Splitting Same Screen 2/4 Player JVS Games

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
I wanted to write this up like my Naomi linking post for both posterity and to get some suggestions for more games. I'm sure this may be common knowledge to most.

So for starters, linking or splitting two cabinets for a single JVS game is really really easy. You just need to split the audio and video, and then daisy chain the JVS I/Os. I think that last bit is the only "a-ha" moment necessary as everything else is straightforward. It makes this significantly less difficult, IMO, than dealing with multi cabinet JAMMA games.

JVS I/Os can be chained together up to some large number (32?) and all generally operate on a serial standard that should talk to one another between manufacturers and versions. Just take the one cabinet's USB cable and instead of plugging it into a game board you plug it into the other cabinet's I/O.

Stuff to do it:
VGA Splitter
Long USB extension cable
Long VGA extension cable
Long RCA cable
RCA Couplers

RCA Splitters

The specifics of couplers and splitters and extension cables is not really important, just make all the connections. Split the audio, split the video, and plug the one I/O into the other.

I have all my assorted cables and extensions running between my Cyber Lead with the Namco I/O and my Blast City with a Sega I/O. They work fine together, with either being the first in the chain.

If anyone wants more specific specifics, I can get some pics together a write up a step by step.

Useful games I've done this with so far:

Tekken Tag Tournament - it has a 4 player mode in the settings. It becomes one cabinet vs the other in teams, very cool imo. The tekken tag hardware is also cool in that you don't even need splitters since it's designed for the cyberlead cabinet which already has audio and video out on the back.

Power Stone 2 - I think there's a setting for 4 player, or it just works.

This should also work with any 2 player jvs game with each of your i/os set to single player.

Last edited: