The pipe smoking thread

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
what pipes do you smoke, favorite brands of tobacco, packing and lighting techniques?

I smoke Ashton "Smooth Sailing" out of a Dunhill billiard. here's a pic of my pipe
gaos.jpg

and my favorite blend so far

ss50.jpg

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've always found that Port flavoured tobacco was the best, very smooth.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Used to go to Rite Aid when I was 12 and steal pipes to smoke weed out of...

We got our screens from the plumbing section of K-Mart.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Used to go to Rite Aid when I was 12 and steal pipes to smoke weed out of...

We got our screens from the plumbing section of K-Mart.

I've seen people pull them out of a kitchen sink.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I've seen people pull them out of a kitchen sink.

...or from pool filters. I received a homemade pipe as a gift from some buddies in high school and it was made from PVC and the screen was from a pool filter. lol

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
Damn, fucking druggies.

Oh and "Smenge" if that's what you are into, I would suggest staying out of airport bathrooms.

ShmengeTravel

Mature's Make-up Artist
That's not what I'm into, I'm just not surprised to find a thread about "pipe smoking" here.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Anyone have a hookah?

I've heard from quite a few people who don't smoke cigarettes at all that they found it to be quite an enjoyable experience.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I don't own one myself but we have a lot of hookah cafés over here so I smoke one from time to time. It's quite nice, even though I don't like most of the over-flavored tobaccos that seem to be all the rage at the mo, you know, apple, peach, cocos, etc. My fave hookah tobacco is the traditional stuff with a bit of rose flavor.

My nephew has a huge gastro-style hookah (not the cheap imitation shit you can buy at small Turkish/Arab stores) which he brings over once or twice a month. Well, it's cool and all but I wouldn't buy one myself. Keeping them clean isn't exactly fun, you know, and overall I prefer pure tobacco in pipes and cigars over that hookah "mud" with glycol and (sometimes) artificial flavors any day of the week.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This might be a pretty stupid question, but do pipes have some sort of filter?

Does this tobacco have all the added chemicals that factory cigarettes have? Nicotine is part of the plant but theres the rest of the added chemicals that's stopped me from smoking too many.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
There are pipes with bore holes big enough to hold a standard active coal filter which eliminates most of the tars but many pipe smokers prefer filterless variants because filters have an impact on taste. The pipe I've linked to in my previous post is of the filterless variety.

Pipe and cigar tobacco normally produces less tars than cigarette tobacco. This is due to the longer fermentation of pipe tobacco which eliminates a lot of the nasty stuff but of course smoking it isn't the best thing you can do to your lungs and heart... still, health-wise pipe and cigar smokers are better off because they don't inhale, at least they shouldn't if they want to really enjoy the fine tobacco flavors which get killed by inhaling the smoke. Slow puffing is the way to go.

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
This might be a pretty stupid question, but do pipes have some sort of filter?

Does this tobacco have all the added chemicals that factory cigarettes have? Nicotine is part of the plant but theres the rest of the added chemicals that's stopped me from smoking too many.

some pipes have filters, but they make everything taste bitter and generally ass like. most people just throw them away and smoke them straight. oh and before you ask, a good packing job will keep the tobacco from traveling down the stem.

A good, non-drugstore blend of tobacco is generally free of the chemicals found in cigarettes.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Interesting that this thread popped up, I had been thinking about getting a pipe forever and my local tobbacoist (which doesn't say much since I've previously only smoked about a dozen cigars) had all pipes on sales 25% off. Got a pretty nice pipe for about 60 bucks. I'll make sure to get a pic up later.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Pipe smoking is so relaxing, I really love it. I don't light up too often, about once or twice a month, that's why I tried to find better tobacco than the run-of-the-mill Danish-style flavored variety or that cheap crap you can buy by the pound for less, many of which leave a smell of horse manure behind and are too moist.

In short, I'm a follower of the English style, both in terms of pipes and tobacco. Took me years to find my current favorite Asthon Old Pebble Cut, thankfully most tobacconists and online shops offer samples so there will always be something new to try out. IMO that's the best part of pipe (and cigar) smoking.

Speaking of different styles, it's recommended to use different pipes for flavored and natural tobacco, mixing it may lead to unpleasant experiences.

Of course a good pipe should only be smoked once a day and then left to cool down, otherwise it may crack and/or the protective coal layer in the head may loosen which leads to a burn-out in less than a year. Good "pipe hygiene" is a must, always clean that thing after smoking but don't scratch out the coal.

