The decline in Neo Geo auctions

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
I cant speak for everyones experiances but I hardly ever find neo stuff up for actual auction anymore most places I used to frequent for retro (now neo) are now full of "Buy it now" or equivilant set prices. With consoles like the NES this is less of an occurance but for the neo its gotten really bad.
Go to ebay UK for example and search for "neo geo" faily generic term, great 760 results in video games for neo geo! select auctions only.... 8? WTF just above 1% are auctions...

Does anyone have any places that still activly have AUCTIONS for neo stuff? (I know yahoo jp does but I have never used it and am a bit dubious about trying)

I guess people are just using the net to find out a bit more about things before they sell them now and get a price they want in their head based off what they find, and while the trading forum here does have good offers from time to time and people are willing to bend a bit on prices ebay and the other sites I used to freqent are really getting on my tits...

I guess this is a semi rant but I LIKE auctions I like sniping bids out from people... Its just depressing me... Also if there were more auctions on ebay then the ebay WTF thread would be considerably smaller I think.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
I guess people dont want to get next to nothing for their stuff these days, as you say most folk now realise the value of neo stuff or check it out first rather than just sticking it on and getting £5 for a game :)

Izsomean

Quiz Detective
When selling games that have little value, no way i'm using the auction system. That's how you end up selling your world heroes/samsho/aof/supersidekicks games for 6€ :rolleyes: when the BIN can make you sell it for 15€...

For games that are more uncommon then yeah i'll be more tempted to put them for an auction, because they might go for higher prices than the price guide says :emb:

ghibben

Zero's Secretary
Neo Geo is a niche market. Some people who listed auctions learned that the hard way. Not too long ago I was watching a bunch of items starting at a dollar from a seller, but forgot to check before they closed. An NGPC Slimline closed at about $20, a mint Super Real Mahjong with poster closed at $12, NGPC Metal Slug 1 and 2 both complete and mint less than $20 and it went on like that.

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
I guess people dont want to get next to nothing for their stuff these days, as you say most folk now realise the value of neo stuff or check it out first rather than just sticking it on and getting £5 for a game :)

Yea I guess... that and about 200 of the neo Items on ebay UK are yours lol :mr_t:

I know set prices means less people getting ripped off but damit I want stuff cheap. I was happy about the guy auctioning off magical drop 2/neo mr do/over top the other day even though some bugger got overtop from me at the last second :(

Last edited:

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
In my opinion, even if on ebay there aren't many auctions, most of the time is still cheaper than buying here on the forum (for the little comparation I could make in the last couple of weeks). But yeah, the market on ebay is declining (also for sellers.. I auctioned more than 15 carts in the last two weeks, and almost all of them went for 10/15$... still better than keeping them sitting here next to me for ages) and I hardly buy any game there.
Luckily I'm in Japanand and have access to real shops (still its becoming every day harder to find decent neo titles around) + yahoo auction

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
ebay buyers are retarded. I like how you see auctions all the time for Art of Fighting MVS end with 1 bid at 99 cents and then see some buy it now auctions for the same game end at $30, WTF? Especially when there are more auctions for AOF still up for way less money and in the same conditiion.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
I just scored Bust A Move Again, Last Resort and Metal Slug 5 from ebay for 135 shipped.

So, yeah.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
This isn't limited to just neo stuff. Since it only costs 5 cents to list games for 30 days people figure why not use a BIN, especially if they are not in a big hurry to sell the item.

For media items, ebay has shifted their focus to more back end fees than up front. Which I actually prefer. Yea, you get reamed by fees once it sells, but at least it sold. Back several years ago you would pay more upfront to list media items.

To list 100 games BIN it currently only costs me 5.00 a month. Back before fixed listings I would of spent anywhere between 35.00 to 80.00 to list the same games for only a week if I started the auctions at equivalent prices with a BIN listing upgrade.

On the flip side, FVF were around 5% for a media item in 2005 and now 15% (for the first $50.00).

Hit Man X

n00b
Ebay has improved vastly in safety/security for people to a point, but has really taken a turn for the worse lately since I have been a member (July 1997!). Their greed has taken over and the place is just an online classified site.

