Shadow Dancer's the best Genesis Shinobi

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Damn I just got done playing SD after all this talk about it. Got to Union Lizard himself but didn't beat it. Didn't feel like continuing either. I'm more miffed that I can't score a perfect during the Bonus Stage. I always kill 48 and get a 1UP, but miss 3 others. :mad:

I used to OWN that part.

GK

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Thanks for those screens, GK. Hey, have you noticed that the Insector-X screen looks like it was taken out of the arcade as well? I never remember I-X looking that good. Maybe it's just the bad quality of the screenshot in the ad itself fooling me.

Anyways, after making this thread last night, I went and played SD again...f'n-A, how could I have forgotten to mention the bonus levels? "*human beat box sounds* GO!" hot dog I love that music. As for the guy who's having trouble getting all the ninjas, I always go all the way to the left side of the screen and just hammer down on the button while making sure it synchronizes with the enemy ninja the second they touch the wall. Works like a charm.

The last boss in this game is such a cocksuck though, he's the only thing keeping me from 1-lifeing the game.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Grizzly King said:
now I guess we just have to wait until 2019: After The Fall of New York

GK

Not true, because General Morden will rise to power then and only the likes of Marco and Tarma (born this year, by the way) will be able to stop him. Bring on the Peregrin Falcons and the Sparrows. :) :) :)

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
Thanks for those screens, GK. Hey, have you noticed that the Insector-X screen looks like it was taken out of the arcade as well? I never remember I-X looking that good. Maybe it's just the bad quality of the screenshot in the ad itself fooling me.

Anyways, after making this thread last night, I went and played SD again...f'n-A, how could I have forgotten to mention the bonus levels? "*human beat box sounds* GO!" hot dog I love that music. As for the guy who's having trouble getting all the ninjas, I always go all the way to the left side of the screen and just hammer down on the button while making sure it synchronizes with the enemy ninja the second they touch the wall. Works like a charm.

The last boss in this game is such a cocksuck though, he's the only thing keeping me from 1-lifeing the game.

#1> No problem man. Glad I could contribute something to this thread with those old scans. I remember when I first read that issue and got so pumped up about the game (even though I already owned it by then) even more.

#2> Yeah it looks like that long defunct company SCI IMPORTS did use the Arcade screens for both Insector X and Shadow Dancer. That's not a bad shot, that's the arcade screens.

#3> Bonus Stage song, if only I could make that my ring tone for my cellphone.

#4> Yeah, Union Lizard that throne chair sitting bastard is a cheese dick alright. Though once the pattern is had it's easy. I have more problems with the Black Ninja room (I believe ROOM 5 or 6) before getting to him than anywhere else in the game. While I do rate Shadow Dancer a bit higher than Super Shinobi these days, I will say it's way shorter; though it retains a play control that's closer to the original Arcade version than Super Shinobi did.

Kirk Foiden said:
Not true, because General Morden will rise to power then and only the likes of Marco and Tarma (born this year, by the way) will be able to stop him. Bring on the Peregrin Falcons and the Sparrows. :) :) :)

:buttrock:

...although I didn't realize the "Metal Slug" games were that far into the future? From the looks of them I always assumed it was set in some sort of alternate WWII or alternate post WWII setting. Though with the Ikari Warriors joining the bunch now in MS6, I wonder WTF? Ralf & Clark got their name from the jungle region of IKARI (says the old back story) which always stumped me because it was clearly Vietnam inspired, yet they originally crash landed in a 2-seater F4U Corsair and lug around Sterling L2A3 SMGs (with the side mounted magazines) which both were from the WWII era.

Where did you get the info on Marco & Tarma being born in 2005 anyhow? I'd like to read up on that.

GK

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Grizzly King said:
Where did you get the info on Marco & Tarma being born in 2005 anyhow? I'd like to read up on that.

GK

I wonder if Kirk got that from my old sig I just changed last night ;)

Anyways, if you've played Saturn or NCD Slug (I'm guessing NCD Slug has it), the Art gallery has a shit-ton of drawings and conceptual art; Marco and Tarma have their own information drawing, and along some other trivial stuff, it says they were both born in April of 2005 (I think Marco on the first and Tarma on the eighth, not too sure since it's been awhile). I've always thought that was interesting, and since I think (again, haven't played it in months) it also says they're both 24 or something, you know that the first Slug takes place in 2029.

I love random bits of information like that.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:

Anyways, if you've played Saturn or NCD Slug (I'm guessing NCD Slug has it), the Art gallery has a shit-ton of drawings and conceptual art; Marco and Tarma have their own information drawing, and along some other trivial stuff, it says they were both born in April of 2005 (I think Marco on the first and Tarma on the eighth, not too sure since it's been awhile). I've always thought that was interesting, and since I think (again, haven't played it in months) it also says they're both 24 or something, you know that the first Slug takes place in 2029.

Well it's good to know that the Mauser K98 bolt action rifle will still be in wide military circulation/active service in 2036 or 2045 or whenever Metal Slug 6 is taking place (if the first was indeed 2029) because the advert for MS6 that SNKP has up for it clearly has a WWII era K98 Mauser next to some ammunition crates in the packaging. If only right now were as cool as the "Metal Slug" universe, cause I've always dug the idea of what the world might have been like had Jet Powered Aircraft only been in small doses here or there and things had stayed piston powered. But then again the best coverage of anything like that would be found in the final three books (#14-#16) of Mack Maloney's aerial men's adventure series of WINGMAN

GK

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yeah, as weird and negligent on my behalf (considering armed forces casualties would be higher, for sure) of thinking this, I'd have to say it kinda saddens me we'll never see another "Rough Riders" crew, storming the beach Omaha-style or horse cavalry anymore. It just sounds so badass and amazing; if it weren't for a large number of civilians in the area, we'd just be pushing a lot more 'buttons' for the war in Iraq, if you know what I mean.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
have no idea about the other megadrive episodes,but

shadow dancer on the mega ( just like the arcade original and shinobi )

well,
they aren't difficult AT ALL if you keep pressing the shurikens button and if you use the magic

the true challenge is to get the secret 20000 pts bonus in all the stages + the 5000 one for the magic

and that's the only way to get a decent score

if you play those games without trying to get that bonus,
what's the point

Grizzly King said:
Damn I just got done playing SD after all this talk about it. Got to Union Lizard himself but didn't beat it. Didn't feel like continuing either. I'm more miffed that I can't score a perfect during the Bonus Stage. I always kill 48 and get a 1UP, but miss 3 others. :mad:

I used to OWN that part.

GK

If you feel like it, let all the ninjas pass you and you get a guaranteed 1UP.

Back on topic:
Another good thing about SD... playing without Shruykens (sp) makes for a totally different game; I think more so than with RoS or Shinobi III.

I also feel that SD, still my least fav of the series has the best ending. I always liked Sega's mega-parallax ending effects, found in that, MERCS, Rambo 3, etc.

Last edited:

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
LoneSage said:

Actually, I got that information from the users manuals. It's all written up in the various Metal Slug Users manuals under the section that describes the Character Bios. Even the Xbox Metal Slug 3, and the Metal Slug 4/5 packs mention it.

aria

Former Moderator
I remember getting that game for a bargain not too long after its release from KayBee Toys (it was like $24 or something). I was very happy with it, more arcade-like than Revenge of Shinobi. Still, I like both a lot for their differences.