Taito F3 video problem & questions

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Hi,

I recently picked up a Taito F3 mobo with a couple of games and, although it plays great, I'm having a couple of issues and doubts.

The image on screen seems to be displaced to the right, leaving a black column to the left. I don't think it's a monitor problem, since I'm using this on the same cabinet I use all my other systems (MVS, STV, CPS2 etc.) and none of them have this problem. (pics attatched)

pb4.jpg
crosstest.jpg

Also, when I turn on the cab, before I get any image on screen, the board makes a high pitch noise for a very short time (then the wait screen comes). After that, the sound works fine. Is this a normal thing in F3?

Finally, I'd like to know which is the normal or default position (if there's any) of the voltage control of the mobo. I've seen some other F3 mobos which have it locked with some glue over it, but mine came without it and I don't know if it is in the "best" position... (I'm not even sure why the mobo has it's own voltage control, but I'm afraid to play with it since the warning sticker says it can be harmful for the board if set incorrectly). (pic attatched)

switch.jpg

Any other F3 users out there who can help?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Oh yea,don't mess with that knob..
This is another 4 pin connector. Also note above the pot marked "VR1" That is NOT a volume control. It is used to adjust the voltage at the PCB. Don't mess with it or you will screw the PCB up.
http://www.hardmvs.com/F3/F3tech.htm

http://www.hardmvs.com/F3/F3main.htm

I don't have my F-3 Boards anymore but...
It worked fine in all my MVS cabs except my MVS Candy Cab..The screen had to be adjusted everytime I would plug either F3 board in/If I readjusted the monitor back for MVS....I didn't have to do that in my US MVS cabs or a regular Jamma cab..
STV, CPS2 and MVS all were fine in the Candy cab..only the F-3's needed for me to adjust the monitor..(that= two F-3 boards that did the same thing)
So IMO you need to find the adjustment that moves the screen over to the left.

I have never heard a high pitched noise from the PCB though...I'd check for a blown cap.....I may have heard a high pitch from the speakers in the cab when plugging it in though..

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100522&highlight=Taito

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Thanks for the info Chris,

Too bad about the screen displacement, I guess it's just the same case as you had with your candy cab... still, I wonder what may be causing this to happen with F3 systems and certain monitors?

I was a little bit paranoid with the board's voltage adjustment, since I didn't know if the previous owner had messed with it... but it seems from the picture in HardMVS that it's more or less in the same position, so I guess it must be OK.

BTW, did you sell your F3 boards?
I'm having quite fun playing Land Maker, but PB4 isn't really my cup of tea... I think I should have got PB2X instead.
Any game recommendations?

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
screen displacement

On my F3 board i had to adjust the screen position to centralise it, so this is normal and no need to worry.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
[OCEAN] said:
Thanks for the info Chris,

Too bad about the screen displacement, I guess it's just the same case as you had with your candy cab... still, I wonder what may be causing this to happen with F3 systems and certain monitors?

I was a little bit paranoid with the board's voltage adjustment, since I didn't know if the previous owner had messed with it... but it seems from the picture in HardMVS that it's more or less in the same position, so I guess it must be OK.

BTW, did you sell your F3 boards?
I'm having quite fun playing Land Maker, but PB4 isn't really my cup of tea... I think I should have got PB2X instead.
Any game recommendations?

Yea,I sold them,and my STV collection plus all my CPS2,PGM stuff....I bought all the F3 PBs for my wife,she blew through them and never touched them again..I then got Bam2 for the MVS so the F3 PBs just never got played...I would play it for Elevator Action II..my favorite game,but once playing through it a few times it sat too..

I got tired of adjusting,plugging the boards in and out and just stayed with MVS now..No one playes anything,my friends Suck..