Tom Yum Goong - Tony Jaa's new flick

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
I just hope he plays it straight this time (or at least the nature of the film overall), as I didn't dig the whole slapstick Jacky Chan-esque crap that dominated most of the film. Sure it has it moments like the lady selling knives in the middle of a chase/fight, but that was about it. The fight scenes were over the top and to die for in ONG BAK, but I felt most of the film was wasted on the character of Dirty Balls and that annoying girl. Hard to tell just how serious or non-serious the film will be from just the trailers alone. I want him to go Sonny Chiba on someone (i.e. batshit crazy).

GK

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Grizzly King said:
Hard to tell just how serious or non-serious the film will be from just the trailers alone.

If the name is any indicator... Tom Yum Goong means "Shrimp spicy sour soup". It's got to be hard core serious to pull off that name. I don't think I'm kidding.

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
I'm pretty excited about it. I liked Ong Bak so much I watched it 4 times in one week.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
ForeverSublime said:
If the name is any indicator... Tom Yum Goong means "Shrimp spicy sour soup". It's got to be hard core serious to pull off that name. I don't think I'm kidding.

I hope you're right but once I saw that guy who played Dirty Balls in ONG BAK in the trailers I'm thinking it's going to be another Ranma 1/2 meets 80's JCVD action film. You know, like how the movie Blood Sport was serious but we had scenes of Van Damme outrunning Forrest Whittaker and some white dude while a gay assed song called "Everybody Follow The Leader" blared outloud?

I dunno. I'm skeptical. The dude has Skillz that kill alright, but the slapstick shit needs to be put away. Maybe if this was co-directed by Ringo Lam (who did enough films in Thailand or with Thai crews) it be closer in darkness and seriousness to stuff like "Full Contact". I say more like Chiba's Street Fighter and less like Chan's Wheels on Meals.

GK

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
ive got the making of and its about an hour lenght of action. propbably all the fights are reviewed there and from an action point of view it looks great. the story will still be slapstick like you thought.

dullbuoy

Leon Ther,
Tom Yum Goong is the name of the restaurant in the movie that is also the headquarters of the bad guys.