Taking a pet on a plane?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I find that a $7.50 sedative in the form of a drink on the plane is really good for humans too.

Makes the trip so much less stressful.

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
He IS an anxious cat though, and I've done a fair bit of flying and don't think I have ever seen anyone carry a pet on as hand luggage. So what do we do?

We are moving to Sapporo!

Well, all I can say is that every major carrier in the USA that I have flown on allows a pet to be brought on board on a domestic flight as long as the pet is under 12 or so pounds and can fit in a carrier that can fit under the seat. I would find it hard to believe that Japanese carriers do not offer this for domestic flights. However, most carriers do not allow pets to be carried on board for international flights.

My advice to you is to call the carrier and ask. Personally, I would never put my dogs in cargo because who knows what happens to them when they are out of your sight. Also, if you do decide to put your pet in cargo, I highly recommend against sedating the pet as it is extremely dangerous. I had this conversation with my vet (who is excellent) and that is the advice which was given to me.

Sapporo is awesome. Food is incredible. Too bad you missed the Yuki-Matsuri by 2 months. I saw it once in person and it is awesome. Did you get transferred for work?

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Well, all I can say is that every major carrier in the USA that I have flown on allows a pet to be brought on board on a domestic flight as long as the pet is under 12 or so pounds and can fit in a carrier that can fit under the seat. I would find it hard to believe that Japanese carriers do not offer this for domestic flights. However, most carriers do not allow pets to be carried on board for international flights.

My advice to you is to call the carrier and ask. Personally, I would never put my dogs in cargo because who knows what happens to them when they are out of your sight. Also, if you do decide to put your pet in cargo, I highly recommend against sedating the pet as it is extremely dangerous. I had this conversation with my vet (who is excellent) and that is the advice which was given to me.

Sapporo is awesome. Food is incredible. Too bad you missed the Yuki-Matsuri by 2 months. I saw it once in person and it is awesome. Did you get transferred for work?

Just found this.

JAL:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Japan_Airlines/pets.php

ANA:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/ANA/pets.php

Looks like JAL allows pets in cabin but ANA does not. Definitely want to call and confirm.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Failing all else, you can consult with your vet to see about light sedation or anti-anxiety medication to keep the cat relaxed for the duration of the trip. Cats can handle Valium in extremely low doses, for example. Of course, check with your vet first. S/he would be loopy and woozy for a while after (looks like falling-over drunk), but it's nothing to be concerned about.