Supergun owners: when was the first time you got a supergun??

THEONEANDONLY

Crazed MVS Addict
Just wondering when was the first time you owned a supergun. For me it was about 4 years ago. I had first heard of the thing in early 2000 when I went to somebody's place who had it. Before that I had no idea you could play JAMMA boards on a TV at home. I got my own about mid 2001. Is there anyone here that has had one since the early 90's? I believe that is when they first went out on the market from what I heard. Anyway when was the first time you owned one?

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
maybe a year ago.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I believe it was '92 when I purchased my 1st Super Gun.
It was manufactured by GAMESGROUP and they retailed for 500 USD. It's design resembles that of a mobile CB with an AV port,two control knobs,two joy ports and two switches on the front panel.It came with one joypad that resembled the genesis model sporting three orange buttons.
I remeber MAS selling the Super Gun with Street Fighter II World Warriors PCB for like 1400 USD or 1000 USD with a Street Fighter II boot.
I purchased my Super Gun from a great place named GAME STUFF.
These units came with cheap encoders that frequently went bad so many of them were returned to retailers including mine.
-BB

ST-V

Geez, couple of years ago (3-4?), reminds me I should be buying more PCB's, I haven't bought anything new for a while!

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I heard about superguns when I joined here by the end of 2001 and got the first one in the beginning of 2002.

C.A.R25

Genjuro's Frog
THEONEANDONLY said:
Just wondering when was the first time you owned a supergun. For me it was about 4 years ago. I had first heard of the thing in early 2000 when I went to somebody's place who had it. Before that I had no idea you could play JAMMA boards on a TV at home. I got my own about mid 2001. Is there anyone here that has had one since the early 90's? I believe that is when they first went out on the market from what I heard. Anyway when was the first time you owned one?

I made my own from scratch 10months ago... not owning anything arcade related at the time (never even used a soldering iron also). Now I will be making another SG that's significantly smaller and more resourceful inside a factory/stock hori joystick.

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Got my first supergun 6 days ago courtesy of D-Lite :buttrock:

Haven't had much opportunity to play it though :(

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I built my first in December 2003/January 2004, and my second in January 2005.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Around 1994 or 1995 for me. I had a Final Fight board. I picked it up from Loot, which is a free ads newspaper. I remember the title of the ad reading "Supergun NTSC", no idea why it was called that seeing as it output via an RGB Scart cable, but hey. It was pretty boxy with a converted Sega Mega Drive pad. I soon got bored of just the one game and went back to consoles. I always wanted a Datel unit though, which I used to check out in the Datel shop on Tottenham Court Road.

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
sort of recently, around December`04.

sigma2rw.jpg

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
BIG BEAR said:
I believe it was '92 when I purchased my 1st Super Gun.
It was manufactured by GAMESGROUP and they retailed for 500 USD. It's design resembles that of a mobile CB with an AV port,two control knobs,two joy ports and two switches on the front panel.It came with one joypad that resembled the genesis model sporting three orange buttons.
I remeber MAS selling the Super Gun with Street Fighter II World Warriors PCB for like 1400 USD or 1000 USD with a Street Fighter II boot.
I purchased my Super Gun from a great place named GAME STUFF.
These units came with cheap encoders that frequently went bad so many of them were returned to retailers including mine.
-BB

My story is similar.

My first experience with one was in 1992, when my friend and I headed down to Die Hard Game Club in Tarzana, CA. They had one for sale, it was homebrew but it did the job. My buddy later on bought the SF-CE kit for $1200 and we proceeded to play it until our fingers bled. Those were the days man...being able to play the real deal at home was nothing short of mind-blowing. Later on we bought a power supply and a JAMMA harness from a local arcade and built an RGB-only model (since J-ROKs or similar hardware were non-existent at the time, least for us internet-free dorks) and hooked it up to a Commodore 1084S.

Once you play around with arcade PCBs and RGB monitors, you can never really go back.
:buttrock:

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
I aquired one in 1990....had about 10 boards...but the damn things were taking up too much room!!....i loved playing carrier airwing though, snow bros, streetfighter turbo, hatris,golden axe, salamander,nemesis.....top stuff....
These days i would just prefer a good quality cabinet....although the latest styles of supergun are way better than they ever were.