Speaking of Gradiuses...

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Which we weren't. :D

I took Gradius Deluxe Pack on Saturn and put some time into Gradius II as I can't get through level 1 after 30m of play in Gradius I. So, GII is absolutely hard as nails. I absolutely can't get past stage 3 which owns me every fucking time. 1 life lost? Say bye bye to your whole credit. This game's simply insane.

When I remember GV now, I find it simply easy. I know there's a huge gap between thses 2 era, you won't learn me something but still... There's no way to play beyond the 1st life lost in GII.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
You do know the Konami code, don't you? It's in this and every other Gradius port. There's also an option to set-up a continue feature in the option screen.

As for difficult Gradius games, arcade Gradius III has yet to be surpassed. I just now figured out a somewhat surefire way of defeating the 2nd boss in that game.

Gradius and Gradius Gaiden are the only games I can clear on the easiest settings. In Gradius IV I usually blow it in the lava stage-speed stage depending on how well I'm playing. Gradius V usually starts getting harder at the meteor stage boss. What a pain! :oh_no:

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
The gradius series rocks. So does the Salamander stuff. Got really into Gradius when I go t the collection for PSP. Gaiden is AMAZING... really good graphics and fun gameplay.

Gradius II is So damn hard, and Gradius III is harder....

My favorite is the first one. Something about it just comes together the best for me, there is something so classic and standard feeling about it.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
YeldellGW said:
You do know the Konami code, don't you? It's in this and every other Gradius port. There's also an option to set-up a continue feature in the option screen.

No I don't... I don't play with continues anyway.

starman

Armored Scrum Object
All the Gradius/Salamander/Parodius games are consistent quality. Except Gradius 4... which is alright but not amazing. And maybe Salamander 2, although IMO its a pretty solid game.

Gradius 2 doesn't start getting hard till the Maoi level. There is a severe difficulty spike right about there... mainly because the double blows fricken chunks. Seriously, all Gradius games should have a double shot like Gradius Gaiden or the GBA one. It makes Maoi levels beatable. Blowing up Maoi's with the laser shot is just too hard... :(

Gradius 3 however starts out really hard, then jumps to impossible right about the 3rd level, then jumps to WTF right after that level, because the 3d level is full of bad hit detection that just screams cheap death. And it goes to lim n->inf (WTF^n) as you go farther onwards... :mad::mad:

But yeah, as I was saying, quality! and Gradius! The Sword against the Bacterion Empire!

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Vincere said:
No I don't... I don't play with continues anyway.

Pause then enter the following code,

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A.

If done correctly, you should receive full power-ups, excluding speed I believe.

Keep in mind if it doesn't work you might not be hitting the appropriate buttons.

I remember on the SNES version of Gradius III that entering the left, right, left, right portion of the code using the control pad caused the Viper to receive full power-ups, but the ship would explode upon unpausing the game (You had to use the L and R buttons in order to receive full power-ups and continue the game safely.). Also in some Konami games where the code was utilized, buttons A & B may have swapped orders in the code.

If all else fails, check for a faq. I'm sure there's got to be one out there for this game.

Kiken

Camel Slug
starman said:
Gradius 2 doesn't start getting hard till the Maoi level. There is a severe difficulty spike right about there... mainly because the double blows fricken chunks. Seriously, all Gradius games should have a double shot like Gradius Gaiden or the GBA one. It makes Maoi levels beatable. Blowing up Maoi's with the laser shot is just too hard... :(

I've never had a problem using the Weapon System 1 Double on the Moai. You just have to be aggressive and point-blank their mouths.

YeldellGW said:
Pause then enter the following code,

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A.

If done correctly, you should receive full power-ups, excluding speed I believe.

Keep in mind if it doesn't work you might not be hitting the appropriate buttons.

The Konami Code is not in any of the Deluxe packs (which are supposed to be the default arcade versions). I'm also pretty sure it doesn't exist in any of the PC-Engine versions either.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Kiken said:
The Konami Code is not in any of the Deluxe packs (which are supposed to be the default arcade versions). I'm also pretty sure it doesn't exist in any of the PC-Engine versions either.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/saturn/code/575944.html

This says different.

Been awhile since I played the Deluexe Pack for the Saturn, but I do remember utilizing the code in both Gradius games.