Simple passport question

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Hey folks, I just have a quick question and since I know many of you like to travel often, I'm confident I'll get a quick and easy answer.

Q is, is a passport required to travel from state to state? I know there are immigration checkpoints along some roads, hence my q. (I'm a u.s. citizen btw)

I haven't traveled in a while, and with the new passport law changes since june 1 to traveling to mexico and back, I'm just curious if there's anything new regarding state to state.

Thanks!

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
that would be silly.

05926.jpg

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
You only need a passport to leave New Jersey. That's how we keep all the trash from flowing over. Be careful though, because many of the border agents carry weapons. You never know when an coked-up egg carton's gonna freak out and start shooting.

aria

Former Moderator
Hey folks, I just have a quick question and since I know many of you like to travel often, I'm confident I'll get a quick and easy answer.

Q is, is a passport required to travel from state to state? I know there are immigration checkpoints along some roads, hence my q. (I'm a u.s. citizen btw)

I haven't traveled in a while, and with the new passport law changes since june 1 to traveling to mexico and back, I'm just curious if there's anything new regarding state to state.

Thanks!

No, but if you're traveling to and from Mexico (or vice versa) you will need one anyway (at least on the US side) --I mean, they even require one for Canada now, so we don't try and smuggle free healthcare across the border. There are a few other documents that are permissible, but they're likely inapplicable here.

Here's the definitive U.S. Government site on the issue:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

EDIT:

but yeah, STK speaks for me too.

More people need to travel --anywhere. Its just good for you.

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
No, but if you're traveling to and from Mexico (or vice versa) you will need one anyway (at least on the US side) --I mean, they even require one for Canada now, so we don't try and smuggle free healthcare across the border. There are a few other documents that are permissible, but they're likely inapplicable here.

Here's the definitive U.S. Government site on the issue:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

EDIT:

but yeah, STK speaks for me too.

More people need to travel --anywhere. Its just good for you.
Thanks!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You'll be stopped when entering CA to make sure you aren't bringing in any outside/non-native plant life.

I'm not aware of any other states that makes such a check.

Last edited:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
You'll be stopped when entering CA to make sure you aren't bringing in any outside/non-native plant life.

I'm not aware of any other states that makes such a check.

Really?

I've never been stopped.

All CA has is non-native plant life.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Really?

I've never been stopped.

All CA has is non-native plant life.

You'll be stopped if you have out of state plates. Sometimes the stop is mandatory on all vehicles, but other times I have driven in to CA and didn't have to stop.

I guess it just happens if they feel like throwing up the checkpoint.

But there is a pretty major one on I-80 shortly after the NV/CA border with little toll booths and all.

I was stopped driving in to CA in April and as was my Dad in a car with MO plates and later in the year in a rented U-Haul.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
You'll be stopped if you have out of state plates. Sometimes the stop is mandatory on all vehicles, but other times I have driven in to CA and didn't have to stop.

I guess it just happens if they feel like throwing up the checkpoint.

But there is a pretty major one on I-80 shortly after the NV/CA border with little toll booths and all.

I was stopped driving in to CA in April and as was my Dad in a car with MO plates and later in the year in a rented U-Haul.

Hmm. They must be tightening up, though I believe I've avoided I-80 and opted for other roads. I can't help but believe they're searching for other things than plants. I've driven across the country a few times but never ran into trouble... got stopped a couple times in California for other things (no infractions)... I don't even think my plates were good at the time. To be a hobo again... :annoyed:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I suspect they're looking for drugs.

Apparently if you get flagged over to this one side of the check station it means they're going to tear apart your car and search all over it.

Never heard of that happening from anyone I know, just based on what my dad said.

In an unrelated topic I wonder if the emissions testing in MO is a decree from the state saying certain areas have to do it, or if it's the local jurisdictions who have enacted emissions testing.