The Best Job You've Ever Had

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
Most of the ones I've had so far make me want to shove a shotgun in my mouth. I need to find a good balance of being able to afford to live versus not wanting to paint the walls with my brains. How do doctors do it, anyway? To me, the thought of a new car and a house in the 'burbs doesn't outweigh living through the dual hells of medical school plus actually having to be a doctor

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
They all sucked and I'm in a constant state of depression because of my current one.
Awesome.

Marek

Banned
MV5BMTY4ODgwMTMwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjkyODk2._V1._SX450_SY298_.jpg

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
i thought everyone was either wealthy or unemployed?

:spock:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
My current job (making fireworks) is great, it truly is the best I ever had.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
The times I don't fantasize about dying in a car wreck on the way to work are becoming few and far between these days, ugh :(

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Security guard at an empty building.
I would bring my guitar, amp, and pedals to work everyday. It's how I learned how to play guitar.
I also fucked a trainee there one time. Good times.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
Telecommunications Contractor.
I'm still doing it. I work outdoors normally, but I work at my own pace. I don't get paid by the hour. I get paid by how many jobs I complete.

When you work for yourself, you only have yourself to blame for things. Generally speaking I get paid $80-110 per job. I average about 5-6 jobs a day. Sometimes 7-8 on a good day. Sounds like a lot of money, but it's a business. There are running costs, insurances to pay etc.

In my opinion the pros outweigh the cons. Last year I decided to buy a cafe and run it for most of the year. I couldn't wait to get back outdoors. Retail and customer service is just fucked, it's not for me. I still own the cafe but there's no profit so I'll probably try to sell it at the end of the year.

I feel that contracting wether you buy yourself a truck and deliver the bread/milk, or you deliver parcels, tow cars etc is worthwhile pursuing.

buster_broon

The Rock,
still doing my first and only job in my adult life

might all be coming to an end in October though due to medical reasons

but its all good - change of vocation is good me thinks

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Telecommunications trainee, working for a small business. Only been there a month now but it's quite honestly the best job I've had thus far. Totally in my niche in this job, running cat5/6, setting up phone systems for for businesses. Interesting stuff and the pay is only a tad lower than my previous job, makes it very easy to be an apprentice.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
i work at Whole Foods

definitely the best company i've ever worked for

they do a lot of things that really incentivize the individual to work hard and be healthy (ex: i get a 30% discount for perfect cholesterol, blood pressure, and BMI)

outside of loving the store because i'm a health nut, they've rewarded me quite well for busting my ass there

i have the opportunity to move up quickly and make some decent money

got moved into an entry-level management position after a year and definitely won't have any trouble moving up further

only thing holding me back is that to move up, you have to store hop a lot and i love where i currently am (lot of good friends and close to home)

Last edited:

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
My current job is the best I've ever had, and the pay is decent. We make .90nm 200mm wafers, or rather I should say the tools/machines make the wafers, my job is to baby sit said machines. Load/unload problems are rare, tool qualifications simple, malfunctions uncommon. Most of the night I just sit here on the internet posting in forums and reading. That is the one down side however, I work nights. I'm not talking about 2nd or even 3rd shift, my start time is 7pm and my finish time is 7am, 12 hours a night 4 days a week. My friends will bitch to me about how they had such a long day. Yea 9am to 5pm... Oh 8 hours in the middle of the day, must be very hard on you. :P

matrimelee

Hardened Shock Trooper
My current job is the best I've ever had, and the pay is decent. We make .90nm 200mm wafers, or rather I should say the tools/machines make the wafers, my job is to baby sit said machines. Load/unload problems are rare, tool qualifications simple, malfunctions uncommon. Most of the night I just sit here on the internet posting in forums and reading. That is the one down side however, I work nights. I'm not talking about 2nd or even 3rd shift, my start time is 7pm and my finish time is 7am, 12 hours a night 4 days a week. My friends will bitch to me about how they had such a long day. Yea 9am to 5pm... Oh 8 hours in the middle of the day, must be very hard on you. :P

I generally have to work the exact same shift and I get the exact same shit from friends and family. I'll get questions about why I couldn't drop by, or do some favor, or what-not. I wind up questioning if the folks around me truly understand there are only 24 hours in a day, it doesn't just warp around them to their will.

Respect, my brother.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Best Job: Probably my current job working for an undisclosed part of the US .gov.

Out of a 40 hour week, I might on average work a total of 2 to 3 hours. I spend most of my time trolling the forums and watching downloaded TV shows and movies.

I work terribly hard at doing pretty much nothing.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Best Job: Probably my current job working for an undisclosed part of the US .gov.

Out of a 40 hour week, I might on average work a total of 2 to 3 hours. I spend most of my time trolling the forums and watching downloaded TV shows and movies.

our tax dollars hard at work, i see?

my current job is the best i have ever had.

i toiled away playing my dues in my business and it is just starting to pay off for me now.

my new company pays me well, utilized the skills i have learned, and my boss is great- he leaves me alone to do my thing and we are there for each other when one of us needs help. on top of that my personal stock in my industry is a an all time high and i am starting to get the recognition i have been looking for for the last 7 years. .

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member

Is it the DMV? :p

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
The job market for me is totally fucked right now for a variety of reasons. Maybe once I'm behind a computer I'll go into details. In fact I'm on the job hunt again, which will make the fourth one this year alone.

My best one was no picnic, either. I worked at Target for a few years- made decent (for retail) money, which was my downfall. New management comes in, sees I was making more than some supervisors, and starts to force me out. Went from around 50 hours a week (M-F, 8-'til) in electronics to training my replacement, getting kicked out my deparment for the silliest reasons and working whatever days and hours they gave me. The second to last week I went from five days a week to fucking two. I come in and the manager that makes the schedule played dumb- "you shoulda said something!" Since that was the money I needed to live I bolted.

TL;DR: Stay in college. Even if you're a film major.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I currently work 20 hours a week and make enough money that I still haven't touched my paychecks from the beginning of July and August. Not to mention the complete lack of stress. And holy shit I'm actually happy. How many people can say that, truly?

I don't think I'll ever move back.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Flying globally to train governments and military on proprietary software. Did it for 3 years. Man, I've got some stories. Anyway, the fam couldn't hang with my travel anymore, so now I'm a Network Admin for a $1.6 Billion Credit Union. Home every night, but I still miss traveling sometimes.