When I have stuff to sell I advertise it on message forums first, then Craigslist (while perusing the W4M section ;)), if it will not sell at either of those places... I will just trash it or donate it to Goodwill/Salvation Army. I have not sold on ebay in years due to their fees and scamartist members. THEN you are hit with Paypal fees if you want to be protected there too. So you could end up selling something for $50 and by the time you have it boxed up, shipped, delivered with insurance and a signature confirmation, you can end up with $15 for all that hassle. :wank: I will just take a tax write off from Goodwill. :tickled:

Being sniped is stupid. Has anyone out in NG land been to a real auction? Where you bid with cash? It is a 'going, going, gone' deal. I have bought distressed homes, vehicles, boats, household goods from estate auctions, etc in this manner. Hell even gunbroker.com uses 'going, going, gone'.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?faqid=1036

NOW, that does not mean I do not check feebay for deals... they are out there if you know how to shop and what to look for, yet always bear in mind... caveat emptor

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Yea I guess... that and about 200 of the neo Items on ebay UK are yours lol :mr_t:

I know set prices means less people getting ripped off but damit I want stuff cheap. I was happy about the guy auctioning off magical drop 2/neo mr do/over top the other day even though some bugger got overtop from me at the last second :(

;) Yip, i would do more auctions and sell tons more stuff but dont really fancy getting £20 for my Striker 1045 + :p. I guess it's about risk, if you just want shot of the stuff your not too bothered, if your trying to make a wee bit it's not worth it :scratch:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If there was a video game dedicated auction site then it would be easier to get more money for your items once it's been established.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
It definitely wasn't boots. The seller was not happy about how low they went, and made it known to me.

Grandmaster B

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Interesting to read the diffferent points of views of buyers and sellers.

I guess as time goes on, sellers will have to look harder in order to find the person willing to pay for collectors' value. In turn, buyers are not likely to make a good deal on a game because there happens to be low competition in a auction.

Izsomean

Quiz Detective
It definitely wasn't boots. The seller was not happy about how low they went, and made it known to me.

Was he selling them as a bundle? If so he has nothing to complain about, you always take a hit when selling games in a pack.

DavidG

I find it funny when I see a poor condition SS1 on ebay cart only for $99 buy it now :lolz:. It might be old but half the stuff on ebay will never move. I think over time they will get the picture and offer a buy it now with best offer.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
In my own experience: I have been working on a CMVS for 2 weeks, from monday to sunday, from saving the mv1c from being trashed by an operator to cleaning-repairing-unibiosing-testing it, and a long list of mods that you all know (even designed a enclosure)... hard work.
And I am very afraid to sell it on ebay. Certainly ebay protects the seller, but if I put it on auction (remember the max. time is 10 days), possibly not much people will see it (people have lives, occupations...) and the more people sees your item, the more chances you get the right buyer arrives. In this niche market I have learned that it is matter of patience. Only 10 days of auction is killing chances, imho.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
BTW: if you are unemployed (as me) you look for every penny you can earn.

alpha84

n00b
yeah ebay sucks ass! fees here and there taking a chunk of money out of the final price

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
If there was a video game dedicated auction site then it would be easier to get more money for your items once it's been established.

There did used to be one in the UK - http://www.videogameauctions.co.uk
unfortunately not many people used it and it closed down. That again is probably down to eBay and them not advertising enough...

yeah ebay sucks ass! fees here and there taking a chunk of money out of the final price

Sounds like you are talking as a seller... I do agree that eBay taking money and then Paypal doing the same does take the piss. Unfortunately this is forcing sellers to do BIN sales. But as a buyer, you can get some real bargains, there is just the worry with Neo games especially that it could be a boot.

eBay are getting greedy and hopefully it will come back to bit them. I used to search and buy all the time, I just don't bother as much anymore as the auctions are few and far between. But just last week I managed to get a load of Neo CD games for £1 each, the bargains are out there you just have to be patient and they come.

Seeing as eBay now charge to schedule a listing, they should make Sundays a free listing day every week. Try and encourage more private auctions.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
There was a thread on the same type of issue but covering all of the older gaming stuff and the real cause is the economy taking a shit and now people need to prioritize what they spend money on. When you need to divide what little money you have between food, gas, power, medicine... somehow Neo Geo carts from 10-20 just don't matter as much.

The heavy collectors are still out there but even some of them are rethinking what is important or even worse, having to sell off games that they treasured & enjyed t keep everything important straight. Hobbies are going to be the LAST THING to recover from this hit that we all took on our quality of living & wealth (though if you're a multi-millionaire or billionaire, you're doing better than ever!)

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Egay/gaypal are examples of shithouse organisations wihch only continue to be in business because there's no feasible alternative. Reminds me of Foxtel.