Sengoku 3 MVS corrupt graphics

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
So I've got a copy of Sengoku 3. Looks completely legit/original with all mask roms.

No matter how I jiggle it, clean it, what mvs board i put it in, the graphics display corrupt. I checked all the solder joints and they seem fine.

Here's some screens:

test5.jpg

test4.jpg

test3.jpg

test2.jpg

test1.jpg

Any ideas? :confused:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Those double sided SNK boards are really tough, I wouldn't expect them to develop cracked joints on the DIP ROM chips.

The fix layer still works and sometimes recognizeable tiles are visible, so it's probably not a dead NEO-CMC. It looks like one or more C ROMs have died though.

Solid colored blocks in-game mean the Neo Geo isn't getting any graphic data, which for CHA-FIO games means either enable lines are down, one or more Mask ROMs have died or the NEO-CMC is dead. Would be best to go over the Mask ROMs with a logic probe and see if any lines are stuck low/high or aren't doing anything otherwise.

Last edited:

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Thanks for the in depth response.

Time to buy a probe. And maybe give it one more good cleaning.

The game looks physically OK. I should've tested it when I bought it and not a year later. :(

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Isn't Sengoku 3 one of the games that is known to have issues with certain versions of MVS hardware like the MV-1? Which motherboard are you using? Have you tried this cart on a different MVS?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
CMC addressing issue. Might just be a lifted leg, reflow the legs first. If it still exists then swap the chip out.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Definitely open up the cart, and look at EVERY single solder joint. I recommend a good magnifier if you have one. It also helps to own a nice spot light to see this stuff. When I do reflow's of boards, or chassis, I have a nice bright desk lamp I can adjust to a good angle to have a good viewing position. It is definitely unlikely that the boards traces are brittle. I just don't run into this problem typically, so if something is off, it could be that someone spilled something in there. Also, look for signs that someone washed these in a dish washer. I don't recommend people do this, as it leaves traces of residue around the solder joints. I bought a defective Metal Slug 3 that looked like it went through this treatment and got it working great after seeing that residue and removing it. Isopropyl is your friend.