ROTD worth getting!!

thrall

bhrall,
how is this game??...feedback on this game would be much appreciated..thx thrall spock

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Its decent, but nothing overly special.

Worth getting? Not for the price it's asking for now on AES. Hell I think that $100 on MVS is still too much to ask for it.

It plays ok, but it has a lot of problems. The CD combo system (its dial a combo basically since it tells you on screen what buttons to hit to complete the combo). This is only done after landing the CD attack, but still. Tag supers are easy as hell to pull off and can be abused massively w/o much skill.

Graphics are actually pretty good, not MOTW level, but damn good.

Sound is cool, but still not worth the price of admission.

Peace

JHendrix

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
MVS, absolutely. However I would not pay $ 300+ for it.

Great combo system (easy), very different game play. It is truly unique in the Neo universe. I highly suggest obtaining a MVS copy for around $ 100.00, cheaper if you search around.

If you only have AES, I would wait for Matrimelee. Similar price points. Matrimelee is supposed to be better.

Personally, I enjoy ROTD very much. Since I received it 2 weeks ago, it has been in my system almost daily. Very fun.

thrall

bhrall,
Thank you both very much ill wait for Matrimelee!
peace brothas.... glee

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
EvilWasabi:
What's the going rate for RotD these days?
$100 on MVS = Still too much.

I think you know what the home cart price is, but it might be worth getting if FTL's post is any indication... oh_no

Peace

JHendrix

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I've seen complete kits go for about a $100, some even a little less.

edit: In reply to Hendrix -

Well worth $100, it's a fun ride and I don't regret spending what I did when I bought it new.

<small>[ April 04, 2003, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Average Joe ]</small>

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
hasn't the ngh risen past $400? or am I smoking too much.

I like its combo engine.. but it seems they just "didnt turn off" the collision/hit detection in places other fighters would, thus making half the combo engine fall in place.

if you understand what I mean.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Well it's certainly not perfect, but if you go MVS a $100 (or less in many cases) price tag is worth it. It's something a bit different and it is fun for awhile, just not very deep.

$325 (or whatever the going rate for the home cart these days) is way too much for this game though. eek!

Tom

The Frog of Genjuro,
I really gotta get this it sounds great. I like the character designs. I just don't understand, how the price of the US cart jumped to about $400-450 when ncsx sells english copies new for $325.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
kernow:
hasn't the ngh risen past $400? or am I smoking too much.

I like its combo engine.. but it seems they just "didnt turn off" the collision/hit detection in places other fighters would, thus making half the combo engine fall in place.

if you understand what I mean.
Last time I checked, OtakuMW had a new JPN RotD on sale for more than 500 Euros, seems that the Japanese are really crazy about the game. I bought it from them on release for the usual $300-something... I don't really regret it because RotD can be fun with a couple of friends, but I definitely wouldn't buy it for the current going price.

I mean, the game is okay given the fact that it's a new fighter, not another part of a series, but IMO, it lacks replay value, specially if you play a lot vs CPU. Fights vs CPU charas are very predictable on any diff setting, you can easily tell when the CPU falls into the usual wall break+CD+DM routine, so boring.

Snooptalian

Hairdresser, ,
How does NCSX have Enlish copies of ROTD? I thought Shawn is the exclusive distributor for US AES games. Maybe NCS bought them from Shawn?

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Snooptalian:
How does NCSX have Enlish copies of ROTD? I thought Shawn is the exclusive distributor for US AES games. Maybe NCS bought them from Shawn?
They most likely bought them from him... wink

mog

Bead Banger
It all depends on if you like balanced fair fighters. ROTD is neither. The combo system is broken and waaaaaay to easy to abuse. In it's favor the character art is neat, if poorly animated.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
mog:
It all depends on if you like balanced fair fighters. ROTD is neither. The combo system is broken and waaaaaay to easy to abuse. In it's favor the character art is neat, if poorly animated.
I think that you're just playing against the wrong people.

The "First Impact" combo system is easily abusable against a computer opponent or a poor fighting game player, but anyone with the slightest bit of skill can see the start up motion of those moves coming a mile away...that's the whole reason why they are slow to come out.

cgun

Fio's Quartermaster
I don´t think the system is broken, it´s different thought. As far as i know you can put down an enemy with just one combo (infinity-style) but only with one couple (sonya and billy) on a level with walls.

First Impact´s are really easy to avoid and can be punished if missed. When i play against skilled opponents i won´t use them very much. Only when i get a wall juggle or when the opponent misses with a slow attack.

Regular Combos is built up the same way as i KOF.

I would recommend everyone to it try out. I you dish out for the AES release and don´t like it, sell it. Easy as that, right?