Special limited productions for AES.

naitram

The Old Man
Wow, I have to say - for US inserts, those are pretty classy looking.

But I'm glad I'm only into Japanese games so I don't have to worry about getting these. ;)

Shawn

snkusa.com
Lastblade said:
In any case, this news is very underwhelming (not to mention confusing on so many levels, to gamers/collectors/distribution, etc). Of course, this is not Shawn's fault, but rather, Playmore's rather strange business practice.
SNK Playmore really shouldn’t be blamed for these artworks, they should be thanked. The production of these more traditional style inserts were based on your requests for English version inserts with a logo and a meg count, among other changes. The removal of the “NTSC only” from certain titles was another request that was implemented that some of you may have overlooked, as that only added confusion (since there were no incompatibility issues). Also, I would love to see a show of hands from members who would really rather see the slug series have red stripes instead of blue.

The return of the gray border was a final touch for those who want uniformity for their English home cart collections. I’ve seen these inserts in person, and I honestly think they are very beautiful, and I’m sure the vast majority of you will think the same once you see them in person. Actually, most of you already do appreciate the design of classic edition artworks, from what I’m reading in this very thread.

I believe the majority of the negativity comes from the fact that these are not going to be given away like promotional flyers. I can also understand that many of you want certain classic edition art packs, but are disgruntled that you cannot simply purchase them individually. Compounding matters is the supply that is obviously very limited, and for good reason. These were created in the best interest of collectors, and for collectors, this should be a dream come true.

A fundamental paradox exists with collectibles such as this. If everyone can have one, no one would want one. That’s one of the reasons for the NeoGeo’s cult like success. Just imagine if our home cartridges were mass produced and sold like CD’s, the magic on your shelf would have lost some serious luster, don’t you think? Now many of you will have the opportunity to own items that are truly special. These are not NGF corrected Kinko inserts, these are the real thing. They are SNK. They are gold.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Shawn said:
SNK Playmore really shouldn’t be blamed for these artworks, they should be thanked. The production of these more traditional style inserts were based on your requests for English version inserts with a logo and a meg count, among other changes. The removal of the “NTSC only” from certain titles was another request that was implemented that some of you may have overlooked, as that only added confusion (since there were no incompatibility issues). Also, I would love to see a show of hands from members who would really rather see the slug series have red stripes instead of blue.

The return of the gray border was a final touch for those who want uniformity for their English home cart collections. I’ve seen these inserts in person, and I honestly think they are very beautiful, and I’m sure the vast majority of you will think the same once you see them in person. Actually, most of you already do appreciate the design of classic edition artworks, from what I’m reading in this very thread.

I believe the majority of the negativity comes from the fact that these are not going to be given away like promotional flyers. I can also understand that many of you want certain classic edition art packs, but are disgruntled that you cannot simply purchase them individually. Compounding matters is the supply that is obviously very limited, and for good reason. These were created in the best interest of collectors, and for collectors, this should be a dream come true.

A fundamental paradox exists with collectibles such as this. If everyone can have one, no one would want one. That’s one of the reasons for the NeoGeo’s cult like success. Just imagine if our home cartridges were mass produced and sold like CD’s, the magic on your shelf would have lost some serious luster, don’t you think? Now many of you will have the opportunity to own items that are truly special. These are not NGF corrected Kinko inserts, these are the real thing. They are SNK. They are gold.

What about us JPN collectors, I feel kinda shafted that we got left out of this. Oh well, less focus off of japanese carts so us gamers can get what we want.

Kusanagi-sama'

Ninja Combat Warrior
Shawn said:

Beautifully written Shawn. I agree 100%.

As soon as you release some prices for these "classic" packs I will be adding them to my current order immediately! :buttrock:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Just curious, Shawn. When do you think you will recieve the needed packing materials so you can start taking orders?

Edit: Also, I noticed that the packing that the sets of inserts come in have an insert that is taped on top of the packages to identify them. Maybe if you haven't torn them off to open the packages, you could give them away in some sort of Neo-Geo.com contest? I mean, they are essentially un-sellable because of the scotch tape on the corners, plus it gives a chance to some members who might have already purchased the carts from your store to get a classic insert to display in their collection. What do you think?

Last edited:

Kusanagi-sama'

Ninja Combat Warrior
ResOGlas said:
Just curious, Shawn. When do you think you will recieve the needed packing materials so you can start taking orders?

I second that. I am itching to get my order in and secured. Come on Shawn - hurry?!:confused:

Shawn

snkusa.com

These were ordered on Friday, March 19th by UPS 2-day air from Uline.com. I’m thinking they should arrive Tuesday, but just depends on when Uline shipped or will ship my order. No tracking # provided yet, but if they provide one I’ll be sure to post it up.

I noticed that the packing that the sets of inserts come in have an insert that is taped on top of the packages to identify them.

Good observation, this is correct. The inserts on the top are just that, for identification of which package contains which inserts. For now they still serve a purpose. Will figure out what to do with the taped inserts when the time comes.

