S-Video (4 pin Mini DIN) Pin Assignment question?

yuckydog

Morden's Lackey
I have an XBox AV cable that I've cut apart to use as an "extension" to connect the case audio and video plugs to the supergun's audio and video plugs. The composite video and audio plugs were easy since they were only 2 wires each. However, the s-video cable has 3 wires: 1 blue, 1 yellow and 1 bare (ground). My question is, which ground pin do I connect the sole ground wire to? The Luminance ground or the Chrominance ground?

Thanks!
James

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
yuckydog said:
I have an XBox AV cable that I've cut apart to use as an "extension" to connect the case audio and video plugs to the supergun's audio and video plugs. The composite video and audio plugs were easy since they were only 2 wires each. However, the s-video cable has 3 wires: 1 blue, 1 yellow and 1 bare (ground). My question is, which ground pin do I connect the sole ground wire to? The Luminance ground or the Chrominance ground?

Thanks!
James

Both of the ground pins should be grounded......

yuckydog

Morden's Lackey
OK, just realized that the s-video jack I got from Jeff actually has 6 pins on it. I'm assuming they are:
1-ground
2-ground
3-luminance
4-chrominance
6-composite video
7-ground

And the cable that I cut apart only had 9 wires inside of it. 2 for the composite video plug, 2 for each of the audio plugs and 3 left over for the s-video plug. There was only 1 bare wire in that remaining group of 3 wires...so which do I ground if I have to ground both C and Y? Or do I jumper the ground pins and connect the 1 ground wire to either one? :loco:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
yuckydog said:
OK, just realized that the s-video jack I got from Jeff actually has 6 pins on it.

Is it like this? The external pins are probably the frame/shield and need not be used. Just use the 4 internal pins.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
6 pins? What?

Are you counting the two larger stems at the sides? Those are not used. They are used for mounting (but not necessary). I don't bother with them as the nut holds plenty tight enough.

Pin 1 & 2 are Ground, so you can join these together if you would like. These are the two pins that are furthest apart from each other.

Pin 3 - Luminance (Y)
Pin 4 - Chrominance (C)

Look at this photo:

http://www.neostore.com/megamods/section03-11.htm

Jeff

yuckydog said:
OK, just realized that the s-video jack I got from Jeff actually has 6 pins on it. I'm assuming they are:
1-ground
2-ground
3-luminance
4-chrominance
6-composite video
7-ground

And the cable that I cut apart only had 9 wires inside of it. 2 for the composite video plug, 2 for each of the audio plugs and 3 left over for the s-video plug. There was only 1 bare wire in that remaining group of 3 wires...so which do I ground if I have to ground both C and Y? Or do I jumper the ground pins and connect the 1 ground wire to either one? :loco:

yuckydog

Morden's Lackey
MKL said:
Is it like this? The external pins are probably the frame/shield and need not be used. Just use the 4 internal pins.

JMKurtz said:
6 pins? What?

Are you counting the two larger stems at the sides? Those are not used. They are used for mounting (but not necessary). I don't bother with them as the nut holds plenty tight enough.

Pin 1 & 2 are Ground, so you can join these together if you would like. These are the two pins that are furthest apart from each other.

Pin 3 - Luminance (Y)
Pin 4 - Chrominance (C)

Look at this photo:

http://www.neostore.com/megamods/section03-11.htm

Jeff

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I needed to find out!

James