Seriously: should I get a 60gb (PS3) NOW!??

kaos

I'm a stealthy Ghost-like pimp daddy bitch, yo!
I'm in such a dilemma
The sure thing, I HAVE to have a PS3 by the time MGS4 is out.
I know it's retarded, I know the PS3 has no other games worth playing, at least until the end of 2008, but I'm totally gay for MGS, plain and simple.

Also bc is kinda important to me. I have loads of PS2 games I haven't played yet and I'd really like to play MGS2 and 3 upscaled (They both have problems when running on a 80gb SKU)

Since I'm in Europe (and there's no fucking way I'll EVER get a PAL console in my life) I have 2 choices:
1) get a new one off ncsx or videogame+ and pay $150 for shipping (total cost $700+)
2) get a used one off ebay.uk: They pop up every now and then. Prices around 250ukp ($500)

Many say the 60gb sku will become teh rar3!1! when discontinued, this *probably* will mean ridiculously higher prices??

what do you guys think?

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Get it you'll regret it. I picked one up a month ago, and I am glad I did. Before Metal Gear, pick up PES 2008 on the 26th. PES should keep you happy for a while. Unless you don't like soccer (futbol) games.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
zapatistab said:
Get it you'll regret it. I picked one up a month ago, and I am glad I did. Before Metal Gear, pick up PES 2008 on the 26th. PES should keep you happy for a while. Unless you don't like soccer (futbol) games.
:lolz: :lolz:
sorry, that was just a great tpo

kaos

heh, yeah thanks, I totally forgot about PES 2008
of course I like football;)

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Get the 60 gig, alot of people are dumping theirs for around $400 so maybe you should get a used one just to make sure you get the best BC model possible.

I only have 2 games for PS3 (one download, one disc game), but play mostly PS2 (and Super Stardust HD).

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
I have a question, do the current Japanese sku's still have the e.e. chip in them or are they emulating ps2 games like the u.s. and pal systems?

SSS

neo retired
i'd say go for it. I just picked one up myself. to give you some perspective on availability, my best buy had maybe 5 60s on the floor and 20+ of the 80 gigs. joe average consumer isn't aware of sony's moves to cheapen production costs, so demand for the 60 isn't really there but nothings to say that won't change when the supply finally dries up. my estimate is by thanksgiving.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Snair said:
I have a question, do the current Japanese sku's still have the e.e. chip in them or are they emulating ps2 games like the u.s. and pal systems?
I think that both the Jap and NA 60gb have both the EE and GS hardware. The Euro 60gb and the NA 80gb have just the GS hardware, and the Jap and NA 40gb have nothing.

Not sure tho.

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
grab the 60 while you can....I have like 25 games for it, and just about every download or demo on it, still have half the drive pretty much left to go..... plus since the download manager keeps a list of your older downloads...you don't need to keep them on your drive anyhow

fuck relying on download updates to emulate PS2 games, that hasn't worked great for the 360, so I would assume the same would be true for Sony

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
Also, remember that the hard drive is replaceable, so you can pick up a 100 gigger or something on sale. I think it uses laptop SATA drives.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Don't do it.
Remember the PS1, PS2, and PSP? None of them had any games worth playing until 2 years in.

PS3 will be the same.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
I have to go with the majority and say get the 60gb version or at worst, the 20gb version (like mentioned earlier, you can upgrade the HD later on)

The only difference between those two models are the lack of memory card inputs and WIFI on the 20gb. If those two options are neglegible to you, then either one would be a perfect choice.

The thing is, sooner o later, the 60gb version will disappear since it costs Sony more money to include the EE chip than to have a larger HD. To me, backwards compatibility on the current gen hardware is much more important to me than the previous gen.

PS2 games are infinitely more playable than PS1 games were back in 2000 since the difference between the hardware is much less prominent this time around than last time.

Even the worst PS2 game looked infinitely better than te best PS1 game. It was extremely obvious the jump in hardware. The Dreamcast alone made that point. This time around isn't the case as so many PS2 (and XBOX or Gamecube for that matter) still look exceptionally beautiful even when compared to the current gen offerings.

You know that BC is important to you and you know the 60gb version will no longer become available sooner rather than later.

The question is, if you know you can snag one at any time, will it become any cheaper between now and the release of MGS4?

If you can buy one now without it affecting your personal financial situation, maybe it's best to be safe than sorry.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
GregN. said:
Don't do it.
Remember the PS1, PS2, and PSP? None of them had any games worth playing until 2 years in.

PS3 will be the same.
Wipeout was worth playing. So was TimeSplitters. So is Resistance. (I agree on the PSP, tho.)

BIG

sony fanboy
Definitely, unless BC isn't that big of an issue to ya.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
SpamYouToDeath said:
I think that both the Jap and NA 60gb have both the EE and GS hardware. The Euro 60gb and the NA 80gb have just the GS hardware, and the Jap and NA 40gb have nothing.

Not sure tho.

Neither of the Japanese versions (20GB and 60GB) have changed since launch. Both have full hardware backwards compatibility.

In November we get the 40GB version which is where the changes happen.

If you are thinking about a JPN 20GB model, then bear in mind that the price drops on the 17th of October.

Personally I use the backwards compatibility on my 60GB JPN unit a fair bit. The upscanning to 480p is really nice, and you find nearly all load times are reduced quite a bit, which makes a big difference for most titles.

kaos

thanks a lot guys for your bits

yep, I'm definitely interested in the upscanning ability, for both DVDs and PS2 games

Argentina has a point, about waiting for the prices to go down, but the thing is everywhere I see, people are talking about how the SkUs with the EE chip in are going to become very sought after when discontinued

there are couple of auctions going on, one end in few hours.

Last edited:

hanafuda

kaos said:
thanks a lot guys for your bits

yep, I'm definitely interested in the upscanning ability, for both DVDs and PS2 games

Argentina has a point, about waiting for the prices going down, but the thing is everywhere I see, people are talking about how the SkUs with the EE chip in are going to become very sought after when discontinued

there are couple of auctions going on, one end in few hours.

I got my first 1080p compatible TV yesterday and gave the DVD 1080p upscanning a try and it is very good.

One other thing I forgot to mention that someone else raised is that someone I know has a JPN 20GB model and switched the HDD out with a 160GB drive. Apparently the hardware changeover is a piece of cake. You just need to have something to backup your data onto first unless you don't mind losing everything.

kaos

haha, thanks man, well I know I'll never gonna need that much space

I have a Panasonic commercial plasma (according to many it gives the best possible picture) which it doesn't accept 1080p over HDMI, but it does over component

I've heard many stating PS and PS2 games look much better upscaled over component than HDMI and that for PS3 games the difference isn't really noticeable.
BluRay movies on the other hand, look better over HDMI

I'd like some feedback about how MGS/2/3 look uscaled;)

hanafuda

kaos said:
haha, thanks man, well I know I'll never gonna need that much space

I have a Panasonic commercial plasma (according to many it gives the best possible picture) which it doesn't accept 1080p over HDMI, but it does over component

I've heard many stating PS and PS2 games look much better upscaled over component than HDMI and that for PS3 games the difference isn't really noticeable.
BluRay movies on the other hand, look better over HDMI

I'd like some feedback about how MGS/2/3 look uscaled;)

was playing mgs2 this morning!

looks great over hdmi IMO.

dvd upscaling possible over compooent?

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
was playing mgs2 this morning!

looks great over hdmi IMO.

dvd upscaling possible over compooent?

It is. But, if you recall the very big 1.8 firmware update, DVDR/RW's will not upconvert over component...only HDMI. Just keep that in mind.

Jon

kaos

well, guess what? I just got myself a US 60gb PS3

Been quite lucky at finding it on ebay uk. Wasn't cheap (about $520 including shipping) but it's barely used. Also, even if I found one on ebay US for $400, shipping costs would have beeen around $150, so....

As I expected PS2 games look WAY better over component than HDMI
and as expected there's really no comparison between plasmas and LCDs. Plasmas are just superior in every possible aspect.
Last time I saw a PS3 in action was at my friend's house (LCD+HDMI at 1080p) and PQ was dreadful

To be honest I'm not so sure about DVD upscaling over component. Can't see much of a difference between 1080i and 1080p (both look very nice). I thought if I set to 1080p the screen went blank but it didn't

I'll fuck around for a while, there's TONS of options

one thing that pisses me off is that the controller often switch off (battery is ok) and I have to re-sync it every time. Especially when playing PS2 games
is that normal??

hanafuda

kaos said:
one thing that pisses me off is that the controller often switch off (battery is ok) and I have to re-sync it every time. Especially when playing PS2 games
is that normal??

No.

You may be getting interference from something else though. Mobile phones, microwave ovens etc.

Try using the pad wired over USB. If you no longer have the issue it is almost certainly down to interference.

kaos

ah ok, makes sense
There are about 5 remotes on the table, 2 wiimotes and the wii sensor bar on top of the TV, dont have a microwave and mobile is generally off

I'll try with the pad wired