SFV or SFIV--which to play?

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
So says the guy who's username is HDRchampion.

No doubt, HDR is my game! If the community was active like USF2 i would rather play HDR but as for now, USF2 got me playing again. Lots of good competition!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
No doubt, HDR is my game! If the community was active like USF2 i would rather play HDR but as for now, USF2 got me playing again. Lots of good competition!

I was just messing around with you. It looks like a good game. Haven't played it yet since I don't have a switch but seen a few reviews.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster

I hate to say but I'm kinda agreeing with 100proof probably because I don't understand the reasoning. Does ST on fightcade feel that bad, or do you refuse to play fighters on PC, or are you similar to me and the netcode on fightcade is only tolerable at best? If that's the case then how's the netcode on the switch? I heard rumors it was bad.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I hate to say but I'm kinda agreeing with 100proof probably because I don't understand the reasoning. Does ST on fightcade feel that bad, or do you refuse to play fighters on PC, or are you similar to me and the netcode on fightcade is only tolerable at best? If that's the case then how's the netcode on the switch? I heard rumors it was bad.

I was never a fan of ST, i was more of a Hyper Fighting guy. With the HDR release they did so many right to fix the balance issue that every character can win a tournament. As for Ultra the balance kind of went back to the ST route due to the fireball damage issue. Still they did remove broken stuff like Chun/Honda store super & a much deserve shit on Vega, he's still strong but not as broken like in ST. Also no O.Sagat bullshit you have to contend. Top it off with the two new characters & tech throws keeps the game fresh.

As for the online issue, GGPO & Fightcade seems off for some reason to me. Ultra SF2 isn't that great either. My best online fighting experience is still HDR in XBL. Also i really cant recommend people going to Fightcade or GGPO without a thick skin. Sending in a casual is like sending some shelter child into a prison. All these thirsty low lifes waiting for the fresh meat to arrive.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Ahh makes sense, and yeah if it wasn't for the trolling fightcade would be a lot more fun. I really enjoy learning from people way better then me but for fucks sake why does it seem that anybody who knows their way around a game has to be an asshole.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Despite its lack of single-player content, I actually prefer V. I never got the hang of the focus attacks in IV. I never used them, it would always backfire on me, tho I'm sure I wasn't using it properly. I prefer the V-trigger/skill system in V better. The season 2 characters are absolutely lame outside of Akuma, and playing against the A.I. is a pain in the ass since it doesn't have a proper arcade mode.

On a side note, Tekken 7 is great. Besides the solid game play, it has awesome single-player content with the treasure battle mode they brought back from previous games. Virtua Fighter 4 & 5 had similar modes. I wish SFV did something similar. If they did, I'd be playing that a whole lot more than Tekken 7.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ Yeah and Abagail (Final Fight), Rose's apprentence and Guy's master aren't making me very excited either.

If the rumors are correct SFV cast and updates for season 3 should be pretty amazing. However it's only a rumor arcade mode is coming along with Sagat, Sakura, Necro, Oro, and 2 others I can't remember. Though truth be told I'm kinda expecting another season of 1 good 5 duds.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
So with both games are on sale right now on Steam. I can't decide if I want to spend $15 on the Ultra upgrade for SFIV, or spend $20 to get SFV. It would be easier to decide if I had any experience playing SFV, but I haven't.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Is there an 'Ultra' version of everything available for SFV so far yet? They lost me with this release, but I'd pick it up as a complete package for a nominal price.

Are Dudley and Cody in the game? I know Alex is, but the trifecta are my boys.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Is there an 'Ultra' version of everything available for SFV so far yet? They lost me with this release, but I'd pick it up as a complete package for a nominal price.

There are rumors that have been floating around for months that Capcom will announce a "Super" version at the same time they announce DLC Season 3 (in December) that will contain everything released up to that point.

Nope.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
There are rumors that have been floating around for months that Capcom will announce a "Super" version at the same time they announce DLC Season 3 (in December) that will contain everything released up to that point.

Nope.

Ugh. No thanks then. They'd have to come out with an Ultra version w/everything for me to get on board at this point, and it would have to be no more than $40.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

No and no. Cody is my main and i want him back in here real bad. Also i'd love for Dudley to come back but at this point it seems sort of unlikely. Balrog has some traces of Dudley in him now and the new character Ed is also a boxer. Not sure Capcom is going to add a third boxer unfortunately.

There is a rumor of a Super SFV but at this point you're bettor off just jumping in. There in no telling if there will ever be a Super or Ultra SFV and if there is one, how many years it'll take till it comes out. Plus you arent really going to get a special value out of a SSFV or USFV unless you're just hoping to get a disc with all the content on it.

SFV base game with both season passes bundle (12 characters and their costumes) has been on sale for around 40 bucks more then once.

Edit: if you just want "everything" be prepared to wait the duration of the generation. So PS5?

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Super SFV is rumored to be a free update that would include new supers and gameplay tweaks, which will also include arcade mode.

As far as characters are concerned, the initial plan will still continue with 6 characters per year / season obtainable via the same current methods (in-game credits or real money). So as Wachenroder said, you would basically be waiting for sales and price drops.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Q isn't in either one of them, so I vote 3rd strike.

seriously though, I'm convinced just about any other fighting game out is way better than SFV.
Guilty Gear, Dead or Alive, Ultimate Marvel 3, Tekken 7, and KOF XIV are all pretty enjoyable even if you're just walking into them.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Rumored Season 3 cast include Q, Oro, Necro, Sagat, Sakura and C. Viper.

Slugger

Marked Wolf
I kinda lost interest in the series after 3rd Strike. That game is just pure gold and I still play it weekly.