The "First Blood" Thread

Judge Dredd

Administrator
Staff member
Rambo is now my favorite action film of all time.

I'd heard the film was good - but fucking A man. Damn, i didn't know it was this good.

Rambo kicks the shit out of anything Dutch does in Predator (now my #2 action film).

I wont even lie. I cried at the end when Rambo breaks down, screaming about coming back to the world and how he couldn't even hold down a fucking job.

Thats powerful shit right there.

Great post-vietnam action film with some serious shit to think about.

Great ending too.

lol @ David Caruso.

"I FOUGHT THE MOD AND THE MOD WON."

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
No shit, First Blood is a really amazing film. I've grown to respect Stallone more than I used to going back and rewatching films as I was older. I mean yeah, he still made Cliffhanger, but shit, First Blood really is so much more than just the blow-'em-up action movie most people think it is.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I'm not going to be one of those assholes that'll usually pop in the thread and tell you to read the book because it's so much better than the movie. I love the movie, however I would definitely read the book as well. It's a lot darker imo.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Rambo is now my favorite action film of all time.

I'd heard the film was good - but fucking A man. Damn, i didn't know it was this good.

Rambo kicks the shit out of anything Dutch does in Predator (now my #2 action film).

I wont even lie. I cried at the end when Rambo breaks down, screaming about coming back to the world and how he couldn't even hold down a fucking job.

Thats powerful shit right there.

Great post-vietnam action film with some serious shit to think about.

Great ending too.

lol @ David Caruso.
Not to nitpick, but... Okay, it's nitpicking. That's not 'Rambo;' it's 'First Blood.' "Rambo" is First Blood part 2. But yeah, it's an excellent movie. I keep meaning to read the book to see how the ending is different.

There was a guy at my old job (in an office) who occasionally would yell, "Nothing is over! NOTHING! You just don't turn it off!" Which would always crack both of us up because yelling in an office is funny, and because Stallone flubbed the line by transposing "just" and "don't."

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Not to nitpick, but... Okay, it's nitpicking. That's not 'Rambo;' it's 'First Blood.' "Rambo" is First Blood part 2. But yeah, it's an excellent movie. I keep meaning to read the book to see how the ending is different.

There was a guy at my old job (in an office) who occasionally would yell, "Nothing is over! NOTHING! You just don't turn it off!" Which would always crack both of us up because yelling in an office is funny, and because Stallone flubbed the line by transposing "just" and "don't."

Word.

My Rambo-Fu is weak.

I shall now only refer to it by its proper title, First Blood (though i'm pretty sure the dvd says RAMBO on it).

Fucking killer movie.

Maybe have to check the book out.

Best action movie ever where only 1 person dies.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
Word.

My Rambo-Fu is weak.

I shall now only refer to it by its proper title, First Blood (though i'm pretty sure the dvd says RAMBO on it).

Fucking killer movie.

Maybe have to check the book out.

Best action movie ever where only 1 person dies.

WTF? You had never seen this before? Lame, but better late than never.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
WTF? You had never seen this before? Lame, but better late than never.

Pretty sure i've seen rambo 2 or 3 but it's been awhile. I just watched 4.

4 was alright.

Made me want to see someone make an action movie that was just about MERCS though.

Rambo 4 pleased me because lots of people got cut and stabbed.

Not sure anything can top First Blood though.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
lol first blood part 2 :emb:

Listen, the first movie is awesome. The rest are clearly cash-in films designed for audiences to have a good time.

Just like every Planet of the Apes film after the first.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I need to buy First Blood.

I still also need to buy Dirty Harry and Magnum Force too.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member

Oh shit, my favorite icon smiley is gone. God damn it! It was the little green guy that looked disgusted. I guess it was replaced by this fucking thing: :envy:

Not even sort of the emotion I'm going for.

EDIT: Well, that's odd...when you use it, it's looks like it used to, but to select it you have to pick that weird one. Sorry, I'm fucking your fine war room thread up with my nonsense.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Oh shit, my favorite icon smiley is gone. God damn it! It was the little green guy that looked disgusted. I guess it was replaced by this fucking thing: :envy:

Not even sort of the emotion I'm going for.

:kekeke: was the greatest emoticon of all time

why do we still have garbage like this:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I need to buy First Blood.

