should the glass in my mvs cab be tinted?

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
pulled the glass to clean it today and noticed it was tinted....is this the norm?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
pulled the glass to clean it today and noticed it was tinted....is this the norm?

It's both normal, and very stupid. I HATE when glass is tinted, and replace it with clear as soon as I can. I still remember my first Neo candy I bought. I loved it. However....

One day I was playing roms to see what game I should buy next. I played Fatal Fury Special on the emulator, and was upset at how bright and crisp it was on my computer monitor compared to my arcade monitor. I tried to adjust the settings and what not, but it just wasn't as nice. It wasn't until I had lifted up the machine's hood, revealing the naked monitor without the glass in front of it, that the thing was BEAUTIFUL. The damn glass had a dark tint to it. I replaced it, and loved it ever since. I did the same thing to my Nintendo Playchoice cab.

I think there's two reasons why they do this. One, I think, is to reduce glare. Trust me, there's not difference. Two, and this one is shitty - they do it so when burn in happens, it's not as noticeable.

If you don't want to read this whole post, the moral of the story is REPLACE THAT SHIT.

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
thanks for the quick reply man. did you use tempered glass or plexi? where did you get yours? remember a price?

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
I actually don't mind the tint if you have a good monitor.

My KI2 cab has no tint, a Geo has tint. If both have great monitors, it gets a bit eye straining to sit so close to a bright monitor..... The obvious answer is to turn the brightness down, but try it both ways and you'll see the difference - it's not just about the overall brightness, but the tint has a bit of a dampening effect without making the dark areas too dark.

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
hmm, that holds some merit as well. i ll pull the glass and play it for awhile...my monitor is pretty nice (no burn in runs bright and crisp)....see which way i preferre.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I replaced mine with clear glass as well. How much it is depends on the quality of glass you're willing to shell out for. Amusement machines should technically only have safety glass. That adds a bit to the cost. I got mine with safety glass and had the edges pencil polished which makes them rounded for an additional measure of safety and makes it look a little nicer. I think it ended up being around $100, out of which the edging was not an insignificant percentage.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
I don't mind tinted glass especially on classic games but the tint on the Neo cabs is a bit too much. It doesn't really bother me while playing, though.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
my minicute has tinted plexi (or some kind of plastic-type thing)...

I'm interested in replacing it with clear Makrolon or Lexan What kind of place can do a custom replacement? The shape curves around, so it wouldn't be a flat piece.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I bought an Empty DK for $50 and put a VGA monitor and multiboard in it.

When I bought the re manufactured DK Bezel, It was not only tinted dark, but slightly green (maybe it had something to do with the vga monitor).

Anyways, I just turned down the green signal.