Sklabah

Another Striker
I ordered KOF 2003 on Friday. At full price. I want both the classic AND the original insert. Classic to frame, OG to keep in the case, since i think it looks superior. Will this happen, or is a purchase required on my part...again.

Really, I just want to save enough for MS5 before it disappears.

And I notice that Matrimelee hasn't been redone. Hmmm.

SHO

Raiden's Valet
So how will these be going round?

I have MS4, i want the art pack!!!

I have the invoice to prove it :D

Guess i'm not entitle to the other ones, when i dont have the cart:(

SHO

Raiden's Valet
ResOGlas said:
So guys, seeing as how Shawn isn't allowed to discuss production quantity of the inserts for obvious sales reasons, let's start playing the guesing game.

Soooo, the individual insert packages seem to be the exact same size as 100 sheets of ordinary printing paper. Since the neo inserts use slightly thicker glossy paper, my educated guess would be roughly 75-80 inserts for each game.

What do you guys think?

Oh yeah, better place your order soon, because one of those KOF'03 classic inserts in comin' up ResOGlas!

i say 150 he needs enough to cover his kof2001 stock

Stephane

Boss Hogg,
rimm_rs said:
Dude, STFU.

If Shawn says it is real, then it is real.

The man is the OFFICIAL distributor and goes to great lengths to seel only legit stuff.

Step down; that's my advice.

was a strange news for me, i have the right to doubt ? no ?

rarebucky

Sort-of Lurker,
I could be wrong but look at the sizes of those insert packs - there's no way there's over 100 inserts in each of those. Besides, he did not state that there would be a new classic insert for EVERY copy of the game he had in stock. It'll only be available for the first 50-80 purchases if those purchasers choose to have the classic pack, I would assume.

Mercedes

Hardened Shock Trooper
Shawn said:

Well said, Shawn.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
A question to everyone who quoted Shawns big reply in full, and then answered with one or two lines of text: Why!?

Also: I still haven't figured out how the MS4 art packs are going to be distributed? :spock:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
wow, once again English/US homecart buyers get the bonus!

DIE , you filthy jpn ngh or bare MVS gamers/collectors! you are mere scum in playmores eyes! sell up and go for grey and megcounts!

we'll love you after.. and shower you with gifts

SHO

Raiden's Valet
gamers don't need fancy inserts.... because they are gamers!

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Well I still think it is silly, And I will not take part in this collector Tomfoolery for establishing pseudo uniformity in their diversified collection.

I would also argue the requirement for purchasing the NGH in order to get some inserts as a requirement by SNK/Playmore ;)

But This is one Fan's oppinion.

Mercedes

Hardened Shock Trooper
Kristian Meller said:
A question to everyone who quoted Shawns big reply in full, and then answered with one or two lines of text: Why!?

Also: I still haven't figured out how the MS4 art packs are going to be distributed? :spock:

Am I required to write a long essay about my thought and on my reply?

:) :) :) :)

Sklabah

Another Striker
For the collectors: Good news! Something more to buy.

For the sane: SNKPlaymore did listen to the fans. The fans want to throw their money at product. All SNKP had to do was make up a few inserts, send out some old Japanese AES stock (Which you KNOW they have) and viola: space wasters are instantly collectible new stock! Who wants to bet me there's a sudden influx of Japanese MS4 AES carts in the Neo Store, priced to go along with the new inserts and stickers?

It makes good business sense, and Shawn certainly does do good business. I've never been dissatisfied. But I've never purchased anything without thinking through the whole process.

SHO

Raiden's Valet
Sklabah said:
For the collectors: Good news! Something more to buy.

For the sane: SNKPlaymore did listen to the fans. The fans want to throw their money at product. All SNKP had to do was make up a few inserts, send out some old Japanese AES stock (Which you KNOW they have) and viola: space wasters are instantly collectible new stock! Who wants to bet me there's a sudden influx of Japanese MS4 AES carts in the Neo Store, priced to go along with the new inserts and stickers?

It makes good business sense, and Shawn certainly does do good business. I've never been dissatisfied. But I've never purchased anything without thinking through the whole process.

even if you convert jap ms4 to US ms4... you still end up with a jap manual!

so it still aint an official US ms4

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
SHO said:
even if you convert jap ms4 to US ms4... you still end up with a jap manual!

so it still aint an official US ms4

Exactly, that's why I am so confused about this being collectible and all.

dreamstationx

Marked Wolf
20 Year Member
... But a US Metal Slug 4 with both the original and re-issued insert and the new cart sticker, even if not applied WOULD be a collectors piece... Same goes for all the Re-Issue Inserts... include them with an already original US cart and you have a very nice collection in the future... :D:D:D

Im sure the Price Guide would have to price each cart as with or without the new artwork...

dreamstationx

Marked Wolf
20 Year Member
... I just hope SHAWN opens the sale so us UK English chapps can get a look in due to the time differences... If he did it at say 9pm it would be 3am here !!!

Hope he does it in the next few hours or in the morning US time so it would be early evening for us....

Be gutted if I woke up to find they all went !!!

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
From an anal point of view, originality can't be combined with any swapping of any part of what originally came 'bundled' out of the original factory.

Period.