Super Nova Super Gun has a hum...

slerch666

updyke,
When I plug my Super Nova in I get a feedback hum from my speakers, be it from the TV or the surround system. It does this without the power on. It also does it with the power on, though I try to limit the length of time I leave the system powered on with the 4 slot like this.

I decided to take it apart a little and found that if I disconnect the ground wire I no longer get the hum, however I'm not exactly comfortable running my Neo or the Hyper like this.

I've tried a different power cord (even though I knew it wouldn't change anything) and... it didn't have any effect.

I was going to rewire the ground and see if that helped, but I've been lazy and something tells me that's not it.

I've also played with the voltage, just in case, but that didn't help either.

Anyone have any ideas on things to try?

Oh, and I tried emailing MAS and their response was... stone cold silence. Do they even exist anymore?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Have you eliminated your cables as a possible source?

slerch666

updyke,
norton9478 said:
Have you eliminated your cables as a possible source?

Yes I have. Not sure how familiar you are with the Nova, but it has this super retarded custom S-Video cable (the one end looks like the old DIN connector from the old PC keyboard days) which I generally used.

I tried using just a regular composite video cable with no luck.

I tried 3 sets of stereo RCA cables for the audio, again no luck; same problem.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
That sounds like a ground loop; possibly caused by your cable TV (possibly something else). Assuming it's not affecting your video quality also (last time I had one, it was causing ripples in the video signal), you can just get a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack or something and it should fix the problem.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Murray said:
That sounds like a ground loop; possibly caused by your cable TV (possibly something else). Assuming it's not affecting your video quality also (last time I had one, it was causing ripples in the video signal), you can just get a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack or something and it should fix the problem.

To confirm this, disconnect the TV cable/antenna input.

I would not be concerned about running with the earth disconnected.

slerch666

updyke,
ttooddddyy said:
To confirm this, disconnect the TV cable/antenna input.

I would not be concerned about running with the earth disconnected.

I've actually connected the Nova to a TV where it was all that was connected to it with the same results.

Why wouldn't you worry about not having the system grounded?