Super Famicom Assistance Thread

Jedite

Bunker Buster
I just had bought a Super Famicom off eBay. The Super Famicom system was an "as is" sale.

But, the Super Famicom systems powers on fine and it had worked fine for a while.

However, the picture cuts from showing normal to show black and white intermittently. Then, sometimes, it will switch from back to color for a few minutes, then back to black and white. The type of black and white that is usually does to region incompatiblies. (Like you were to play a PAL system in a NTSC country due to the power differences.)
The color will switch on and off while the game is playing.

But, I thought that since JPN and US both use NTSC, they would not any problems or issues with displaying video.

As for troubleshooting goes, I have already tried 3 different AC adapters. Same result. Also, I have tried using Composite AV and RFU. Both do the same thing.

The only thing I can think is that AC Adapters are not correct and I need to use the offical Famicom adapter which has slightly different specs than the AC Adapter that I used.

The Super Famicom AC Adapter is 110V AC Input, 10V DC Output, 60 Hz.

The Adapter that I have used (which are not official, one of them is Sega Genesis Model 1 AC Adapter) were 120V AC Input, 10V DC Output, 60 Hz.

Then again, I don't how much of a difference the 20V of input will cause.
Tell what you guys think about this.

Any help is appreciated.

kerr9000

n00b
sure its not your telly it doesnt like?

I have a english snes running at 50hz for playing british games and then I have a modified snes running at 60hz and i found the 60hz one doesnt work on one of my televisions its fine on the others just this one tv has a problem with it..

the problem the graphics bodge up distort sometimes go to black and white so it sounds simmilar

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I can't get my SNES to work. I've tried 2 cables to the TV and I don't get a picture.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
How old is the TV? If it's one where you have to tune to channel 3 to see the game, you might have to tune to a different channel like 97 or something, which seems the designated input channel for Japanese stuff.

My friend has a Famicom and the signal looked like ass for a long time until he changed the channel from 3 to 97 (I think it was 97 at least), so that's my guess. Could be totally off though.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I don't think it has anything to do with AC Adaptor. Either TV or SNES console has some defects.

Normally I stay away buying "As is" ebay item or any item on sale. It tells me there's something "wrong" with it and that's all I can say.

I have two SFC consoles and they're working great with my 20 yrs old SONY :drool:

Jedite

Bunker Buster
Well, the TV is not that old. It's about 6 years old or so.
It's not a HDTV. Currently, I'm using Composite AV to the TV.
So, It uses its own channel for AV, I'm not using channel 3 or 95 (which is what it would need to be used as if I were using RFU).

Also, I tried hooking the SFC to my computer via GameBridge thru AV. Same result.

kerr9000

n00b
hate to say it but it sounds like there is a problem with the console hope not but ..

I thought i had a broken megadrive at one point but it turns out that the oldist of the mark one megadrives the ones with ext ports wont tune in on newer televisions hook them up to an old piece of crap tv and they work first time .... i keep one hooked up to my computer through a tv card so i can make reviews of megadrive stuff