RGB mod news

rhamaaa

n00b
just to let you know that I will be picking my RGB bypass-modded AES from Raven Games (London) in a few days

am usually way too busy to do the mod myself, and have the fear when it comes to sending my machine across national boundaries etc, so decided to pay through the nose - hell at least the work is guaranteed

let you know how it goes and how the image looks etc

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
hey buddy I'd appreciate if you could let us know how it is. I am considering doing this mod too. Well, I can't do it but would like yo have it done. But I am sure RavenGames charges a cow for that....
But let me know please if its worth it.
Also, noob like question (but I never quite got it :D) what does this mod do :D
I mean, yes its a bypass RGB mod, so it basically makes any serial number AES board have amazing RGB...right??? Please confirm as I get easily confused.... cheers ;)

rhamaaa

n00b
hey dude

the mod is really needed for those AES consoles with a late serial number, becase SNK reduced the RGB quality in the later models to get a better composite image (which is the connection standard for Japan)

it will give a RGB picture quality on par with MVS systems, where the RGB video output is (as I understand) hard wired to the video out chip
(in AES consoles there's a bunch of filtering etc and extra components due to the need to cater for composite and S-video etc)

hope this helps

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
LOL, what a rip-off: they charge £74 (= 110 euros). I've done this mod for several forum members and also included a stereo rewiring of the A/V port all for 30 euros...

rhamaaa

n00b
then there's shipping both ways to someone I've never met and don't know or trust

no thanks - will stick to what I'm doing thanks all the same

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
LOL, I'm not looking for customers (NO Kenny boy here), all the more so since I'm quite busy atm. But if you knew what the mod involves (which I showed on this very board time and again) you'd agree that charging that much is simply criminal.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
rhamaaa said:
then there's shipping both ways to someone I've never met and don't know or trust

no thanks - will stick to what I'm doing thanks all the same

You'd be far better off going with MKL and that's even if he wants your business. Raven Games have always been way, way over priced.

rhamaaa

n00b
thanks MKL yes I got that info earlier

seems pretty straightforward although I don't own soldering equipment nor can I be arsed to or have time to go and buy resistors etc

pity as yes would have liked to save a few quid

like I say at least the work is guaranteed etc

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
Raven....

Good luck, you will need it...the engineer at Raven is a f*****g clownshoe...
I know from previous experience..................................
before I knew better he said he could make my AES display red blood..after keeping it for 2 weeks he gave it back and said it could not be done.....
I did the blood mod (neo-geo.com bios),stereo mod and rgb mod myself in the end....

rhamaaa said:
thanks MKL yes I got that info earlier

seems pretty straightforward although I don't own soldering equipment nor can I be arsed to or have time to go and buy resistors etc

pity as yes would have liked to save a few quid

like I say at least the work is guaranteed etc

rhamaaa

n00b
got my machine back

glad to say that all is good with the image - all annoying cross-hatching issues are sorted. I now get pure black background (no annoying vertical stripe) and rich vibrant colours etc
only thing I was hoping to get slightly better was clarity of image - the mod still doesn't give as sharp an image as on my Xbox emu running in progressive scan - overall though it is clear that the image is as good as a Neo truly gets

on a cost note:
I tried to barter Raven down a bit and they weren't having any of it... not happy as they called me after two weeks saying they didn't know how to do the job! (yes I had to give them the info, they couldn't even be bothered to look on these forums properly for it). Not only that they tried to flog me a (really crap) 'superior' RGB scart lead just before.
just gives the impression of couldnt care less ripoff merchants - I won't be back there ever again - it left a sour taste after nearly 10 years on and off shopping with them, them knowing that I have others waiting for my feedback and that I work for a publisher etc etc
recommend you all do the same - the web is far cheaper!