I still also need to buy Dirty Harry and Magnum Force too.
Be careful when you buy it... there are different versions floating around with different features, and they're all called things like 'Ultimate Edition' and 'Special Edition' and 'Super Deluxe' or something, and one is better than the others, and I can't remember which it was. One version has commentary by the writer and the other version has Stallone commentary -- AND -- amazon mixes the reviews up so it's impossible to tell which is which.

Okay, I checked mine, and I have the "Ultimate" (blue stripe at the top, as if it was trying to be blu-ray), which has the Stallone commentary. I guess it's the "Special" edition (that costs $5 more) that has the novelist's commentary and the other special features.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Be careful when you buy it... there are different versions floating around with different features, and they're all called things like 'Ultimate Edition' and 'Special Edition' and 'Super Deluxe' or something, and one is better than the others, and I can't remember which it was. One version has commentary by the writer and the other version has Stallone commentary -- AND -- amazon mixes the reviews up so it's impossible to tell which is which.

Okay, I checked mine, and I have the "Ultimate" (blue stripe at the top, as if it was trying to be blu-ray), which has the Stallone commentary. I guess it's the "Special" edition (that costs $5 more) that has the novelist's commentary and the other special features.

Which version do you reccomend?

Does the "Special" edition also have the Stallone commentary?

The one thing i've always hated about dvd is how there will be 5 different version of one film. ANNOYING.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Which version do you reccomend?

Does the "Special" edition also have the Stallone commentary?

The one thing i've always hated about dvd is how there will be 5 different version of one film. ANNOYING.
No, I think the Special edition only has the writer's commentary. I think since they sell for about $8-$12 each, they're trying to get you to collect them all. I actually enjoyed Stallone's commentary a lot, and to be honest, I've debated more than once whether to get the other version also, to hear the writer talk.

Other than the Stallone commentary, the features on the Ultimate edition are pretty garbage, but I've never watched the Special edition, so I can't really make a clear recommendation.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Oh hell yes FB is fucking great on many levels.

When I was a kid I didn't care for it because I couldn't fully appreciate it. Over the years I have grown to really respect it.

As a matter of fact I just picked it up on Laserdisc a couple weeks ago.

Also Brian Denehy is a great villian.

Also x2 I predict merc to post in this thread.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
No, I think the Special edition only has the writer's commentary. I think since they sell for about $8-$12 each, they're trying to get you to collect them all. I actually enjoyed Stallone's commentary a lot, and to be honest, I've debated more than once whether to get the other version also, to hear the writer talk.

Other than the Stallone commentary, the features on the Ultimate edition are pretty garbage, but I've never watched the Special edition, so I can't really make a clear recommendation.

i think the version i rented is stallone commentary

who cares though, special features are mostly lame, though i do appreciate a good commentary

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
God almighty stop posting this shit in the war room you dumb bastard.

It makes me want to throttle the life out of your lungs.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, I love commentary. I love things like Bond films, where you sometimes get multiple commentary tracks. I can watch some movies 3 times in a row (as background noise as I work) listening to commentary tracks. I think my favorites may be some of the John Carpenter stuff, although when he gets together with Kurt Russel, they go off on long tangents about random non-movie subjects.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
God almighty stop posting this shit in the war room you dumb bastard.

It makes me want to throttle the life out of your lungs.

Make your own First Blood thread in Unrelated :emb:

Besides, I like the folk who come to the War Room.

Everyone else is boring.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, I love commentary. I love things like Bond films, where you sometimes get multiple commentary tracks. I can watch some movies 3 times in a row (as background noise as I work) listening to commentary tracks. I think my favorites may be some of the John Carpenter stuff, although when he gets together with Kurt Russel, they go off on long tangents about random non-movie subjects.

Commentary made too long after the original can sometimes suck though.

Like the commentary on the seinfield dvds is pretty lame.

The stuff on Arrested Development and the Office is pretty good though.

Predator has some good special features, ok well the documentary is ok. Has a real funny story about a prank Arnold pulled on Jesse. Lulz.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Right, now that we're on the subject of fucked up, GREEDY release schedules of 'special editions' and Rambo, this is something you all should know:

Sylvester Stallone's Rambo-- the fourth onscreen bloodbath starring his iconic titular character -- is out on DVD this week. But before you count your pennies and head to the video store, be warned; he's already planning a director's cut. He said as much to Jay Leno, so it must be true. We say give Rambo a rental, but wait to buy Sly's cut (entitled John Rambo) from which all the proceeds might go to the people of Burma.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/john_rambo/news/1730550/

Ugh, and Rambo IV's on sale at Target for like $16...