Safely using the 1 Slot Stereo Output with an New Astro City

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I wanted to make sure I safely wire up my MV1FS via Stereo to my New Astro City. Does anyone know if this is the correct way to do it? Is the 1 Slot capable of powering stereo speakers without an amp? According to the service manual it looks like it should, as long as you're powering two arcade standard speakers right?

Here's what I've done

1. Disconnect the jamma edge wiring (Mono) from reaching the speakers, via connector under New Astro control panel.

2. Set the Mono/Stereo pcb switch to Stereo

3. Connected a 4 pin connector to the Stereo 4 pin connector on the pcb.
Pin 1 Left +
Pin 2 Left -
Pin 3 Right -
Pin 4 Right +

13003967474_021ca586cf_c.jpg

4. Connected the 4 pin stereo signal to the stock 4 pin New Astro City speakers.

13003718693_81e8efd04a_c.jpg

13003965554_a70bf93b00_c.jpg

I powered it on with the Stereo volume control at min and the speakers pop once at power on. Then I turned the volume up and the sound was clear and seemed to be outputting nice stereo sound. I tested it for 1 min at lower volume and then shut it down.

Is this the correct wiring or am I doing anything wrong?

I want stereo but I don't want to add an external amplifier if the 1 slot can handle it out of the box.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I am curious too, what if I want to connect it to a amplifier with rca jacks.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
CN2 is amplified.

Mv1fs-page5.jpg

I am curious too, what if I want to connect it to a amplifier with rca jacks.
Use the header marked headphone.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
What about boards such as TMNT and the likes that output amplified stereo?

I have a TMNT and Simpsons pcb and i find that most of them that are amplified have a volume control pot right on the board so there is no need to add another amp (if thats how i read it) just adjust the pot to your liking after installing the board and making the correct connections and it seems like you did, Don't worry too much about the pop in the speakers, I have a factory built 4slot big red and every time i turn it on i hear a pop as well. I have had the cab for many years now and it never fails to pop or to run all my games, in fact i think i would be worried if i didn't hear the pop :-) Anyone else get the pop on their cabs?

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Well something is either wrong with my board or I wired something up wrong. I started playing a game at low-mid volume and after about 3 mins the right channel started to cut out. It got progressively worse and worse until only a small amount of treble was coming out of one speaker (I think the left) so I powered it off.

I really don't want to use an external amp for something that was designed to work without it. Is this a board problem or am I doing something wrong with the wiring?

From what i can see the wiring is ok, cept the tape lol have you tested to see if you are losing power at the port and if so i don't understand other that heat issue or yes a board issue why you would lose it after a timed amount.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Clean your pots with some rubbing alcohol and flip the mono/stereo switch a few times to clean itself. I had mine do that as well.

Anyone know where to buy the connector for cps1 stereo/neo geo/tmnt? As I am assuming you need to wire the cords up to it.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
So I had it running tonight again (I just bought this board off eBay japan) in Stereo and I wasn't getting any channels cutting out or volume being reduced like I had before. So I'm not sure if the board just needed to run a bit longer or if I had flipped the mon/stereo switch enough to clean itself. Thanks for the advice on cleaning the pots, will give that a go as well.