Street Fighter USA?

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
i know both Now Loading and butta mentioned it in the other Capcom thread but i figured it deserved it's own topic. THis all stems from a post on Akiman's site that has now disappeared. Here is an archive of the page and the srk thread on it:

http://cgi.no-ip.org/cgi-bin/akiman/index-2004-11-10-021025.html
http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76028&page=1&pp=15

It's not 100% clear whether this means C-USA will be making new SF games, or if this is strictly for marketing reasons. Strange, to say the least. It could turn out OK, it could suck much ass, but it definitely is just one more sign of the end of an era.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
It smells like more moneymaking poor sequels and rehashes on horizon. Not that we aren't seeing it happening before cough...CFJ...cough but... it's said to lose all the hope :crying:

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Is there some deep seeded problem inside capcom we haven't heard about? Are they going broke or something?

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Would you rather be hung out to dry or let a studio that has let some GOOD games come out of it take a swing for the fences.

Fuck it.. let 'em try... Capcom folded the arcade division fold up like a cheap shirt.. let USA go for it.

More fucking power to them.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
I'm buying CFJ next week, and I'm sure I'll have fun playing it.

But I want something NEW. And in 2D. SF4, and new darkstalkers, a completely new game, whatever.

Random rambling

Tacitus

Staff member
Verythrax said:
Can't wait to see SF art drawn in Marvel/DC style :kekeke: :rolleyes: :annoyed: :crying:

... rather than no SF game at all?

Also, I kinda like that style.. it animates well. Would you rather they use the same gfx and sprites over and ov...... ooops... forgot what message board I was on for a sec... :kekeke: :kekeke: :kekeke:

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
VanillaThunder said:
... rather than no SF game at all?

Also, I kinda like that style.. it animates well.

Sincerely? I prefer the game to die with honor. Well, I'm not fan of that style, it may be just me, oh well.

VanillaThunder said:
Would you rather they use the same gfx and sprites over and ov...... ooops... forgot what message board I was on for a sec... :kekeke: :kekeke: :kekeke:

:kekeke: :kekeke: :kekeke:

But a whole new series, or uncompromised spin-off, with some remanescents would be cool enough. If they have the cojones to abandon the game name and stick just with the characters.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
If Capcom USA is making Street Fighter games, I have something more than Tiburon to look foward to.

Tacitus

Staff member
Verythrax said:
Sincerely? I prefer the game to die with honor. Well, I'm not fan of that style, it may be just me, oh well.

:kekeke: :kekeke: :kekeke:

But a whole new series, or uncompromised spin-off, with some remanescents would be cool enough. If they have the cojones to abandon the game name and stick just with the characters.

Heh.. they tried something like that with sf3.. and we ended up with Ken and Ryu anyways... ;)

People are really bitchy about the SF series.. for good reasons, but really the best of sf3 was the new stuff... I think in a lot of ways, the sf2 carryovers dragged it down a wee bit. (Double Impact and Third strike are still as close to perfect as possible, but throw-ins liek Chun-Li, Akuma and the Shotos took space from possibly new and innovative content)

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
VanillaThunder said:
Heh.. they tried something like that with sf3.. and we ended up with Ken and Ryu anyways... ;)

People are really bitchy about the SF series.. for good reasons, but really the best of sf3 was the new stuff... I think in a lot of ways, the sf2 carryovers dragged it down a wee bit. (Double Impact and Third strike are still as close to perfect as possible, but throw-ins liek Chun-Li, Akuma and the Shotos took space from possibly new and innovative content)

Ken, Ryu and Chun-li are pretty expendable in that game. I know that lots of people play with them in SF3, but cmon, SF3 didn't needed them to shine.

I was very disapointed that that game didn't do well in brazilian arcades and vanished quickly. But I feel relieved to see that they had good acceptance in Japan and US.

Tacitus

Staff member
Verythrax said:
Ken, Ryu and Chun-li are pretty expendable in that game. I know that lots of people play with them in SF3, but cmon, SF3 didn't needed them to shine.