For a beginner, it's recommended to buy one of those ready-to-go pipes, you only have to fill in some tobacco and you're read to light up while high-quality pipes come fresh off the pipemaker's workbench and have to be "smoked in", there also are special tobacco mixtures that may be helpful here. The idea behind this procedure is to create a layer of pitch-black coal in the pipe head that protects the wood from burning out. Your fave tobacconist will give you some tips here.

Oh, and don't waste too much money on your first pipe, around $50 is okay for a beginner pack with pipe, filters, cleaners and tamper. Later on you may or may not fall prey to the pipe collecting virus which may be more expensive than buying homecarts, so beware, this shit will drain your account faster than a girl on a shopping spree... :D

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Nice post Tak.

Here is my pipe.

A Peterson Kenmare Pipe #05

PICT0095.jpg

I noticed both you and strider have straight pipes, I found the drop stem (or whatever this style is actually called) to sit a little better in my mouth with the weight lower and not so far out making it feel more comfortable.

Smoked it twice so far. Loving it, so much lighter than cigar smoking (with the right tobacco at least) the draw is so easy and you still get a mouthful of flavor with feeling like you've completely licked an ashtray.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Damnit, I want to get a pipe now.

My friend just got one.

I don't smoke, but have enjoyed cigars in the past.

I could see myself using a pipe about once a month like Takl suggests.

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
Nice post Tak.

Here is my pipe.

PICT0095.jpg

I noticed both you and strider have straight pipes, I found the drop stem (or whatever this style is actually called) to sit a little better in my mouth with the weight lower and not so far out making it feel more comfortable.

Smoked it twice so far. Loving it, so much lighter than cigar smoking (with the right tobacco at least) the draw is so easy and you still get a mouthful of flavor with feeling like you've completely licked an ashtray.

nice one lithy

the trick with a billiard, or any other straight stem pipe is to make sure that the actual business end of the pipe is as light a possible, a front heavy billiard will make you feel like you are fighting to keep it in your mouth. and clenching is extremely difficult.

Like with my pipe, I can clench it no problem, because it is so well balanced.

Oh, and if you want to sound cool, your pipe is a calabash style pipe. Happy smoking man.

also, don't let the head and stem cool separately, doing so will mess up the union between the pipe and the stem. It will become loose, ash and resins will collect in the gaps and it can become messy.

Damnit, I want to get a pipe now.

My friend just got one.

I don't smoke, but have enjoyed cigars in the past.

I could see myself using a pipe about once a month like Takl suggests.

One word of caution, pipe tobacco is stronger than most garden variety cigarettes, and some cigars. So if you don't smoke your first few pipe experiences can be pretty disorienting.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
nice one lithy

the trick with a billiard, or any other straight stem pipe is to make sure that the actual business end of the pipe is as light a possible, a front heavy billiard will make you feel like you are fighting to keep it in your mouth. and clenching is extremely difficult.

Like with my pipe, I can clench it no problem, because it is so well balanced.

Oh, and if you want to sound cool, your pipe is a calabash style pipe. Happy smoking man.

also, don't let the head and stem cool separately, doing so will mess up the union between the pipe and the stem. It will become loose, ash and resins will collect in the gaps and it can become messy.

One word of caution, pipe tobacco is stronger than most garden variety cigarettes, and some cigars. So if you don't smoke your first few pipe experiences can be pretty disorienting.

I'll keep that in mind, any websites where i can read about this stuff?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Smoking Tobacco (Cigars, Pipes) Gives me mouth lesions....

So I used to do some nasal snuff..... Shit was crazy....

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Nice post Tak.

Here is my pipe.

PICT0095.jpg

Nice pipe, the finish looks great.

I tried a lot of different variants but always ended up with straight pipes. striderpunk made a good point with the pipe balance, the better models aren't as difficult to keep in your mouth than it seems. When I'm smoking I hardly lay down the pipe until it's finished so the straight stem makes it possible to hold it in the corner of my mouth to avoid getting smoke in my eyes.

I had a calabash for quite a while before my current pipe. It's not a very exclusive model or anything but it does the trick for me. One day I'll make my own pipe, already bought a large piece of Bruyere wood but I'm not very good at carving so this will take some time. One of my fave tobacconists has a selection of books on pipe making, guess I'll get me one of those to get started. Design-wise I'm thinking of starting with a classic 19th century England pipe called nosewarmer, the original models were mostly made of clay but I always wanted to have a wooden version of it. This page has some pics of typical nosewarmer bowls, my fave is the 1880s model (scroll down shortly past the middle of the page). These pipes are very small, most of them have a length of less than 10cm/4".

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
I'm starting a group for pipe smokers.

it will be known as "The Distinguished Gentlemen."