The wonders of modern life ??!!!

fighting mania

Zero's Tailor
http://www.nypost.com/seven/0731200...eye_tattoo_risks_health_dr__rock_positano.htm

RISKS
DON'T LOSE SIGHT OF LUNACY OF EYE TATTOO
By DR. ROCK POSITANO
You're nuts if you'd let a tattoo artist stick a needle in your cornea.July 31, 2007 -- IF you think tattoos are so over, you've got another think coming. The latest in permanent ink? Tats on your eyeball. That's right - a sharp stick in the eye.

When doctors do it, it's called corneal tattooing; but when perfectly healthy folks looking for new horizons in tattooing, piercing, scarring, etc., do it, it's nuts.

Last month, the online magazine BMEzine.com (short for Body Modification) started chronicling three people's efforts to turn the whites of their eyes blue.

To tattoo the eyes, they used two different procedures. First they used a traditional needle with ink on it, but when the ink didn't hold, they switched to a syringe that injected ink into the eye. The most recent posts indicate that all was well, with one of the guys saying it felt like he had something in his eye.

"It's quite amazing," says Lane Jensen, who saw the tattooing take place at a Canadian body-modification convention earlier this month. "Over the last couple weeks, it's flooded across the white and stained the eyeball perfectly," Jensen, who also publishes Tattoo & Piercing magazine, tells The Post. "It's trippy - and definitely starts some interesting conversations."

But that's not to say it's a good idea.

"Cosmetic tattooing of the cornea can be extremely dangerous," advises Dr. Sandra Belmont, a clinical associate professor of ophthalmology at Weill Cornell Medical Center-New York Presbyterian Hospital.

"Infection, perforation and hemorrhage are among the potential complications," she adds.

There are, however, good reasons for getting an eye tattoo. If a person has suffered eye trauma - burning, laceration or bruising - scars can result, which a tattoo can cover. It can also help people with leucoma - an opaque blemish, usually white in color -and return the eye's appearance to one of more normalcy.

While corneal tattooing is readily available in New York City for patients, customers will have a harder time convincing a doctor to do the procedure. Jensen, the Canadian tattoo fan, says that while doctors were willing to consult on the procedure, none would actually perform it, leaving it to a tattoo artist.

"I certainly recommend corneal tattooing in a patient with a corneal scar - but I do not recommend these procedures to be performed solely for the purpose of body adornment due to significant vision-threatening side effects," Belmont says.

Not least of which is difficulty of removal. If you worry about regretting that yin-yang symbol on your ankle, just think how you'll feel with kaleidoscope eyes.

Dr. Rock is the director of the Nonsurgical Foot and Ankle Service at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York. Reach him at drrock@nypost.com.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
interesting.
i would never do anything with the eyes though.
that's crazy.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
disgusting. people are idiots. i hope they all go blind.

Eric

Fight On!,
BMEzine.com is an awesome site. He posts a lot of great looking women. :D

Some of the shit posted like the scarring is a bit much, but other stuff is pretty cool.

Not too sure about doing the whites of the eye (seems a bit much, but hey, that's what some people are into) but if changing the iris was possible it could do some cool effects. (but I suppose that's what those gimmicky contacts are for)

rain16ve.jpg

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
We reap what we sew....... body modification? HA! more like body mutilation....
BB

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I got LASIK a month and a half ago and my eyes still feel kinda scratchy at times.

Those people are out of their minds.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Heh, I guess I'm lucky then (or unlucky)... I was born with blue sclera.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Next thing you know, people will be getting their colons tattooed.:tickled:

aria

Former Moderator
Last month, the online magazine BMEzine.com (short for Body Modification) started chronicling three people's efforts to turn the whites of their eyes blue.

Am I the only one who thinks these people were trying to look like Fremen? :buttrock:

Muad'Dib!

the idea is awesome, the practice is a very bad idea.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
Am I the only one who thinks these people were trying to look like Fremen? :buttrock:

Muad'Dib!

the idea is awesome, the practice is a very bad idea.
IDIOTS! They don't need to get their eyes tattooed. They just need to work in the spice mines. The saturation of the spice will give them blue within blue eyes.

SHAAAAAAAAAII HALLLUUUUUUUUUD...........

aria

Former Moderator
SPINMASTER X said:
IDIOTS! They don't need to get their eyes tattooed. They just need to work in the spice mines. The saturation of the spice will give them blue within blue eyes.

SHAAAAAAAAAII HALLLUUUUUUUUUD...........

The second moon...

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I'd recommend laying off the melange once your eyes turn blue enough... the long-term side effects are pretty nasty. :emb:

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
i drank the water of life..............

....................and lived.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
interesting...horribly stupid...but interesting. I'm sure it'll be something if they can change the color of your eyes, like making a brown eyed person blue eyed.

aria

Former Moderator
neojedi said:
I'd recommend laying off the melange once your eyes turn blue enough... the long-term side effects are pretty nasty. :emb:

Nah, that's only if you let the sand trout merge with you --personally, I think the long term benefits of that are a bit underrated.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
BIG BEAR said:
We reap what we sew....... body modification? HA! more like body mutilation....
BB
I never knew my grandma posted on Neo-Geo.com :eek:

FormlessOne

Chin's Drinking Partner
SPINMASTER X said:
i drank the water of life..............

....................and lived.

I've never read Dune, but you guys always make it sound like the funniest book ever.