Scrambled Video with Mv1c

I made a post in the "can't make new thread" thread in "teh drama". And I just noticed now I can make a thread, so either I reached the requirement or I was made an exception.

Either way, I thought my issue would be more visible, appropriate and get more replies here, So I'll quote and paste:

I purchased a mv1c and it arrived yesterday. I plugged it into my supergun (which hasn't had any issues with other jamma boards yet) but the image on the TV is bad, As if it was a VCR on really bad tracking (images rolling up and down, distorted, etc...) My supergun is self built, the video adapter I use is disconetinued, but it has composite and S-video outputs. I don't have any S-video cables and my TVs don't have ports for them. I plugged in my supergun using the composite cables

For good measure I plugged it into another CRT, but the issue is the same. I went into the neo geo tech support section and was surprised to find a "TV compatibility list"... Did I just get bad luck and both my CRTs don't work with my mv1c? or is there another issue? and if my TV is incompatible with my mvs, how come neo geo is so wierd and doesn't work when all my other boards work?

And again, if it's a TV issue, is there anything I can do barring buying a CRT that's known to work?

I have yet to actually encounter a TV that my CMVS has issues with. I'm running a Neobitz encoder though. Are you using a sync cleaner? What encoder do you have? What are the make and model of your TVs? This definitely sounds like some sort of sync issue.

The video encoder I have is from arcadeplaying.com It was a long, long, time ago. the site has gone down and purchased by others a few times now. I haven't used a sync cleaner in ages. I used to use JROK's along with whatever cheap adapter I could find (my current adapter has lasted longer than any other, maybe because I've learned to take better care of my parts). Once JROK's sync cleaner died I never used once since because everything ran just fine without it.

I still have a Weiya CV-04 on standby incase my current video adapter dies.

My two CRTs are a Sony Trinitron KV-27TS27 and a JVC C-20CL5

Last edited:

MidnightAbyss

Mr. Big's Thug
Hopefully someone comes along and gets this sorted. There's a little more info to go off of now. I'm not quite experienced as a lot of the other guys here so I'll hold my tongue. You're far better off in the hands of Xian Xi, shadowkn55, wyo, etc...

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'd be surprised if this was an issue with your CRTs... I'd venture something is wrong with your MVS-board.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I'd be surprised if this was an issue with your CRTs... I'd venture something is wrong with your MVS-board.

I believe rolling images are caused by sync issues. A video showing the issue would be nice, but it might be worth a shot trying with a sync cleaner. I also have a self-made supergun, and I use it with several different boards and systems. Some require the sync cleaner to be activated to work, others work only with it disabled. My Neo-Geo MVS works only with it disabled, but YMMV. Go figure.

Regards.

I believe rolling images are caused by sync issues. A video showing the issue would be nice, but it might be worth a shot trying with a sync cleaner. I also have a self-made supergun, and I use it with several different boards and systems. Some require the sync cleaner to be activated to work, others work only with it disabled. My Neo-Geo MVS works only with it disabled, but YMMV. Go figure.

Regards.

Ok. I'll get a lm1881 and hook it up to a breadboard and the video adapter tomorrow. If it's still scrambled afterward I'll make a video and post it.

Just making one final post incase someone searches for this in the future. Personally I hate when people just say "it's working now" and never explain what they did or what was wrong.

For me I got it working, It was a combination of the jamma edge being loose as well as the sync signal need cleaning.

Making sure the connection wasn't loose improved the image, but it was still rolling. Adding the sync cleaner (lm1881, with the 0.1 uf capacitors and 680k resistor in the appropriate places) gave me a perfect image. So it seems like, the neo geo rate is farther away from the tolarance than most jamma boards. (at least the ones I own)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just making one final post incase someone searches for this in the future. Personally I hate when people just say "it's working now" and never explain what they did or what was wrong.

For me I got it working, It was a combination of the jamma edge being loose as well as the sync signal need cleaning.

Making sure the connection wasn't loose improved the image, but it was still rolling. Adding the sync cleaner (lm1881, with the 0.1 uf capacitors and 680k resistor in the appropriate places) gave me a perfect image. So it seems like, the neo geo rate is farther away from the tolarance than most jamma boards. (at least the ones I own)

The LM1881 doesn't alter the sync rate. It just removes the unwanted noise and spits it out at the appropriate strength.

MidnightAbyss

Mr. Big's Thug

Good to hear and thanks for coming back to tell us. I hate that also. I can't tell you how many threads I've come across where they say they got it fixed but fail to elaborate. It's frustrating sometimes.