Shmup Special for Podcast 198x next week; what shmups would want to hear about?

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Title says it all. Me and Ray are going to do some actual goddamned legwork and produce a unique episode. What shmup titles should we cover? There is no real game plan in terms what we're going to cover (i.e. not a chronological history) but mostly just give these games the special attention they deserve.

Bear in mind we are not idiots and will definitely cover at least one entry in the following series:

-Donpachi
-Raiden
-Gradius
-At least one Neo shmup (most likely Last Resort)
-At least one Treasure shmup
-Post Donpachi Cave loli shmups (most likely Mushi as neither of us have access to Deathsmiles)

Any specific titles you shmup fans out there would like for us to shine a little light on?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Talk about Taito's shmups and how depressing they are. The endings to Metal Black and Rayforce are so fucked up.

also talk about how overrated radiant silvergun is

I was going to make a thread about that, but you guys can have it. I'll still make the thread. some day

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Last Resort is truly awesome...but no Viewpoint? It seems like such a natural for your show and vibe with its chunky early 90s technofunk. :)

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Last Resort is truly awesome...but no Viewpoint? It seems like such a natural for your show and vibe with its chunky early 90s technofunk. :)

last resort and nam1975 are the last two aes carts i own...

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
Title says it all. Me and Ray are going to do some actual goddamned legwork and produce a unique episode. What shmup titles should we cover? There is no real game plan in terms what we're going to cover (i.e. not a chronological history) but mostly just give these games the special attention they deserve.

Bear in mind we are not idiots and will definitely cover at least one entry in the following series:

-Donpachi
-Raiden
-Gradius
-At least one Neo shmup (most likely Last Resort)
-At least one Treasure shmup
-Post Donpachi Cave loli shmups (most likely Mushi as neither of us have access to Deathsmiles)

Any specific titles you shmup fans out there would like for us to shine a little light on?

Dodonpachi
Raiden DX

Neo shmups aren't that good, except Strikers Plus

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Jedah and I did a podcast all about Cave SHMUPS a couple of months back and there's always tons of stuff to talk about when you broaden the topic. How about your earliest SHMUP memory? I'll always go back to River Raid and Yar's Revenge on the 2600. I also love me some Twinkle Star Sprites. Even though it's not a real shump so to say, it's so much fun playing it with other people. You can introduce somebody new to the game and they can pick it up real quick and have fun with it.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Not bad a idea. Tiger Heli on the NES for me.

Oh god. I'm doing Arcade Home Port Reviews for my site and that was one of the first games I put into my NES and holy shit. That game did not stand the test of time. It's so damn slow and boring now. I guess it's because I'm playing too many Cave shooters now since Mushi but just seeing two or three enemies on the screen makes me laugh at how certain stages would slaughter me as a kid. Now I look back at the replays in Mushi wondering to myself, how the hell did I dodge that!?

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
What no PCE love?

How about something like

Soldier Blade
Lords of Thunder
Gate of Thunder
SPRIGGAN

? ? ?

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
U.N. Squadron for the SNES

Quite hard, but loads of fun

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Get into the Irem stuff that isn't R-Type.
Like Armed Police Unit Gallop
Image Fight (goddammit, if only I didn't include Section Z)
X-Multiply
etc.

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
-Axelay
-Project X (Amgia)
-Hybris/Battle Squadron (Amiga)
-Aldynes (SuperGrafx)

and last but not least
-Trevor McFur in Crescent Galaxy! (*shudder*)

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Batrider

love/hate of ikaruga

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
May I suggest: The gayification of the shmup genre.

It would discuss the transition from space/war traditional late 80s-late 90s manly man shooting in outter space and alien environments or over war zones to loli/queer boys fluttering about on top of pastel BGs covered in even more pastel bullets.