Trying to repair a 4 slot MVS board. Any suggestions ?

ritek

n00b
Hello all. I picked up a dead 4 slot MVS board a while back and last night I started to see if I could clean it up and possibly repair it. There is no physical damage to the boards that I can see. Both boards are free of battery leakage and there's no visual signs of corrosion or damage to the capacitors or board connectors.

When attaching to a known good jamma harness the board mvs attempts to boot as I see the usual green boot screen, but it repeats in an endless loop. I do not know how to switch the boot to use another slot to determine if its just the first slot that is bad or not. I've populated each of the 4 slots hoping that the system may cycle through slots during its boot process, but the same green screen boot cycle continued.

Any suggestions on things to try? I know that I need to clean the boards up a bit, but anything beyond the basic cleaning? What's generally the best first step in troubleshooting this type of failed boot issue?

Attached is a picture of the boards. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

4slot_mvs01.jpg

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
This thread should be in the tech support forums, but welcome to the site!

As you know, the Neo MVS boards are COMPLETELY jamma so you may have some issues with a jamma harness.. beyond that I'm not sure what the issue could be.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
This thread should be in the tech support forums, but welcome to the site!

As you know, the Neo MVS boards are COMPLETELY jamma so you may have some issues with a jamma harness.. beyond that I'm not sure what the issue could be.

The 1 Slot NEO boards have a JAMMA Edge connector.

The 2, 4, and 6 Slot boards have an MVS Edge connector.

Subtle differences. The most important is the Mono vs Stereo configuration. Don't blow the amp. ;)

5569027243_9570423c3a_z.jpg

Last edited:

ritek

n00b
Thank you both for the replies and sorry for posting in the wrong area. I searched for help and hardware, should have looked for support... Should I repost it there for the correct audience or would an admin prefer to move it?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
The mods can move it when they're ready. Just keep posting.

Check Dip Switch #8: Make sure it is up.

And find a Multi-Meter. You will need to check the +5V lines to the board, at the edge connector, with the power ON, to make sure the board is getting enough power.

Also, better find your de/soldering gear. You're going to want to have a peek under that stock battery to make sure everything is ok.

Last edited:

ritek

n00b
I did a quick check on the dip switches and although 8 was down, switching it to up didn't change things. I read about the other switches and I left 1-6 down and 7-8 up, but that still didn't have any change.

I need to dig up the multimeter and certainly desolder that battery.

I'm going to give the boards a good cleaning and see if I find any traces that may be cut in the process.

Thanks for the suggestions.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
A reboot loop sounds like a power issue to me. I'd definitely check the power out of that PSU. The 4 slot is a pretty power hungry board, so there's a good chance as soon as it is drawing enough power, your PSU cuts and you're seeing that power-cycle.

ritek

n00b
Thanks, going to dig out the volt meter and make sure the Peter chow is giving enough power.

Will report back afterwards