Shockbox Insert Choices

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I'm finally getting around to having inserts printed up for my Shockboxes (only 4 years late). There are lots of insert styles to choose from, but they seem to mainly come in two styles. The first one is those of the US original home games. Basically someone scanned (or recreated) the actual AES box insert and sized it for the Shockbox. These inserts have artwork that is cropped to fit only the front of the box and have a gray boarder and spine. The name of the game is also printed on the front of the box in addition to the spine. These boxes all look very uniform and similar when viewed from the side. Big Bear did most of these, or so it would appear.

The second style is similar to the the first except the artwork has been blown up to fill the entire front of the box, and the colors (and ocassionaly the artwork itself) extends to the spine. Therefore everything doesn't look uniform (lots of different colors) and the name of the game only appears on the spine. This style looks very similar to the Japanese home releases, except the name has been taken off the front (why?). It looks like NeoCverA and Xian Xi did the bulk of these.

Here are examples of the two styles (click on each one to see a bigger picture):

Andro Dunos Original: http://southtown-homebrew.com/product_info...;products_id=39
Andro Dunos New Style: http://southtown-homebrew.com/product_info...products_id=647

3 Count Bout Original: http://southtown-homebrew.com/product_info...;products_id=28
3 Count Bout New Style: http://southtown-homebrew.com/product_info...products_id=752

Baseball Stars 2 Original: http://southtown-homebrew.com/product_info...;products_id=49
Baseball Stars 2 New Style: http://southtown-homebrew.com/product_info...;products_id=51

Cyber Lip Original: http://southtown-homebrew.com/product_info...;products_id=83
Cyber Lip New Style: http://southtown-homebrew.com/product_info...products_id=724

You get the picture. I'm actually kind of torn here. Originally I wanted my boxes to look exactly like the originals in every way, but once I saw a row of them on a shelf, I realized how boring the all look. Everything is that same dull uniform barf gray (or occasionally some other color). You can see what I mean in this picture: http://www.neo-geo.com/gallery/collections/HarryHazard/1.jpg

I'm actually starting to like the look of the "new style" since it breaks up the monotany a bit and looks much more colorful. I'm not 100% sold on it yet though. One thing I wish is that the name of the game was put back on the front, because it looks really odd without it.

What is everyone elses opinions on this? Should I stay with the traditional look or go with the "new style"?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Mine are all mixed up...some full frontals [which I prefer now] and some classic...some grey, some black...I don't mind the mix. I would imagine real retail packaging possibly varying over years...doesn't bug me. I take it on a case-by-case basis.

Just get the ones you like to look at best....that is the reason for them.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
I take it on a case-by-case basis.

I sort of have to anyway since not all games come in both styles. At the moment I'm mostly opting for the "new style" except in a few cases where I don't care for the picture being blown up (sometimes it just doesn't look good).

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Full Frontals only for me, I also was torn between this I first thought of getting both sets done then I knew it would be worthless to have two different shock boxes for the same game so I picked full frontals and for the other choice its complete kits.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Before I started buying them, I thought I wanted everything uniform. Once I started looking at the options, though, I realized that there was no need to restrict myself like that. MVS carts aren't uniform and these cases aren't OEM, and these aren't going to be collector's items. There's no need to pretend otherwise. I decided to just buy whatever the most attractive, colorful insert available for the cart in question. I mean, really, if the Neo Geo is about Bigger, Badder, and Better, why shrink the artwork down to only cover ~75% of the box?

I generally buy NeoCover's (JUST KIDDING ABOUT THE NAME, PLEASE DON'T KILL ME) or Xian Xi's, with some Le Geek every now and then. Like I said, the bigger and more colorful, the better. When I pull the box off the shelf, I really want it to be obvious that what's in that box is special.

Of course, if it's a complete kit with the original box, I keep that. No sense replacing the original stuff with aftermarket.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Why would you need the name of the game on the front? Only if you display the game with the front facing you that would make sense. 100% of the time you are staring at the spine.

All my inserts in my collection are Full Frontals, I hate the gray. Just remember only you can decide your preference.

Here's an old pic of my games:
468060519_9d888ab095_o.jpg

Last edited:

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Murray said:
I decided to just buy whatever the most attractive, colorful insert available for the cart in question.

I generally buy NeoCover's or Xian Xi's, with some Le Geek every now and then.
That's what I did too- whatever looks good in your eyes. I also chose many inserts from NC, then BB and XX.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
Why would you need the name of the game on the front? Only if you display the game with the front facing you that would make sense. 100% of the time you are staring at the spine.

Well you don't need it for identifying the game or anything, it's just that it looks sort of odd without it. It's sort of a standard thing, how many game boxes do you see without the title on the front? I guess I'm just used to seeing it there.

Nice collection BTW, now I can get a good idea of how mine will look if I go full frontal (lord, does that sound bad...)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Tempest said:
Well you don't need it for identifying the game or anything, it's just that it looks sort of odd without it. It's sort of a standard thing, how many game boxes do you see without the title on the front? I guess I'm just used to seeing it there.

Nice collection BTW, now I can get a good idea of how mine will look if I go full frontal (lord, does that sound bad...)

I personally dont put the title on a full frontal as I like it only to have the NeoGeo and stripes only. I know NeoCverA likes to put the company logo on the front also and I think LeGeek does as well.

