut out the air then you will most likely not need to repeat the process. I tested a spot on a net city and clear coated and it didn't change after a couple years. The rest continued to get darker although it was only exposed to fluorescent light. Problem is you probably don't want to clear coat systems, controllers etc as it will make it have a non stock finish. I experimented with vinyl dye recently and that shit is a myth, it's purely just paint and can't penetrate hard plastics.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
354   0   0
Yes, unfortunately the retrobrite isn't a permanent fix, as ABS plastic contains bromine which yellows when exposed to UV light.

I spray painted my SNES black because after only a year it was nearly just as yellow as before I cleaned it.

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Are you near Chicago? I could help out. I'm not a pro, but here's a game boy I did recently.

Before
IMG_20160415_123351009.jpg

Mid-Process
IMG_20160415_175525742_HDR.jpg

Done
IMG_20160416_183059762.jpg

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Ya it does unfortunately. I retrobrited 2 dog bone controllers I got. They whitened up really well, they've been in a box for about 2 years, no light exposure and they're yellowing again. Guess it's the air exposure that does it.

I've been doing research on this yellowing of plastic stuff. The core problem is all plastics are unstable in the long run but some are more stable than others. There are many different kinds of plastic and we call them all plastic. These different kinds of plastic age differently. So the key thing to figure out is what is the optimal way to preserve this stuff.

I'm curious do you live in a Humid area? Also, what temperature was the environment they were stored in? (i.e. like a closet in your air conditioned house or say in a non air-conditioned storage bin?)

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I read through the other thread with the candy cab and I all can say is this RetroBrite stuff is amazing.