Suggest The Best TG-16 / PC Engine Games To Play

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I've had my PC Engine and Everdrive for awhile and I play a handful of games. I know I'm probably missing out on lots of gems so please tell me your must play list. Thanks gents.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
These are some of my favs:

Raiden
Dragon Spirit
Splatterhouse
All the Bonks
All the Bombermans (great for get-togethers) (remember those?)
Final Lap Twin - Personal guilty pleasure of mine. It's a cross between a racing game and a traditional random encounter RPG.
Neutopia - budget Zelda clone. Still fun.
Adventure Island
Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu

pepelegit

Pleasure Goal
Second Jackie Chan. For all the great games on there, that's what I played the most.
I used to like the pinball ones but not sure how they've aged. Might be time to sit down with the tg16 again.

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
My top games are in no specific order

Neutopia 1 and 2
Bonk games
YS
Super Star soldier

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Thank you all awesome suggestions!

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Some of my faves:

Blazing Lazers (Gunhed)
Ninja Spirit
Bloody Wolf

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Some favorites not mentioned:

Volfied
Military Madness
Gekibo: Gekisha Boy
Legendary Axe

Naika

Street Hoop Star
My personal favorites from my collection are:

Ninja Spirit
Gate of Thunder
Dracula X: Rondo of Blood
Final Soldier
Star Parodier
Bomberman '94

Shmuppy

Banned
Just download the whole library and plough through it. PCE/CD has too many gems...

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I hate list threads with no description

Shockman - Mega Man clone with weird bosses.

Bravoman - the bad guy has a mushroom cloud hairdo and Bravoman says Bravo everytime you punch or kick.

China Warrior - a horrible game but with large sprites meant to show off the TG16 graphic powers. worth checking out.

Ninja Spirit - a perfect game. But it would be more perfect if you couldn't select different weapons all the time, a weapon item drop would have been better.

Bonze Adventure - Taito's answer to Ghouls n Ghosts with a Japanese flavor as opposed to GNG's European world.

Bloody Wolf - awesome Data East game with the best enemy death sprite animations.

just a few

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Fuggin sweet descriptions!

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Some favorites not mentioned:

Volfied
Military Madness
Gekibo: Gekisha Boy
Legendary Axe

How could I forget Volified. Released later on the OG Playstation as Qix Neo. If you like Qix, and who doesn't, it's a great new take on that game.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I got the TG16 mainly for two games: Galaga 88 (called Galaga 90 on the TG16) and Hyperdyne SideArms (personally one of my favorite side scroll shooters).

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
SideArms is ace on Turbo!

I also love DownLoad2, and Last Alert.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Sidearms is sweet and one of my few 1ccs. If you think about it the Turbografx library was quite strong, it just needed that third party push the Genesis got.

Raiden is an excellent port, and so is Ninja Spirit. The Legendary Axe I feel is a bit underrated for modern audiences but it's a tight and fun platformer.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Cadash
Son Son II
Legend of Hero Tonma
Mizubaku Daibouken/Liquid Kids
New Adventure Island
Zipang it's solomon key but with a samurai theme.
Soldier Blade

Shmuppy

Banned
Sidearms is sweet and one of my few 1ccs. If you think about it the Turbografx library was quite strong, it just needed that third party push the Genesis got.

Raiden is an excellent port, and so is Ninja Spirit. The Legendary Axe I feel is a bit underrated for modern audiences but it's a tight and fun platformer.

TurboGrafx didn't get much love which is a shame but PCE had really good 3rd party support. Legendary Axe and Ninja Spirit are excellent games, good choices. About Side Arms, never got into it. Always felt like a meh Forgotten Worlds to me. I should give it a real try on PCE-CD before judging.

Last edited:

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
My favorite PCE Hucards that I grew up with:
1943 Kai
Kyukyoku Tiger
R Type I & II
Nekketsu KoKo Dodgeball
Splatterhouse
Ninja Spirit
Outrun
Moto Roader 1 & 2
F1 Circus
World Jockey

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Ninja Spirit - As a few have already stated, this is a must play on the console. One of the best action games/ninja games in that era
Spriggan - One of my favorite shooters for the console. It has a neat upgrade system when it comes to your types of shots, good OST, cool bosses ect.
Gekisha boy - A weird game for sure, but lots of fun to play

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
About Side Arms, never got into it. Always felt like a meh Forgotten Worlds to me. I should give it a real try on PCE-CD before judging.
Keep in mind that Side Arms came out two years before Forgotten Worlds so if anything Forgotten Worlds is a soup-up version of Side Arms. I like both games but to truly appreciate Forgotten Worlds, you need to play it in an arcade cabinet with the knob control.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
From a perspective that they are still worth playing today.

Bonks - Still as fun today.
Neutopia I and II - Not just a Zelda clone. The 2nd really pushes some cool effects.
Dungeon Explorer - Gauntlet with RPG elements.
Silent Debugger - hard to explain
Y's - from a technical perspective, intriguing. Gameplay is getting dated.
Legendary Axe - still fun for sure.
Shooters - just take your pick. They are almost all still fun.
Legend of Hero Tonma - fun IREM game. Almost anything IREM is worth checking out.
Fausseté Amour - a little slow, but great looking platformer.

There's some other esoteric PCE platformers as well.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I got an awesome list now!!!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Samurai-Ghost - Namco sequel to The Genji and the Heike Clans (namco Collection volume 4, remember on ps1). Game has a spooky Japanese atmosphere. The character controls like shit and has the wonkiest attack animation. It's not a good game but worth trying out for a few levels.

Shmuppy

Banned
Ninja Spirit - As a few have already stated, this is a must play on the console. One of the best action games/ninja games in that era
Spriggan - One of my favorite shooters for the console. It has a neat upgrade system when it comes to your types of shots, good OST, cool bosses ect.
Gekisha boy - A weird game for sure, but lots of fun to play

Ninja Spirit is sooo good but in the last level when you fall down --> very very mean like IREM was in general. Spriggan? COMPILE as usual on fire. Gekisha Boy I don't know about but it sounds interesting!

Samurai-Ghost - Namco sequel to The Genji and the Heike Clans (namco Collection volume 4, remember on ps1). Game has a spooky Japanese atmosphere. The character controls like shit and has the wonkiest attack animation. It's not a good game but worth trying out for a few levels.

I prefer the predecessor. It's so Japanese and weird.

Last edited: