Super Neo 29 Type II w/LCD Installed!

Wolf

Collectasaurus,
20 Year Member
So I bought a Super Neo 29 Type II from a forum member recently as my first cab! I can't get over how much better a Candy cab is than a US-cab for a home setting.

Anyway, after piecing together all the parts, I took the afternoon to install the SNK LCD, control board, and marqee.

If anyone is interested, I have a scan of the LCD marquee and after some processing with photoshop, it will be available to all. If anyone is handy with Illustrator, I would love it reproduced there.

Anyway, onto the pics:

Before:
Before.jpg

Both Marquees:
out.jpg

Backside of the LCD installed into the marquee:
in.jpg

Final Product:
after.jpg

I have a few long-term projects for the cab, but she's largely done for the time being.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Nice job on the install. That cab looks very clean and super sharp. Looks like you have a good amount of MVS kits too, way to go.

Wolf

Collectasaurus,
20 Year Member
Yeah, and my GF lives in Philly right now. :D

I pulled all my MVS stuff out of storage and had nowhere to put it! In another month, I'll have some new furniture to store my "habit" at home :help:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Man, I've been trying to find a full LCD replacement for my Super Neo 29. Was it hard for you to find a working unit?

Wolf

Collectasaurus,
20 Year Member
It was easy, but then again, I was lucky and happened across the parts I needed. If someone came to me today and asked me to find them all, I honestly don't know how long it would take. Months? Years?

IMHO, if the LCD dies, you're probably best off talking to some kind of skilled electronics repair shop or replacing it with a computer LCD. I'm honestly beginning the search NOW for a replacement LCD since it will proabably take years to find another.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
So, are you gonna have scrolling marquees there?

Wolf

Collectasaurus,
20 Year Member
Sadly, that kind of functionality is not there.

This is an OEM SNK part and it was designed to provide either the local game screen or a video of the other linked player. There may be some other basic functionality like video input that I haven't figured out yet, but scrolling marquees are dfinitely not part of the deal.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Oh ok. I remember someone a while back putting an electronic picture frame in their super neo that scrolled the marquees....did you do this just for the hell of it or are you linking machines?

Looks great.

Testocules

Fio's Quartermaster
That was me that put the digital picture frame in the marquee. The reason I did it was because I did not have a complete LCD kit for my cab.

Congrats, great job on the LCD install!

Your cab looks terrific now! Is that a replacement flat screen monitor? Can you tell us what model it is?

Also what about your plastic parts? Did you get the cab looking that nice or did you have to treat/paint the plastic pieces?

Wolf

Collectasaurus,
20 Year Member
Your cab looks terrific now! Is that a replacement flat screen monitor? Can you tell us what model it is?
I wouldn't really call it a replacement screen. It's the original SNK part. I have however seen two different versions of the LCD control board. Most (including mine) have yellow switches, but there is one with grey switches out there.

Also what about your plastic parts? Did you get the cab looking that nice or did you have to treat/paint the plastic pieces?
To be honest, it's really hard to tell, but I believe the cab has been restored once before. It's clearly got low playtime one it, but from what I can see, the plastics have all been repainted. Other than that, the only real work it's seen is to be cleaned up.

Oh, and the monitor is obviously not the original. It's a W-G D9800 tri-sync.

Oh ok. I remember someone a while back putting an electronic picture frame in their super neo that scrolled the marquees....did you do this just for the hell of it or are you linking machines?
Think of it as a restoration. My cab originally had the LCD screen, but was removed somewhere along the way. In my mind, the Type II cab with LCD screen has always been the most desired SNK-made Candy. For YEARS, the only one anyone ever saw was Chris Rays'.

While the Type II is slightly less hard to find today, it rarely comes up for sale and condition (with any cab) can always be suspect. So I HAD to jump on this one.

neilcowan

n00b
Looks amazing! Just what i'm after but sadly can't find anywhere in the UK that sells these! :(

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is there a way for it to display a cart in another slot?

Wolf

Collectasaurus,
20 Year Member
Is there a way for it to display a cart in another slot?

Nope. Besides, how could that be possible if the 4-slot only has one set of processors on the board? I don't own a 4-slot, but it's my understanding that it merely enables you to select different game data (MVS carts), without having duplicate processing hardware.

Since the LCD control board has its own Jamma harness, you could conceivably wire up two 1-slot boards in the cab and have one go to the LCD and one go to the CRT. But who wants to be the guy playing on the LCD anyway? ;)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Of course. I was wondering if there was a hack that could be done to do it. It wouldn't be feasable but would be cool.