Scotch anyone?

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Bourbon is one of the liquors that I can really appreciate but I'd prefer not to drink it. I'm always thankful and accept it if someone offers it to me, but I just always taste dirt when I have it.

It's kind of like bison or grass fed beef. I understand that it's good, but for some reason the taste activates a part of my brain and makes me think of the smell of cow shit when driving down a country road.

Now, I absolutely love cooking with Bourbon. From sweet potatoes to glazes for BBQ, I've used it a ton for cooking and it works so well in so many ways.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
What's your thoughts on the Weller Reserve/12? I managed to get 2 bottles of the 107 but that is literally the last I've seen. I've never come across the other 2.

VoB isn't really all that good. My wife likes it for some odd reason, but I really do not. Tastes cheap to me. Another one that I finished of but disliked is Larceny...100% not a fan of that stuff.

Weller special reserve is one of my favorites, I can find it regularly at my favorite liquor store and for only $20. Its the cheapest of the 4 wellers, my favorite of the 4, and its my go to. Weller 12 is good but I can't have too much because it seems VERY sweet to me. And its the same damn thing as 12 year van winkle, just not from the center (sweet spot) of the rickhouse. Which is why you will never see it for sale. I've never seen it on a shelf here and only got mine at a tasting where they held drawings for bottles.

Thats a shame on the barton, I've really wanted to sample that and the larceny but both are no go in minnesota.

Now the wild turkey on the other hand I'm pretty okay with. I used to frequent a bar that did burlesque and I'd order the 101 everytime. Thinking of picking up a bottle of the 17yr masters keep too.

Last edited:

ChrisB

Another Striker
Like a drop of scotch myself, single malts are very nice indeed. The glenlivet 12 year old founder reserve is nice has a slight hint of orange, the old pulteney as well is a very good whisky. Dont care much for Glenfiddich though its over priced in my opinion, The macallan is probably one I go for if i ever see it on sale which is rare in the super markets here in the uk

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Like a drop of scotch myself, single malts are very nice indeed. The glenlivet 12 year old founder reserve is nice has a slight hint of orange, the old pulteney as well is a very good whisky. Dont care much for Glenfiddich though its over priced in my opinion, The macallan is probably one I go for if i ever see it on sale which is rare in the super markets here in the uk

I've only had the standard Glenlivet 12 that is common everywhere, never the founders reserve that you mention. Sounds interesting because I don't think I've ever noticed any fruit notes very often. None actually that I can think of in any other Scotch.

I would also highly recommend Kilchoman. I actually just finished the bottle. It's an Islay but it doesn't really nail you with smoke. I'm a smoke fan, but I know too much isn't for everyone like Lagavulin or Laphroaig. If those are too much, I'd still give Kilchoman a go.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I've only had the standard Glenlivet 12 that is common everywhere, never the founders reserve that you mention. Sounds interesting because I don't think I've ever noticed any fruit notes very often. None actually that I can think of in any other Scotch.

I would also highly recommend Kilchoman. I actually just finished the bottle. It's an Islay but it doesn't really nail you with smoke. I'm a smoke fan, but I know too much isn't for everyone like Lagavulin or Laphroaig. If those are too much, I'd still give Kilchoman a go.

To me, the young and non peated scotches on the market have a white grape quality to them.

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
To me, the young and non peated scotches on the market have a white grape quality to them.

Can't say I've ever noticed any grape notes in anything so far. I really don't think I've had many young malts to be honest. Not that I'm opposed to trying them, but it just seems like everything I've tried has been in the 12-18 year range.

I just opened a bottle of Highland Park because I was looking for something cheaper than Macallan, Talisker or Lagavulin. As many in the thread have noted, it's sometimes a very expensive crapshoot trying a new whiskey, but this really worked out. It's sweet, but not as sweet as the sherry casked scotches, and has hints of smoke, but nothing overpowering. I'm neglecting my bourbons because I want to drink this every night.

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
I just opened a bottle of Highland Park because I was looking for something cheaper than Macallan, Talisker or Lagavulin. As many in the thread have noted, it's sometimes a very expensive crapshoot trying a new whiskey, but this really worked out. It's sweet, but not as sweet as the sherry casked scotches, and has hints of smoke, but nothing overpowering. I'm neglecting my bourbons because I want to drink this every night.

I'm pretty impressed with Highland Park too. I actually didn't try it until someone brought it to the bachelor party. I have a dumb reason as to why I avoided it. It's because of the name. It doesn't have a very Scottish sounding name so I got the impression that it wasn't actually made in Scotland or something. I think I actually knew better, but the impression was just in my head.

Judging a book by its cover I guess...