should I even bother with eBay for Neo-Geo Carts?

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
So I had a thought of taking Neo collecting more seriously. Previously, I was satisfied with just ports and emulations (as I said in some other topic, my goal is to get the PS2 compilations--all the Japanese ones AND their english equivalents), but the more I BURN KNUCKLE BURN KNUCKLE BURN KNUCKLE, I can't help but wonder how much better it would feel to BURN KNUCKLE on the real hardware.

I've read though that a lot of eBay sellers sell bootlegs that won't even run on a legitimate AES or MVS setup. It makes me wary every time I see what looks like a good deal on a Neo cart on eBay. Makes me think they're all bootlegs.

So should I bother, or should I do all my Neo buying and selling via this forum?

b-blanco

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
As far as AES games go on ebay more common games you should be fine I have bought quite a few AES games on ebay and none of them were bootlegs; however rare games such as Metal Slug, Ninja Master, etc I would stay away from on ebay because there is a good chance they could be bootleg. MVS games you should be fine to I recommend you email the seller of the cart you want and ask to see pics of the inside of the cart and compare them to picture in the Neo wiki. One thing about ebay though is that sellers often jack up the prices of more common games and a lot of the sellers are in japan so the shipping rates can get kind of crazy.

Bonga7

Zero's Secretary
As far as AES games go on ebay more common games you should be fine I have bought quite a few AES games on ebay and none of them were bootlegs; however rare games such as Metal Slug, Ninja Master, etc I would stay away from on ebay because there is a good chance they could be bootleg. MVS games you should be fine to I recommend you email the seller of the cart you want and ask to see pics of the inside of the cart and compare them to picture in the Neo wiki. One thing about ebay though is that sellers often jack up the prices of more common games and a lot of the sellers are in japan so the shipping rates can get kind of crazy.

Very good advice. I would also add to do your homework. The price guide is a good start albeit a bit dated on some prices; So research the selling price of items either here or at ebay (using previously sold history). Some say games bought on ebay are a tad bit overpriced, but if you bid smartly, you will get good deals. so do you homework be patient and only collect games you will play. At least thats what I do.

bradtemple87

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I just scores a complete strikers kit minus the box for $57!

Deals can definitely be found

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
I've read though that a lot of eBay sellers sell bootlegs that won't even run on a legitimate AES or MVS setup. It makes me wary every time I see what looks like a good deal on a Neo cart on eBay. Makes me think they're all bootlegs.

All the bootlegs ive seen run fine on genuine hardware. Its not really a drama, if you ask here, you will usually get some reasonable advice :)

owen

n00b
buy mvs or aes and dont use rca, you will see the difference! it is better on arcade hardware , i think something is lost in the overall translation of ports.

NEO-GEO man

buy mvs or aes and dont use rca, you will see the difference! it is better on arcade hardware , i think something is lost in the overall translation of ports.
AES is NOT a port of the MVS, it is identical hardware. The only thing missing is the backup memory that saves high scores. And you can only save the last 8 anyway, so its near useless. It is exactly the same on both, and depending on the display device you use, the AES is capable of exactly the same video output as the MVS.

It is a gamble but it looks on the safer side for sure and at half the price the cart goes for these days by itself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180898670649?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
If its the one in that pic, id say youre safe, good deal ;)

bradtemple87

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Yes it is the item pictured, the sticker on the label was another good sign of a past sale.

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

I have one here in that same green shell, all genuine, but bootleg boards. I can see the chips in that one though so id say youre safe.

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
You need to burn knuckle on original hardware mate. You won't be dissapointed :)

I bought my neo geo aes just to get all 8 fatal fury games which I longed for as a kid!

Wereroku

n00b
I have not had any problems but I think on the whole MVS is not a problem since you can get board pics. However AES seems like a gamble.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
There are some great deals that pop up on Ebay for the MVS stuff, I bought a bunch of lots to get me started.
Look for this seller called yaton6262
http://myworld.ebay.ca/yaton6262
He puts up some carts at 9.99$ starting bid every now and then, they are super dirty but its always authentic goods.
You just gotta be patient.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Yeah ebay is not THAT bad as long as you are patient and temper your desire for a game if it's on the pricier side. Sites like KLOV and this one are usually the most reliable for getting titles though as people can actually be called out on bad buys or bad sales which removes the chance of getting bootleg material.

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
What is KLOV?

And what's Strikers 1945? It good?

Thanks for the advice guys. I might get an AES eventually (is there a way to make MVS carts play on an AES?) and if I do I'll remember what I've been told. I mostly just want the King of Fighters games.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Yeah, STRIKERS 1945+ is good. It's always in my play stack. Check it out.

I got a copy, a while back, in a small box of used mvs carts, for $30 a cart. And I didn't get it off eBay. eBay is a middleman. They will always be a middleman--just like PayPal.

As far as eBay goes: Know your item--Know how eBay Buyer Protection works--Stick to your budget-- And stay away from the LOCKER WARS. Some eBayers just love clicking money away.

Last edited: