[SOLVED] No/low sound from "center" speaker on MVS 4 Slot

Karny

n00b
Hi there

I just bought my first arcade cab yesterday. I've had all sort of fun with it so far and I've finally got the buttons mapped correctly.

The main problem I'm having now is with the sound. At first there was no sound coming from the 'left' speaker, but it turns out that was just a loose wire. Now that that's fixed, I can hear both right and left audio out of both speakers, but the center test is so soft you can barely hear it. It also makes playing games sound very odd.

I'm guessing the wiring has been done badly as both speakers are playing both left and right audio... So it's missing out on the center channel somehow, but I'm such a n00b I wouldn't really know where to start.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! :help:

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
Hi there

I just bought my first arcade cab yesterday. I've had all sort of fun with it so far and I've finally got the buttons mapped correctly.

The main problem I'm having now is with the sound. At first there was no sound coming from the 'left' speaker, but it turns out that was just a loose wire. Now that that's fixed, I can hear both right and left audio out of both speakers, but the center test is so soft you can barely hear it. It also makes playing games sound very odd.

I'm guessing the wiring has been done badly as both speakers are playing both left and right audio... So it's missing out on the center channel somehow, but I'm such a n00b I wouldn't really know where to start.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! :help:

sounds like your cab is wired for mono sound. is it a dedicated cabinet, or a conversion?

if you have a multimeter handy, trace your wires. a 4 slot out puts stereo through the jamma harness. Pin 10 should go to the + terminal on your right speaker. Pin L should go to the + terminal on your left speaker. both speakers - should go to ground.

Last edited:

Karny

n00b
Thanks for your response! It's a conversion.

I've had a look and there's just 2 wires going to the 'right' speaker, which are then directly wired to the next! Bad job.

What sort of wire should I use for this? Sorry for the really n00b questions, I've just never done anything like this before.

SSS

neo retired
Thanks for your response! It's a conversion.

I've had a look and there's just 2 wires going to the 'right' speaker, which are then directly wired to the next! Bad job.

What sort of wire should I use for this? Sorry for the really n00b questions, I've just never done anything like this before.

you could just go to your local radio shack or equivalent and pick up a spool of speaker hook up wire

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102569

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
WARNING: If you do rewire the cab, do NOT put a JAMMA board in it to play. You probably end up burning out the audio output IC on the JAMMA board.

aclbandit

Another Striker
WARNING: If you do rewire the cab, do NOT put a JAMMA board in it to play. You probably end up burning out the audio output IC on the JAMMA board.

QFT.

However, they do make converters that make it "safe" to use regular JAMMA in an MVS.

Karny

n00b
sounds like your cab is wired for mono sound. is it a dedicated cabinet, or a conversion?

if you have a multimeter handy, trace your wires. a 4 slot out puts stereo through the jamma harness. Pin 10 should go to the + terminal on your right speaker. Pin L should go to the + terminal on your left speaker. both speakers - should go to ground.

Thanks for this! Turns out they hadn't wired the ground, so it was a relatively minor job once I figured out what was going on. My first soldering job and I didn't break anything! Woohoo! It's ugly as hell though ;)

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Thanks for this! Turns out they hadn't wired the ground, so it was a relatively minor job once I figured out what was going on. My first soldering job and I didn't break anything! Woohoo! It's ugly as hell though ;)
Heh. Since it's inside of the cabinet, no one will see it :p

Glad you were able to figure it out.