Thats just the way the full frontals were designed. But remember you can always download the files and simply add the title yourself and place it where you want it.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I haven't been following these but that pic of yours Xian Xi, that Slug box set looks fantastic.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
But remember you can always download the files and simply add the title yourself and place it where you want it.

I thought about that, but I couldn't find just the game logo. I have a little talent with Photoshop, but not enough to grab it off another box without getting the background with it (unless the magic wand tool is able to grab it all in one shot).

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The third wave of creations by myself will come, you can bank on it....
BB

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
The third wave of creations by myself will come, you can bank on it....
BB

Any hints? More games in the original style? New game wtih a merging of the two styles? Something completely new?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
EDIT UI will Probably just order a cheapo PC for now and get a MAC later Don't want to be bothered with the starting over thing yet...

A little bit of everything. Going to probably redo some greys(original style) and cerate more,use new illustrations for others,do the Full frontal thingwith titles on front,etc.
I've been terribly busy for a good while and need to get a new PC but I am having a hard time deciding on a MAC or a PC. I know a MAC is better for this type of work but I will have to start anew with software,etc. as I currently use PC.
EDIT Anybody know where I can get a GOOD cheapo full setup with a CRT Monitor?
BB
Tempest said:
Any hints? More games in the original style? New game wtih a merging of the two styles? Something completely new?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Tempest said:
I thought about that, but I couldn't find just the game logo. I have a little talent with Photoshop, but not enough to grab it off another box without getting the background with it (unless the magic wand tool is able to grab it all in one shot).

Easiest way to do that would be to get the logo from an insert with a grey background as it is one consistent color and the wand will easily grab it.

lithy said:
I haven't been following these but that pic of yours Xian Xi, that Slug box set looks fantastic.

Thanks lithy, its only good up close as I used small characters. I think if I used larger characters it would be more visible beyond a 5 foot distance.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
A little bit of everything. Going to probably redo some greys(original style) and cerate more,use new illustrations for others,do the Full frontal thingwith titles on front,etc.
I've been terribly busy for a good while and need to get a new PC but I am having a hard time deciding on a MAC or a PC. I know a MAC is better for this type of work but I will have to start anew with software,etc. as I currently use PC.

BB

Oh so this isn't coming any time soon. Well I suppose I can reprint as you create them in the new style (full frontal with title).

I use both a Mac and PC. My desktop is a PC, but my laptop is a Mac. I know they have some very powerful art tools for the Mac, but if the PC has everything you already need and are familiar with, I'd just stick with that. I don't think creating shockbox inserts requires the latest cutting edge graphics programs anyway. Now if you were doing 3D modeling or animation, then I'd definitely
go Mac.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The beginning of next month is when I will be starting, I will be ordering a PC next week.
BB

Tempest said:
Oh so this isn't coming any time soon. Well I suppose I can reprint as you create them in the new style (full frontal with title).

I use both a Mac and PC. My desktop is a PC, but my laptop is a Mac. I know they have some very powerful art tools for the Mac, but if the PC has everything you already need and are familiar with, I'd just stick with that. I don't think creating shockbox inserts requires the latest cutting edge graphics programs anyway. Now if you were doing 3D modeling or animation, then I'd definitely
go Mac.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
The beginning of next month is when I will be starting, I will be ordering a PC next week.
BB

I'm curious now. How long does it normally take for you to make an insert? I suppose the "updates" to the existing games will go quicker than the creation new ones.

Kickin' Wing

Armored Scrum Object
I like the grey border inserts on mine, looks nice & uniform:

ShocksRCool.jpg

Also if anyone's taking requests, these changes need to be done for so there's a full, proper set:

Aero Fighters 3 - Should be called "Aero Fighters 3" --or-- Gray Spine
Alpha Mission II - Blue Stripe & Numbers
Crossed Swords - Blue Stripe & Numbers
Galaxy Fight - Gray
Jockey Grand Prix - Green Stripe & Numbers**
Last Blade - Proper Size
Last Resort - Gray
Metal Slug 2 - Blue Numbers
Metal Slug X - Blue Stripe & Numbers
Mutation Nation - Gray; Blue Stripes & Numbers
Neo Bomberman - Yellow Stripe & Numbers**
Overtop - Gray
Prehistoric Isle 2 - Blue Numbers**
Puzzle de Pon - Yellow Numbers
Puzzle de Pon R - Yellow Numbers**
Real Bout Fatal Fury - Erase the Red Lines running down Spine
Robo Army - Gray; Blue Stripes & Numbers
Street Hoop - Gray
Super Dodge Ball - Gray; Green Lines & Numbers --or-- Proper Size; Green Numbers
Top Hunter - Proper Size; Blue Lines & Numbers
Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer - Gray
Zed Blade - Blue Numbers

**Proper Version on SouthtTown-Homebrew, but doesn't DL or DL's the wrong file.

-Kickin' Wing

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Tempest said:
I'm curious now. How long does it normally take for you to make an insert?
About 2-3 days for greys, a little longer for original creations.
Tempest said:
I suppose the "updates" to the existing games will go quicker than the creation new ones.
That would be correct.
BB

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Originally Posted by lithy

I was about to say the same exact thing, great job Xian Xi I don't think I ever told you that.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
It all comes down to personal preference. I really liked the look of the US AES inserts so I went with that theme when I designed all of my inserts.