Sega CDX repair help.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Hey all,
so my buddy recently handed me his broken CDX and said replace the laser for me so I did and its still wont read discs. Anyone know what the potentiometer settings are suppose to be? I found this thread http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?26115-SEGA-Multi-Mega-laser-replacement and still no luck. at first the CD would spin then stop then spin and then stop but by adjusting the pots I got the CD to spin constantly and then I get no disc.

Anyone have any idea on what else I should do?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Before you ever adjust a pot you need to measure the resistance across both sides and write it down. If you've adjusted more than one pot you are probably screwed now. Best you can do is find original service manual and adjust using scope whilst monitoring relevant signals. Alternatively find another CDX that works and find out resistance values that are set, adjust yours to be the same and use trial and error to micro adjust each pot until it's working.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Hey all,
so my buddy recently handed me his broken CDX and said replace the laser for me so I did and its still wont read discs. Anyone know what the potentiometer settings are suppose to be? I found this thread http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?26115-SEGA-Multi-Mega-laser-replacement and still no luck. at first the CD would spin then stop then spin and then stop but by adjusting the pots I got the CD to spin constantly and then I get no disc.

Anyone have any idea on what else I should do?

Do you have the ability to test pots? It might also be the laser "trigger" and/or motor causing the issue. Can you test if the motors are working successfully?

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Before you ever adjust a pot you need to measure the resistance across both sides and write it down. If you've adjusted more than one pot you are probably screwed now. Best you can do is find original service manual and adjust using scope whilst monitoring relevant signals. Alternatively find another CDX that works and find out resistance values that are set, adjust yours to be the same and use trial and error to micro adjust each pot until it's working.
From what I saw before messing with it all the values were off compared to segasonicfans post of all working values. And the CD drive originally didn't spin up all the way until I set the values to the values in that post.

Do you have the ability to test pots? It might also be the laser "trigger" and/or motor causing the issue. Can you test if the motors are working successfully?
And sadly I do not have the tools to test the motors. I don't even know were to begin to find a replacement motor.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Also there is no luck finding a service manual for this thing :(. I guess I'll have to find a working one.