Sega handheld tech/sourcing questions

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Número Uno:
I have a Nomad that I recently recapped and replaced the LCD. It works great, but I'm having an issue with the A/C jack. When it's wiggled even slightly the damn thing powers off. Does anyone have a DigiKey part number for these? Or a source? I've never been good at identifying differences on power jacks and plugs.

I'm currently installing a GGTV board on a Game Gear that was free cause it was toast. I'm having a seriously hard time trying to solder to the via for HSYNC. I mean that thing is literally the tiniest hole EVER. I can a manage to maybe push a strand or two of copper through it but can't for the life of me solder this damn wire. If anyone has some pointers, that'd be sweet. Can post pics of you need em.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Regarding your first question, I can tell you that my Nomad has done that since I bought it from Toys R us. I even returned it for a different Nomad twice and the only thing that would work is to have the battery pack on the back AND have it plugged in to the AC or DC adapter. That way if the adapter cuts out the Nomad has the batteries as back up and stays on. I remember this being particularly annoying play Phantasy Star IV on road trips.

I'd be interested to know if you manage to get a more secure solution for the AC/DC plug. I don't think it was ever very good to begin with.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Sound like great projects. Rather braver than I would attempt.

On the subject of the soldering, is it possible to minutely enlarge the hole on the board?
Alternatively could you grind down the point on the iron to a finer needle?

Just a thought.

Last edited:

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Sound like great projects. Rather braver than I would attempt.

On the subject of the soldering, is it possible to minutely enlarge the hole on the board?
Alternatively could you grind down the point on the iron to a finer needle?

Just a thought.

I have a needle point tip for my iron but that doesn't even work. I ended up melting plastic into the via and can't seem to poke back through it. I have another game gear so I'm probably gonna scrap this board and start over. I ends up ripping a trace anyways.

I could solder the wire directly to the ASIC but I smoke and drink coffee so I honestly don't have steady enough hands to ensure there won't be a bridge. Those legs are pretty damn tiny.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Here's potato phone pics of how the nomad screen turned out in case you were curious. It's MUCH more awesome IRL.

image.jpg

image.jpg

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
For the Hsync my suggestion is slightly scrape the enamel coating off and do it. I was able to do if without a needle tip irony lol.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
For the Hsync my suggestion is slightly scrape the enamel coating off and do it. I was able to do if without a needle tip irony lol.

I had no idea there was a coating on it. I thought it was just a tiny copper via. It's going to be the first thing I attack on this other board.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Thanks man! Here's the ones I've been using:

www.ebay.com/itm/251584933137?nav=SEARCH

If you're looking for an upgrade, I'll put one in for you at cost + shipping. It's pretty easy and I enjoy modding. Really calms the Tourette's down.

HI MidnightMonkey,

That's a very kind offer and I'm extremely grateful, thank you.
I actually have a retrogen to play megadrive carts handheld, so I'm ok thanks.
My beloved Nomad doesn't get used, it just sits in the box looking pretty! lol

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
damn you and your box! haha!

no, it's ok. I have duplicates of most of my systems. One in box on the shelf and another hooked up to the boob tube for gettin it on!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, scrape away some coating like he said and also use 30 gauge wire, it's the thing small enough to use well. Frankly, I consider myself lucky that my GG worked after completing it, it was some of the trickiest soldering I've done.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Yeah, scrape away some coating like he said and also use 30 gauge wire, it's the thing small enough to use well. Frankly, I consider myself lucky that my GG worked after completing it, it was some of the trickiest soldering I've done.

Fucking A man, tell me about it. connecting the P0-4 wires to those tiny ass surface mount resistors is some difficult shit!

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
So. In case anyone wanted the information, I've done some magnifying glass tracing and think I've found a few suitable alternate locations to pull HSYNC. I'll post pictures after I've retraced my steps to verify and test it out.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Here's what I got from the rear of the main board

GG HSYNC Trace 1.jpg

And here's what I got from the front

GG HSYNC Trace 2.jpg

Hopefully this helps someone. I looked all over for pics like this but couldn't find them anywhere.

Edit: If you're doing the mod, make sure you use a heat gun or goo gone to get the film off the LCD pins/ leads after you cut the ribbon. They tear off quite easily.

Edit 2: Upon looking more closely, it seems that the HSYNC signal (for some fucking reason) runs through another set of vias and to a second pin to the LCD. Any idea why the OEM screen would need redundant HSYNC signals?

Attachments

• GG HSYNC Trace 2.jpg
    GG HSYNC Trace 2.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Good work, that may come in handy if I ever do it again.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
After some more poking around I saw that Pins 29 and 49 also Carry HSYNC. Why the fuck it's designed like this is beyond me.