Tagging in KOF 2003?

Hi,

A friend of mine told me that you can tag characters in KOF 2003??!

Is this true?!? I haven' t played a KOF since '99 and don't know what things have changed since then..

ALSO What are the general impressions of 2002? I'm thinking of getting it..

Thanks,

David

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
I got KOF02 last night. I haven't played it that much obviously but it seems to be rather good so far. Another Dream Match like 98. Quite fast paced and I like the return to 3 on 3 fighting. I have been really getting into 01 a whole lot recently and this game seems different enough to warrant the purchase, although I don't yet know that I like it more than 01. My only gripe is Takuma, who until last night was my favourite KOF chara. No longer will he hold this title. I have 03, but am holding off from playing it until I get a bit more of 02 under my belt. You can tag in 03 though, I know this.

Temjin

B. Jenet's Firstmate
djspringate said:
Hi,

A friend of mine told me that you can tag characters in KOF 2003??!

Is this true?!? I haven' t played a KOF since '99 and don't know what things have changed since then..

ALSO What are the general impressions of 2002? I'm thinking of getting it..

Thanks,

David

I have only seen movies of KOF2003 in action and it looks to me like they are tagging in characters at will. KOF2003 seems like the best KOF ever!:D
Personally I didnt find KOF2002 that good. Had moore fun with KOF2001, but Im gonna give it a second chance.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
KOF99: Lame Striker System. almost useless completely.

KOF2000: fun striker system. can call striker at anytime. in the middle of a combo, before being attacked (for setting traps) .... etc. some combos are missing
becomes annoying when played by experienced players who can pull 100% combos easily.

KOF2001: Striker system toned down (slighty more useful than in 99). two new gameplay systems interduced:

- cancel system: cancels super moves by desperetion moves, which take 2 power stock in exchange.

- the wire effect attacks: certain moves and super moves cause the opponent to bounce to the wall and fly back toward you, giving you a chance to add an additional attack/s.

the gameplay is faster now. all characters have chain combos now (strong punch --> weak punch or kick --> super move)

KOF2002: Strikers removed completely (3 vs 3 again). 80% of wire effect attacks were removed. cancel system remained intact. gameplay is even a little faster than KOF2001. many chain combos were removed again. feels like a fast KOF98.

KOF2003: each match consist of 1 round only. that means once a character is defeated, the next character directly jumps in and the battle continues WITHOUT stopping. you can change between fighters during a match by pressing B+C or C+D. the character will perform a pose and exit the screen, and the other character comes in. but .... during the pose, if the character was hit by an attack, the tag will be cancelled. so you must becareful before switching between characters. however, there is a new / another tag system, in which you can swtch characters safely, AND A CHANCE TO ADD A FREE COMBO in exchange of one power stock:

with any character, do a [QCF B+C]:

- the game will pause for few mille seconds and a flash effect will appear (similar to DMs)

- the chatacter will perform the regular C+D attacks that were in PRevious KOFs. but this attack will have HIGH PRIORITY over most other attacks, it will be done very very quickly (as soon as you press B+C).

- if the opponent was hit by this attack, s/he will be stunned till the other character comes in, giving him a chance to attack the oppnent with a free combo.

good luck with understanding all that rubbish. sorry but my Engrish sucks and I'm working hard on improving it. I can go on with more detailed info if needed. let me know whick KOF you're interested in hearing more about it.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
k'_127 said:
KOF99: Lame Striker System. almost useless completely.

KOF2000: fun striker system. can call striker at anytime. in the middle of a combo, before being attacked (for setting traps) .... etc. some combos are missing
becomes annoying when played by experienced players who can pull 100% combos easily.

KOF2001: Striker system toned down (slighty more useful than in 99). two new gameplay systems interduced:

- cancel system: cancels super moves by desperetion moves, which take 2 power stock in exchange.

- the wire effect attacks: certain moves and super moves cause the opponent to bounce to the wall and fly back toward you, giving you a chance to add an additional attack/s.

the gameplay is faster now. all characters have chain combos now (strong punch --> weak punch or kick --> super move)

KOF2002: Strikers removed completely (3 vs 3 again). 80% of wire effect attacks were removed. cancel system remained intact. gameplay is even a little faster than KOF2001. many chain combos were removed again. feels like a fast KOF98.

KOF2003: each match consist of 1 round only. that means once a character is defeated, the next character directly jumps in and the battle continues WITHOUT stopping. you can change between fighters during a match by pressing B+C or C+D. the character will perform a pose and exit the screen, and the other character comes in. but .... during the pose, if the character was hit by an attack, the tag will be cancelled. so you must becareful before switching between characters. however, there is a new / another tag system, in which you can swtch characters safely, AND A CHANCE TO ADD A FREE COMBO in exchange of one power stock:

with any character, do a [QCF B+C]:

- the game will pause for few mille seconds and a flash effect will appear (similar to DMs)

- the chatacter will perform the regular C+D attacks that were in PRevious KOFs. but this attack will have HIGH PRIORITY over most other attacks, it will be done very very quickly (as soon as you press B+C).

- if the opponent was hit by this attack, s/he will be stunned till the other character comes in, giving him a chance to attack the oppnent with a free combo.

good luck with understanding all that rubbish. sorry but my Engrish sucks and I'm working hard on improving it. I can go on with more detailed info if needed. let me know whick KOF you're interested in hearing more about it.

I disagree.
Best striker system is 2001 cause of the amount you can have out. You can literally make your own 100%'s if you time em right. Check a 2001 striker vid to see what I mean. 2001 has the most dangerous strikers.