I was very disapointed that that game didn't do well in brazilian arcades and vanished quickly. But I feel relieved to see that they had good acceptance in Japan and US.

It wasn't huge.. the tourney folk got ahold of it and made it stick.. it wasn't ever SF2... or even close.

Verythrax said:
Can't wait to see SF art drawn in Marvel/DC style :kekeke: :rolleyes: :annoyed: :crying:

Oh, come on, this doesn't guarantee bad art.

I hope.

And hell, I'm happy to see someone other than SNK and Sammy possibly putting out a 2d fighter.

10 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:

Akuma > All

I never really understood all the hate towards shotos.

Tacitus

Staff member
buttasuperb said:
Akuma > All

I never really understood all the hate towards shotos.

One is good...

Two.... ehh...

any more is ridiculous... and really.. how many shotos are in sf3? Think about it.

The fact they're always ridiculously upper-tier and overused also contributes to the hate.

Tacitus

Staff member
Dallas_Five said:
Are there any US-developed 2d fighters of note other than MK?

Time Killers... :lol:

10 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
One is good...

Two.... ehh...

any more is ridiculous... and really.. how many shotos are in sf3? Think about it.

The fact they're always ridiculously upper-tier and overused also contributes to the hate.

Yea there's 3 of them. They really need to kill off either Ken or Ryu. :kekeke: Akuma is god.

But they each play different these days. I woudn't really consider them upper tier in SF3, maybe Ken. Akuma might be a beast on offense, but he takes more damage and has no ex moves.

In fact I wouldn't consider anyone totally overpowered in SF3.

edit: Tis true they are overused, I see a shitload of Ken players online.

Last edited:
VanillaThunder said:
One is good...

Two.... ehh...

I vote they kill off Ken. :glee:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Dallas_Five said:
Are there any US-developed 2d fighters of note other than MK?
Are there any US-developed 2d fighters of note including MK? I never could get much into them. If you want to read something really funny, check out the Gamefan MK Trillogy guide, and read the interview with the creator (forget if it was Boon or Tobias) where he explains the problems with Street Fighter Alpha, and how the evolution in gameplay of MK is superior. That will cheer you up on a cloudy day.

I guess if you are going to mention MK, you should also mention Killer Instinct. Other than that and Final Fight Revenge (and Time Killers), I think that's about it.

Keeping aside any look or style a US made SF game might use... it's sad to have so little faith in my countrymen, but do I think they could make a SF game that played well? No.

No question about it. No. I hope it won't happen.

Tacitus

Staff member
buttasuperb said:
Yea there's 3 of them. They really need to kill off either Ken or Ryu. :kekeke: Akuma is god.

I could argue 5 or more.. I had this argument at the last get together at my house.

I'll be online soon to pwn all with dudley. :cool:

10 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
I could argue 5 or more.. I had this argument at the last get together at my house.

I'll be online soon to pwn all with dudley. :cool:

Ok so who are the other 2? Oro?

You order the import one?

SouthtownKid said:
Are there any US-developed 2d fighters of note including MK? I never could get much into them. If you want to read something really funny, check out the Gamefan MK Trillogy guide, and read the interview with the creator (forget if it was Boon or Tobias) where he explains the problems with Street Fighter Alpha, and how the evolution in gameplay of MK is superior. That will cheer you up on a cloudy day.

I guess if you are going to mention MK, you should also mention Killer Instinct. Other than that and Final Fight Revenge (and Time Killers), I think that's about it.

Keeping aside any look or style a US made SF game might use... it's sad to have so little faith in my countrymen, but do I think they could make a SF game that played well? No.

No question about it. No. I hope it won't happen.

Killer Instinct isn't American.

Tacitus

Staff member
buttasuperb said:
Ok so who are the other 2? Oro?

You order the import one?

Oro, Dudley, Ken, Sean, Akuma, Ryu

They're all shoto-types.. maybe not EXACTLY, but there's a HEAVY dose of shoto-type play there.

Tacitus

Staff member
jethrek said:
Killer Instinct isn't American.

Rare did it, so it's british...

...and fucking sweet...