SSIV musings & inquiries after beating it on 1 credit.

The King Prawn

Marked Wolf
*Using Basara on the default Level 4*

*Additional... I only say “1 credit” as I'm one of those “sore losers” that loathes the continue screen, so I'll just start a new game. I'm not gloating or saying I'm better then anyone.*

Now mind you my only other SS experience has been the original when I had an AES back in the day, so this fighting system is entirely new to me and it was like playing a new game... which it is. Additionally I still don't understand all the ins & outs, so I'm not certain what dictates your opponent queue. Usually with Basara I start with Galford, yet at times it'll be Ukyo or that girl with the parasol. I keed I keed! The girl bit is something my friends and I joke about. So if someone can shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated.... Not the femininity of the latter character in question but the opponent queue.

...Note, I did use the search function and googled a bit. All I got was a number of wrong move lists (alright, a couple were spot on) and story lines.

The AI seems to be rather intelligent in the respect that it seems to pick up your patterns from previous fights and shuts down said tactic. Additionally I found certain characters (at times) to be rather cheap and block/counter everything you throw at them, and yet the next round after being dealt a heaping bowl of you-suck being able to get a perfect to finish the match.

Curiously I had a friend visit from out of town right when I put SSIV in the Big Red, and she would get to Amakusa on 1 credit with the "button mash" technique, however myself knowing some commands would be stopped dead in my tracks by the 4th opponent. I tried to play like I didn't know what I was doing to see it was the AI or just luck, but that was stupid. I always reverted to trying some technique or other.

Speaking of computer opponents, I found Genjuro to be rather difficult regardless of when he appears given his reach & strength. Luckily you don't regularly fight him w/ Basara. Is this common for this character?

Oh, and apparently there's a story of some sort where your chosen character fights another predetermined character once all is said and done. You know, the first meat puppet that jumps from the ledge and talks shite, unless of course you're hitting buttons to get to the action.... If that's the case you have no clue which playable character is coming at you like a steaming plate of you-are-the-reason-that-women-have-abortions. No other linking dialog or story in between. I'm sorry, I love a good story.

Speaking of the ending, is it ever in English? Or perhaps there is a stipulation that gets you a “good ending”? Did I not do a cool move to finish the gigantic bloke w/ huge prayer beads? All I got was scrolling Japanese text with more then likely the same thing voiced over, also in Japanese. Quite the disappointment.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Didn't seem that there was much SSIV discussion here so I figured what the hell.