Super Auctions: really super, or just crap?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I've thought about going to these super auctions that show up now and then near me. Then I thought "do I really want to get anything from these places?" They're selling machines that are too run-down for an arcade, will someone like me (an arcade player... but collector, too) actually want in my house? Anyone go to these, and just how bad are the conditions of the machines? I'm a gamer, but I won't lie to you... I could play these on an emulator, so I do it for the collecting aspect first.

Little help?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
NeoCvra is gonna call me out on this, given my steamy thread with fatal fury fan #2....I think they're crap. But, I still go to every single one that comes through town cuz you never know what you'll find. You got nothing to lose, costs nothing to attend. Go check it out. But, they're mostly crap.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
If your into Arcade Machines,Pinball Machines,Touchscreen- etc..Take the trip,you'll enjoy it..
If you've never been to one I'd suggest to go..It'll answer your question and you'll know from personal experience.

You get to play almost everything there for free provided it's on...(Must Bring long Extension cord)

Stuff being sold could be in any condition,..From really nice to beat up..
You'll see stuff at auctions that you've never seen before..

I usually go (to buy) PCBs,parts and MVS carts,if they have them as I have bought,bid on MVS carts at auction before.

I personally like checking out Arcade machines,all kinds so that's another reason why I go....

Check out these threads..
New
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111473
Old
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74182&highlight=Super+Auctions
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72463&highlight=Super+Auctions

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I've gotten some great deals at SuperAuctions, but what bothers me is the tax 13% or some shit, plus your regular state sales tax.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Does'nt hurt to look. Super Auctions is one of the better auctioneers.
-BB

Last edited:

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
They had some really good cabs last time in Mesquite, TX. I was impressed with a few of them.

The downside is that a few pompous asses were there driving up prices like mad. Some wackjob paid about $2500 for a mini cab with one of those 250 in one PCBs for his children.

A candy with Street Fighter 2 (Not Street Fighter 2') went for an astronomical sum.

Most of the beaters or good candidates for a fix up went for reasonable prices however.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Do these guys have A website so I can see if they are coming to my town?

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
They had some really good cabs last time in Mesquite, TX. I was impressed with a few of them.

The downside is that a few pompous asses were there driving up prices like mad. Some wackjob paid about $2500 for a mini cab with one of those 250 in one PCBs for his children.

A candy with Street Fighter 2 (Not Street Fighter 2') went for an astronomical sum.

Most of the beaters or good candidates for a fix up went for reasonable prices however.

Yep, saw some idiot pay $1,500 before fees and taxe$ for a neo candy 29 with a 1-slot and metal slug 5 in it. [probably a boot] :loco:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
pixeljunkie said:
Yep, saw some idiot pay $1,500 before fees and taxe$ for a neo candy 29 with a 1-slot and metal slug 5 in it. [probably a boot] :loco:

[probably a boot]
:p

Wow!!....$1,500 before fees and taxe$

Till this day I've yet to see a Candy Cab at auction.. :(

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Same here the candy's don't make their way to the midwest often. Closest i've seen to a candy was what looked like a Dynamo chopped in half. Went for a decent amount.

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I have driven 6 hours to the closest Super Auctions sale and was less than impressed. I will stick to the 4 hour drive to another auction which is hit and miss (but seemes to have lower prices.)

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
There's a super auction coming to San Jose in June and I suspect that'll be a good one. California ones have the benefit of lots of local suppliers of cabs. Who here has been to the SJ show before?

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
If anyone tells you Super Auctions is great is not well informed or auction regulars.

(Sorry to call you all out on this)

Super Auctions is NOTORIOUS for Shill bidding with their OWN callers, "Finding bids" and their unreal auction fees.

I go for interesting shit that shows up, but be VERY careful there. You *can* get a good deal if you are patient, but if you wear your heart on your sleeve while bidding, the callers will mysteriously find bids. If you have a good poker face, use it.

Search in N&R for my auction posts and you can see my hastily written guide to arcade auctions in a few posts.

You're better off waiting for a US Amusements site, but they don't tour much. Just be careful.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
If anyone tells you Super Auctions is great is not well informed or auction regulars.

(Sorry to call you all out on this)

Super Auctions is NOTORIOUS for Shill bidding with their OWN callers, "Finding bids" and their unreal auction fees.

I go for interesting shit that shows up, but be VERY careful there. You *can* get a good deal if you are patient, but if you wear your heart on your sleeve while bidding, the callers will mysteriously find bids. If you have a good poker face, use it.

Search in N&R for my auction posts and you can see my hastily written guide to arcade auctions in a few posts.

You're better off waiting for a US Amusements site, but they don't tour much. Just be careful.

That does sound familiar. I was bidding on a cab once, and it got too high [since I was considering fees and taxes] but it got heated for a moment, when it seemed like nobody but me was willing to bid high, out of blue some guy who never bid on it up to that point was matching every bid I made. They were VERY high pressure to get me to continue bidding, but I all but flipped the dudes off. It was nuts.

I still go to see whats there though...but RARELY bid on anything.