Strange flicker/extra layer - SOLVED!

Karny

n00b
Hey...

I just got a copy of ultimate 11 and it seems to work a treat! Except there seems to a weird graphical glitch on the top half of the pitch. I haven't noticed any other problems, in fact the game looks, sounds and runs great.

Not sure if you can tell from this rather crappy picture, but there seems to be an extra blue overlay across the top half of the pitch, which is flickering rather badly. It makes the game unplayable.

I've checked the cart and it's not a boot, or if it is, it's the best boot ever.

Anything else it could be? I've tried it in different slots and with different combinations of other carts or by itself. All the same problem.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Karny

n00b
Cart is clean as a whistle now (it was dusty as hell when I got it), but it's still got that flicker.

It almost looks like it's a transparent layer that isn't transparent for some reason.

I'm using a Unibios.. could that have anything to do with it?

Weirdly, in the softdip section, it shows up as SVC Chaos!

Last edited:

Karny

n00b
I've taken a video which might show you what I'm talking about. It doesn't really look how it would to the eye, but you can see the dark spot over the top 3rd of the pitch.

Also, look at the circle in the centre of the pitch, there's almost like a ghost version hovering above it.

The video is here:
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/5982/mvi4822.mp4

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Cart is clean as a whistle now (it was dusty as hell when I got it), but it's still got that flicker.

It almost looks like it's a transparent layer that isn't transparent for some reason.

I'm using a Unibios.. could that have anything to do with it?

Weirdly, in the softdip section, it shows up as SVC Chaos!

Are you cleaning the PCB itself or the cart edge connector? Also clean the slot. It looks like a connection issue.

You also might want to try clearing the backup ram in the hardware test via hard dip 1.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
When you said SVC Chaos it sounded like something in the memory was stuck.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
You fixed it with the backup ram clearing... What it looked like was your board was picking up DIP settings for SVC and applying them in U11. Whatever the SvC settings were, they meant something different to U11 and it looked like it turned on a test feature.

Developers sometimes turn the shadow mode on at the start of the vertical retrace and then turn it off when done to indicate how much time is being used to send graphics to the video processor, or something along those lines...

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
We need a stickied post here that says "Clear your backup RAM before posting" as it seems to solve many of the issues people post in here.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
We need a stickied post here that says "Clear your backup RAM before posting" as it seems to solve many of the issues people post in here.

AND clean your cart edges with some alcohol! That seems to be even more common than backup ram issues.

Someone should add that to the hardware FAQ for the ng wiki page. Have a general troubleshooting wiki page that people can reference first.

madman

AND clean your cart edges with some alcohol! That seems to be even more common than backup ram issues.

Someone should add that to the hardware FAQ for the ng wiki page. Have a general troubleshooting wiki page that people can reference first.
That likely will not help. Despite tons of information on boots/legit people still post 100% legit carts and ask if they're boots. Or post a pic of a board with flash chips and no SNK marks anywhere asking if it's legit. People just don't research anything first, it's easier to just ask someone instead of trying to figure out on your own. Not saying the OP did this, just making a general statement based on what I've seen here.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
That likely will not help. Despite tons of information on boots/legit people still post 100% legit carts and ask if they're boots. Or post a pic of a board with flash chips and no SNK marks anywhere asking if it's legit. People just don't research anything first, it's easier to just ask someone instead of trying to figure out on your own. Not saying the OP did this, just making a general statement based on what I've seen here.

Valid point. But if it does exist, then at least people can reply with a link to said wiki entry rather than giong through troubleshooting ideas one post and reply at a time.

Still think it would be a nice idea while getting some more content on that wiki.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Maybe the boot section should have all new threads pending and need to read a FAQ and agree they've read it and if they still post something that is answered in the FAQ then they lose the privelage of posting any new threads at all.

madman

Yea...apologies for getting off topic, but I think a good solution for boot or no boot would be that people have to post why they think their cart is suspect. For example, "Cart has SNK boards/chips, but has 2 MX chips with wires on them." If they cannot give a reason, the post is deleted. There are far too many people who just post up pictures without any research.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Maybe the boot section should have all new threads pending and need to read a FAQ and agree they've read it and if they still post something that is answered in the FAQ then they lose the privelage of posting any new threads at all.

Wow if that's the way it turns out I'll just have to PM directly my boot or no boot pics to very knowledgeable, longtime, helpful,......Hawaiian members:loco:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
LOL. I think it should just redirect to ack's site and say if tour cart doesn't look like the pic then post a pic on the forum.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Fuck that pisses me off.. Most of the carts in the Boot or No Boot are absolutely ridiculous. :lol::lol: