To buy or not to buy: joust sitdown cocktail

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
Sup!

i have an opportunity to get a joust sit-down cocktail that is in awesome shape for $800

a little on the rich side in terms of pricing however the monitor is very sharp, inside very clean. artwork and top glass is in really nice shape so no restoration required.

What do you think. would you pay $800 for an original cab of the game you loved since you could hardly remember? :help:

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
I am not sure of the going price for a cocktail Joust, but I thought I have heard the cocktail versions are hard to come by. I guess it all comes down to if you have the money for it and are comfortable paying that price. If yes on both accounts, then go for it. I know there are a number of cabs I would like to get, but I don't have the extra money due to raising kids. If you get it, it would be great to see some pictures of it.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I've only seen one in my entire life. If you can afford it and like the game, that's not an outrageous price at all. It's said by a project member that 500 were made. That also checks out with the estimated number of Robotron cocktails, another game from that year made by Williams. Unfortunately with cocktails, it's the AES conundrum. You end up paying more for essentially the same thing, but I would be proud to own a Joust cocktail. I'd say go for it.

Last edited:

monads

Mr. Big's Thug
10 Year Member
Yeah, not sure on the going rate for these either. I'm not sure I feel the 'cocktail' layout of this cab, probably because I love the pac-man 'cocktail' style. If you really like the cab, then go for it!!!! Did the price include shipping/transport?

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
Yeah, not sure on the going rate for these either. I'm not sure I feel the 'cocktail' layout of this cab, probably because I love the pac-man 'cocktail' style. If you really like the cab, then go for it!!!! Did the price include shipping/transport?

It's local, I've seen and played it first hand at the Calgary pincade last year, and I have a friend who would help me move it.

the 2 player cocktail layout is surprisingly roomy compared to going shoulder to shoulder with a friend on a standard 19" stand up.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
As long as you can get your money back for it down the road, what's the harm in buying it? If you love the game that much, then go for it. And post pics once you get it!

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I don't think you'd have much trouble getting around that price for it should you need to, then again, I'm not in Canada. The cocktail layout is very nice for this game if you can get used to the angle of looking at the monitor. Nice cab.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Just to be sure we are talking about this right?

DSCF1416.jpg

Its a unique design I will give it that much, but I don't like the style/shape of the body at all. Seems like a huge footprint for a 2 player cocktail as well. ebinsugewa is totally right about the premium price, often I see this style list for well above (east coast) the 800$ mark so it could be much worse.

My personal top three cocktails of all time:

Midway Pacman/Ms. Pacman
MrsPacman_Cocktail.jpg

Sega Zaxxon/Congo Bongo
1181242188184.jpg

Nintendo Vs. Dualsystem
118124214248.jpg

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
just wait for someone to give you one. That actually happens. Post about how you want one and someone will be like "thank god! take this!"

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Yes, I've been on the look out for one in my area for a while now. Definitely one of the more unique cocktails. The nice part is you can sit it flush against a wall and still be able to play with both players.

The only thing you may have to worry about is the general Williams era issues. Things like ribbon cables becoming brittle and needing replaced and ram chips that tend to fail. Though there's a common and simple mod that lets you use replace them with less error prone and easier to come by chips. I've done these on my sinistar.

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
Just to be sure we are talking about this right?

View attachment 10583

Its a unique design I will give it that much, but I don't like the style/shape of the body at all. Seems like a huge footprint for a 2 player cocktail as well. ebinsugewa is totally right about the premium price, often I see this style list for well above (east coast) the 800$ mark so it could be much worse.

My personal top three cocktails of all time:

Sega Zaxxon/Congo Bongo
View attachment 10585

You Got it! that's the one. True, the footprint is quite large. but realistically it is because it's one of the first few 2 player cabs with simultaneous play on a horizontal monitor.
for 1982 that's way ahead of it's time.

Apparently people Frankenstein these cabs to make a 2 player Mame, thats Sacrilege!

I actually currently own a Sega gremlin cocktail with Frogger, nice little 13" monitor

Last edited:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
My friend Tim (Jumblejunkie on Youtube) recently got a Joust cocktail that had been converted into another game at one point. He's planning on getting a Williams Multiboard and trying to bring it back to life as a Joust but also have it so you can play other games.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Having seen one in person it's really not that much bigger than the average cocktail, and it's a hundred times cooler.