99 is good for pressure. Set up a slow moving strikers from one side of the screen.
Pressure them into your game.

2000: Excellent for active strikers, unlike 2001, it more loose. Lots of damage, very easy to link with.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
I disagree.
Best striker system is 2001 cause of the amount you can have out. You can literally make your own 100%'s if you time em right. Check a 2001 striker vid to see what I mean. 2001 has the most dangerous strikers.

99 is good for pressure. Set up a slow moving strikers from one side of the screen.
Pressure them into your game.

2000: Excellent for active strikers, unlike 2001, it more loose. Lots of damage, very easy to link with.

in 2001, I only use Angel and Xiangfei for strikers and most the striker combos that I use are "near-corner" only. May Lee is another story. but thanks for the correction.

I've seen a lot of 100% striker combos, but I've never thought about using them in actual matches because:

- most of them were "near corner". I hate these.

- most of them need 4 power stocks

- I hate using 1 character and 3 strikers. May Lee sucks. she ruined the game. and she's all you need for a 1 vs 1 match. and it's not fun at all. I use 2 characters for competetive matches only, but I think it's best if you stick with 3 characters - 1 striker. it's the best way to enjoy the game. if only they added 1 power stock for each ratio, this game WILL ROCK (example 3 characters - 1 striker = 3 power stocks).
what was the subject again?

uh and the damage scaling system is an additional reason for me for not using strikers. I would rather save power stocks and stick with simpler combos, but that's how I prefer. I know there are some freaks who pull these crazy combos in actual matches.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
k'_127 said:
in 2001, I only use Angel and Xiangfei as strikers and most the combos that I know are "near-corner" only. May Lee is another story. but thanks for the correction.

I've seen a lot of 100% striker combos, but I've never thought about using them in actual matches because:

- most of them were "near corner". I hate these.

- most of them need 4 power stock

- I hate using 1 character and 3 strikers. May Lee sucks. she ruined the game. and she's all you need for a 1 vs 1 match. and it's not fun at all. I use 2 characters for competetive matches only, but I think it's best if you stick with 3 characters - 1 striker. it's the best way to enjoy the game. if only they added 1 power stock for each ratio, this game WILL ROCK (example 3 characters - 1 striker = 3 power stocks).
what was the subject again?

Hahaha exactly.
Man if I go 1 on 1/2/3/4 I use May or Daimon every time. Once she builds fully I unleash her awful sD qcfB hcbB sc hcbx2B, ABC hcb a qcfx2A DM.
That pretty much fucks you.

Plus her cross up tapping to SDM is very evil.
She was toned down in 2002 though, sad considering all the BS athena has.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
Hahaha exactly.
Man if I go 1 on 1/2/3/4 I use May or Daimon every time. Once she builds fully I unleash her awful sD qcfB hcbB sc hcbx2B, ABC hcb a qcfx2A DM.
That pretty much fucks you.

Plus her cross up tapping to SDM is very evil.
She was toned down in 2002 though, sad considering all the BS athena has.

I added a little bit about the damage scaling in my second post. also, keep in mind that among the latest KOFs (2000 and beyond), 2001 is the least I've played (in arcades that is. probably that's why I like it the most. I still need to learn a lot in it) so I'm really a noob when it comes to 2001. I haven't even learned any of May Lee's 100% combos, but I can pull some nasty stuff with her.

but you know, I feel that May Lee isn't really that bad. think about it. some consider Daimon the most overpowered character in the game. others think it's Iori. Lin is also a maniac. K9999 is almost the same as Yamazaki when comes to setting traps. uh and Benimaru = easy + crazy combos.

I'll reserve my judgment till I play more of it. I'll be getting this game very soon and my friend and I will be kicking the crap out of each others.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
k'_127 said:
I added a little bit about the damage scaling in my second post. also, keep in mind that among the latest KOFs (2000 and beyond), 2001 is the least I've played (in arcades that is. probably that's why I like it the most. I still need to learn a lot in it) so I'm really a noob when it comes to 2001. I haven't even learned any of May Lee's 100% combos, but I can pull some nasty stuff with her.

but you know, I feel that May Lee isn't really that bad. think about it. some consider Daimon the most overpowered character in the game. others think it's Iori. Lin is also a maniac. K9999 is almost the same as Yamazaki when comes to setting traps. uh and Benimaru = easy + crazy combos.

I'll reserve my judgment till I play more of it. I'll be getting this game very soon and my friend and I will be kicking the crap out of each others.

Yeah, well said.
I think its just cause people come in contact with so many people who use the said chars. I like Beni and Iori in 2001 cause they can link there fwd+B's finally. This is good and bad. I like the madness you can do with some chars. I even like may's hero swap INF. Its really easy to do tho.

laurie

Zero's Tailor
Although I love 2001 I hardly ever use strikers, The game ends up like MVC once you call out 2 strikers at once and its just not kof anymore, I appreciate that a lot of the 100% striker combos are hard to do but once you've done them in practice there pretty much useless, Like K'_127 said a lot of them need 4 power stocks so could never be used in a tourney.
For the topic starter, If your new to kof I wouldn't go for 2003, the timing is pretty hard compared to other kofs, and buffering is nearly gone.
I say go for 2001 for fun or 98 or 2002 for serious play ( if you can call it that)

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
yes there is tagging in 2k3 and theres some decent depth to it

2k2 is pretty good it has a junk load of characters and if you get the DC or ps2 version it has even more such as shingo king geese goenitz and riot iori. The gameplay is more lacking compared to 98 IMO. Also the Backrounds and music seem very half assed and sort leaves you dissapointed. Though this should not discourage from playing it becaue its still LOTS of fun