The one game that beat you into submission.

Jesterzzn

Marked Wolf
We all have one. One game that more than all the others chewed you up and spit you out. Maybe you eventually got pretty good at it. Maybe you eventually got damn good at it. But no matter how much you tried, you never got as good at it as you wanted...

And you gave up.

For me, it was Ninja Gaiden (Arcade version obviously). I got so good at it I could complete almost the whole game on one credit. Almost. I never did it. I must have played that game several hundred times over a summer or two at the arcade, and when they upped it to two quarters, I gave up for good.

I recently tracked it down and put it in my cab, but its just not the same without the button on the joystick. Maybe I'll set that up one day.

Last edited:

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
tony hawks pro skater 2.

I can get all tapes in each level in one go, except for one or two levels, damn!

bendor

Fio's Quartermaster
Arkanoid: Revenge of Doh. get to the last boss and can't beat him no matter how many credits i put in. it's really sad because i play it less knowing i can't beat it. i'll play the metal slugs all the time cause anyone can beat those but the challenge is using as few credits as possible. but starting a level over because you died and the boss has the same amout of "health" as before is disheartening.

typing this has stoked a fire and i'm gonna try again to beat Arkanoid:RoD in the next couple days

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
In the arcade it was Gunsmoke. Made me so frustrated.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
In the arcade it was Gunsmoke. Made me so frustrated.

Yeah, that is ill....

I play the 60-1 all the time with all the other games turned off (to allow for a continue).

Man, I'll have a "Great Run" but that dude with the fireballs.... jesus...

Eventually, I run out of Boots/Rifles/Shells. and can't keep going....

Kudos for cap com for making a continue game in which you can't just keep popping quarters.
But they made it way to fucking hard at the same time.

There are so many games that kicked my ass in the arcade, including every Japanese insanity SHMUPs However, one game that always comes to mind is Art of Fighting 2. Both on MVS and AES. I have never seen anyone make it to Geese.