Store PCBs: cardboard boxes, labels etc..

yami

Mr. Big's Thug
Drooling... err... looking at various photos in the collection gallery I see a lot of people that store their JAMMA PCBs in cardboard boxes with some labels.

What would be the recommended measures of cardboard boxes to store the majority of JAMMA boards (dedicated, CPS-1, CPS-2) comfortably?

Where I can find PSD templates to print my own labes for those boxes?

Thanks.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
This is something which I have struggled with over the last 20 years. I have always kept my jamma boards wrapped nicely in bubble wrap bags, with the jamma edge connector protruding slightly out the open end, and then stored within a thin rectangular cardboard box, slid onto a shelving unit and/or a bookcase alongside the other boards, and then labeled on its spine just like home system game boxes.

However, since jamma boards come in so many different sizes and shapes, and since they take up so much space as well, it becomes extremely difficult to maintain any kind of uniformity on the shelves. Granted, some can be grouped relatively well, but for the most part, it is not possible to buy 100 of just 1 style or type of box, and use that box for all of the boards.

Over the years, mostly due to this problem for which causes me far more distress because of my OCD as well as because of my limited storage space available, I of course modified my collection to comply with it. As an example, I sold off most of my large boards, just because they took up so much room and they could not be accommodated and/or displayed properly. Huge boards like, Primal Rage, Rampage, Xenophobe, etc. are just so freakin' big, that they waste too much space and were causing me too much grief, so I simply got rid of them.

The boards take up much less space when you simply wrap and stack a dozen or so of them in medium to large sized boxes, as opposed to housing each board in its own individual box. Granted, all of them lined up in their own smaller individual boxes look beautiful and make for an awesome bookcase / library style presentation, but it does take up more room however.

In the end, I had to literally sell a bunch of cabinets because I got to the point where I had so many cabs and so many boxes that everything was buried and hard to get to. People would come over and I would show them my list of boards and they would say stuff like: "oh sweet, let's play some Ghosts 'n Goblins" and I would say, "oh, well it's kind of hard to get to right now". And they were like: "what's the point in having it, if you can't play it?" It just got to be ridiculous really. The bottom line is you need to be organized and you need to be able to reach and get to your boards and have access to them easily so that you can play them when you want to. And it needs to be convenient and easy to play them. Having to move 10 boxes out of the way and standing at an uncomfortable angle while trying to play a jamma board in a cabinet is absolutely insane. That is NOT what I call fun. And these games are supposed to be fun!

Anyhow, less is more. Remember that rule. If you have so many boards and so many cabinets that you cannot even play any of them when you feel like doing so, then you have too many. A pretty simple rule. Stay simple. Stay organized. Stay happy.