Treachery in Beatdown City

saner

Krauser's Henchman
wtf..... now this is strange
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW7T71Ath3Q
http://beatdowncity.com/

and they picked Switch over PS4????? they really want less profits? or is nintendo simply that much easier to contact and do business with than Sony? well its on PC also. though really they prioritized Switch over PS4. like, there are tons of retro games that are released every month on PS4. a game doesn't have to have high graphics to be marketable on the console.

I dunno, even devs like Temtem's devs and Illfonic include PS4 in their game plans.

oh well, at least Streets of Rage 4 is coming to PS4. and while Fight N Rage appeared on Switch, it later was released on PS4 too.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I don't think it would be possible to devise a game that looks less appealing to me than this one.

This game's presentation and style is the epitome of uncool, and misses the entire point of what made video games cool, and not obnoxious pandering trash.

Though keep your game news coming saner. You're hit or (mostly) miss, but I like your hits.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Pandering. It is a good word. Holds much meaning in these new climes.
Can you believe Streets of Rage isn't going to be called Bare Knuckle? or is it? At least not from the get go.
Maybe I'll get a big surprise and I'll actually like it.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
I don't think it would be possible to devise a game that looks less appealing to me than this one.

This game's presentation and style is the epitome of uncool, and misses the entire point of what made video games cool, and not obnoxious pandering trash.

Though keep your game news coming saner. You're hit or (mostly) miss, but I like your hits.

they didnt even get Lisa's portrait right. its like they arbitrarily wanted to make her look cringey. what a waste.
theres a lot of devs with bad taste with overall direction. the game had potential. also the turn/menu based rpg gimmicks really waters down the action.
grrr its so frustrating. even developers with high production values dont do beat em ups right. look at The Bouncer, they didnt even design the campaign to support co-op at all. they should have designed the campaign levels with the multiplayer level and camera format sort it could support 4 players against group of enemies. leaving the extras exclusive to versus and survival mode is so cheap. and the kidnapped damsel trope is overdone. they should have made the bartender get kidnapped instead so Dominique could fight alongside the others the whole way through. the more story they pack into a beat em up, the less fun and free it becomes.

Urban Reign has great fighting, but its story is locked to mostly solo missions, and co-op requires a button code that has to be done insanely fast at the title screen. the camera only focuses on player 1, but thats ok, but whats not ok is how hit and miss Urban Reign's game design direction went. 100 co-op supported missions is better than mostly solo missions. and there should be a vast selection of playable characters at the start. pandering to the Brad wannabe demographic is shortsighted.
on top of that, they support 4 players versus, but what about 4 players co-op? the engine can handle it. it was nice adding Paul and Law but they could have easily crafted a better beat em up, its a.i. and mechanics was sensational but yea its such a shame how the devs really weren't making the right decisions half the time.

Mirror's Edge could have been a beat em up, but the parkour, platforming and pacifist angle really weakened it. they had the means to make it co-op supported too online, but it was a wasted opportunity to present a true next gen beat em up. even as is, the game and its reboot failed to get attention. they should have provided a variety of playable characters, enviornments packed with enemies and bosses, more emphasis on its hand to hand combat, add some usable and throwable weapons, aaaaaah developers are so clueless and really have bad minds running the show.

beat em up genre deserves better, who the heck thinks running, platforming, avoiding combat, and emphasis on hollywood storytelling is "fun"?
who thinks games without co-op are better than those with co-op? and to think these games have production values that could elevate beat em up genre to higher levels, instead of influencing developers to stay down to cheap retro levels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydzvEate440

Last edited: